Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just joined & my story so far

User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 09:26

Hi everyone

As the title explains, I have just joined.

My dad (67 years young) was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer almost 10 years ago, spread throughout his body etc. 

He has never had any signs or symptoms in fact we only found out he had cancer due to an insect bite.

He has been on various treatments (tablets) and a course of chemo about 4 years ago. His PSA level has been up and down throughout the years, going as low as 4 at one point. 

Everything has been good, well as it can be up until August this year. The tablets haven't worked and the cancer has increased in size throughout the spine area, his PSA has jumped from 65 in August to 165 this week.

Some may say we are lucky to have had the 10 years, I know he was given only 7 to 18 months at the start.

The consultants don't seem too worried and will start my dad on chemo again in the new year, they don't want to start anything sooner as they want to see what the PSA level does!

Even with the ever increasing PSA level, there are still no symptoms, pain etc. Just the side effects from all the treatment, but I guess that's a price worth paying.

I am 42 and lucky my family are still intact, my mum fought off breast cancer 15 years ago and recovered, but its still so worrying as we don't know what's ahead, what if this is the end of the road as treatment goes!! 

We lost a good friend this year to ovarian cancer, she was only 35 and fought up until the end.

You are never fully prepared for what life has planned for you, I guess we have to play the game.

Thanks 8) 

User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 11:32

Hello Andrew and welcome.

Do you know your dad's original PSA score and also his Gleason score? It would help members offer you advice if they have a starting point. I know you say 65 in August and now 165 but all information is useful.

I'm sorry your mum has also been through the mill. You say she fought off breast cancer so presumably she is now in remission? Yes it is always a worry that cancer will return (my daughter in law fought of her breast cancer over 12 years ago but I'm sure it is always in the back of her mind) but you cannot live the rest of your life waiting for the other shoe to drop as it will effect the quality and enjoyment that you have.

The only thing I would ask is - have you already had a PSA test to check for prostate cancer?

I know you are only 42 and some GPs will dismiss the possibility but if you were my son I would be strongly advising you to get one done, especially given your mum's history as well.

As far as advice for your dad is concerned there are a number of men on here with spread like his and they will be along to advise you at some stage.

In the meantime
Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 12:04

Hi Sandra

Thanks for your reply.

His score was 375 on the 4th June 2006, it was also in his bones.

I have asked him to find out what his Gleason score is, as I understand it he has not been told!

He has never suffered any ill health or pain from this, apart from the side effects of the treatment. The treatment or tablets have been varied over the years, some tables have stopped working, and then started working again after changing drugs. 

I will speak to my GP about having tests, its always been at the back of my mind.

Andrew

Edited by member 19 Nov 2015 at 12:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 13:24

hi Andrew
great that your dad has had a further 10years, gives a lot of hope to some of us on here to read this, seems like your family has been through the mill a bit, none of us would say any body is lucky to have what extra time we get, luck doesn't come into it

does your dad have any specific diet or is it cook it and I will scoff it

its just that some folk say a good diet can help, I haven't changed mine a lot since been diagnosed tend to have less dairy products and red meat

you do need to get a PSA test done

regards
nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 14:10

Hi Nidge

thanks for your reply.

He likes his food and eats what he likes to be honest. He drinks a fair amount of Cranberry Juice, takes supplements one of them being broccoli tablets.

I know in the past he has taken Ibuprofen for a bad neck and with the medication for is PC at the time lowered the PSA somewhat more than usual.

His PSA has been high before, but it just makes us all worry that things will take a turn for the worst!

Andrew 

User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 16:01

Andrew you say you have been thinking about a PSA test. Time to stop thinking and get it done young man.

Even if it doesn't show as being high it gives you a baseline for future tests.

Please don't be fobbed off by your GP as he may well tell you that it isn't likely to happen given your age.

The younger men, in their early/mid forties on here would disagree.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 16:17

You are right and I will be making an appointment with the Dr to get this test done tomorrow.

User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 17:23

Hi Andrew, if it was already in his bones when he was originally diagnosed they might not have bothered doing a biopsy in which case he won't have a Gleason score.

From what you say, the first lot of chemo worked fantastically well and data suggests that if it works well the first time it also works well the second time. Beyond that, it may be that he is offered one of the newer drugs as they become approved or as part of a trial. This may sound bizarre since it was in his bones at a young age but it certainly sounds like your dad's cancer is more of a pussy cat than a tiger and is quite responsive to treatment. Something to be grateful for.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 19 Nov 2015 at 17:32

Hi

thanks so much for all your positive responses

he has always responded well to treatment, the PSA has been as low as 0.4 before, so we are all hoping it can be lowered or even managed again