I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad cant have any treatment

User
Posted 24 Nov 2015 at 21:09
My dad was diagnosed 2 years ago. For some time he was told it was nothing to worry about and that is hadn't grown. However in recent months it's all kicked off. It turns out they missed another lump which has been growing.... He had his 1st scan 2/3 months ago. He has been passed around Dr's and told he will be given hormone treatment, radiotherapy, chemotherapy etc, then he can't then he can. Today, after 3 weeks of Dr's deliberating over the options he was told there is nothing they can do due to complications with other health issues he has. He will just have to rely on the psa test (is this reliable?) Or if he feels different to give them a ring....

My dad seems to be relieved at some level, but I'm worried about him. He keeps it all inside and I guess I want to support him best I can....

Sorry for the ramble

User
Posted 24 Nov 2015 at 23:01

Hello Katie,

Sorry you join us because your father has PCa. It is bad enough to be diagnosed with this disease but in his case is compounded by an inadequate diagnosis and then being told he can't have treatment that he was previously told he could have. I would have thought that his other health problems would have been known about previously before he was told he could have treatment. Is it certain that he can't at least have HT? PSA tests only monitor the advance of PCa and athough not completely reliable, used regularly over time does give an indication of how the cancer is developing.

In his situation, I would want to know why I was not being given the scan; was it because this was a problem in itself or because a very high PSA and worse than expected biopsy indicated that the cancer was already well advanced and the MRI would not add anything much? I would also want confirmation that no treatment could be offered now whatsoever even with the risk of perhaps worse side effects or whether this would be reviewed as/if the cancer further advanced. On the other hand he may just want to accept what he is told and do nothing.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Nov 2015 at 23:19

Barry, I think he had the scan

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Nov 2015 at 23:25

Hi Katie,
it sounds like when your dad was diagnosed 2 years ago he opted for active surveillance rather than treatment, possibly because of his other medical problems. That surveillance has now alerted the doctors that his cancer is progressing which just goes to show that active surveillance does what it says on the tin.

It seems that now the different doctors (probably this was a multi-disciplinary team with a urologist, an oncologist and another doctor or nurse specilaist) have advised dad to continue with the active surveillance for the time being. What is important about AS is that it should include regular PSA tests, a finger up the bum at least once a year to see if everything feels the same as before and a scan every year. Put in your diary now a reminder to check that dad gets another scan next October / November.

If his PSA rose very quickly or he started to have more side effects from the cancer, they might do a scan more often than once a year.

Edited by member 25 Nov 2015 at 00:42  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Nov 2015 at 09:42
Thank you for you reply Barry. The reason for not getting a scan sooner was basically human error, which is terribly disheartening.I am visiting my dad this weekend so I may speak to him about the points you raised. Unfortunately my father suffers with his mental health also so sometimes it is best that his family do the research and communication side of things on his behalf, although I would never undermine him.

It is unclear to me at the moment what the prognosis is as to whether there is considerable growth or not.

I am going to take action and look into the points you raised, so thank you once again x

User
Posted 25 Nov 2015 at 10:50

Hi Katie,

Sorry I misread the bit about having the scan and am obliged to Lyn for pointing this out, otherwise the rest stands. Good that you are checking his situation.

Edited by member 25 Nov 2015 at 10:52  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 25 Nov 2015 at 18:44
Hi, thanks for your post.

To clarify yes my dad did have a scan, however only just. I guess I'm just making sure I get up to speed with what is happening, what the options are and how to support my dad, and of course my mum.

I think you are right, the docs and others had a big meeting last week to discuss options and this is what they decided.

Thank you for taking time to reply to my message. It's is greatly appreciated!!!!