Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Survivor - Surgery (prostatectomy / RP)

User
Posted 28 Nov 2015 at 14:33

Hi all,

This is for those of you who have either just been diagnosed, living with (surveillance) or coming up to having surgery.

Back in August i had robotic prostatectomy to remove my cancer. I was a scary time leading up to it & took me a while to take the plunge. There was nothing to be scared of. I was only in hospital for four days.

Day 1: The surgery itself. Within 3 hours of being back on the ward i was eating a cheese sandwich & drinking tea. A bit sore but manageable. I was actually surprised how well i felt considering what had happened.

Day 2: Up & about walking around the ward. I had a Catheter fitted during the surgery which is more of a nuisance than anything (kept getting it the way) & a small drainage tube to take away any other liquids. No pain with either of them. You will be given pain killers so you do not really have any pain to speak of.

Day 3: Same as day 2 really, walking around & getting bored. Had a visit from the Physiotherapist to give guidance on exercises to strengthen the muscles. Had the drainage tube removed. This does not hurt just feels really weird.

Day 4: Visit from my surgeon to see if i was fit to go home. Thankfully i was. You the get lessons on emptying & looking after the catheter. I got given all the equipment needed including a months supply of injections (more on these below). The only pain killer i needed by then was Ibuprofen which the hospital also supplied. I was back at home for tea time! Job done.

The procedure leaves you with 5 tiny scars (about 1cm) & 1 slightly bigger one (3cm). Mine were stapled rather than stitched. The catheter was removed 10 days later at the Urology outpatients (again did not hurt just feels really odd).

The injections i mentioned are to prevent blood clots i think & you give yourself one each day in your stomach. This was the bit I really was not looking forward too. Do not worry though, the Nurse shows you how to do it & it really is very very easy. The syringe contains one dose & after you have administered it you dispose of the whole syringe (you will be supplied with a yellow sharps box for this). Again no pain & after you have done your first one your away.

Thats about it for the surgery & stay in hospital. It will worry you right up to the procedure & i don't mind saying i was pretty terrified but once its done you really will wonder what you worried about. Don't get me wrong, it is a big thing, but the staff will put you at your ease.

I realise that my story may not be the same for everyone. Different health authorities & hospitals may do things differently. All i can say is for me & the other two chaps on my ward it was nowhere nearly as scary or painful as any of us thought it would be.

Its almost 4 months now since the "op" & i can hardly see the scars. Main problem for myself is continence. Urine dribbles when you sneeze, cough, stand up & sit-down. I feel worse than it is & it gets less each week. You just have to be patient & do the excersises you are given.

I hope this helps anyone who is going to be undergoing the robotic surgery or if you are still undecided what to do.

If I can do it so can you

Oh yes forgot to say that I was lucky & the cancer was all contained within the prostate so I am happy to announce I am cancer free!!

User
Posted 28 Nov 2015 at 19:26

Thanks for this, it's really interesting to read other people's journeys as I'm nearing 4 weeks post LRP, and this helps keep the motivation going....

Duncan

User
Posted 28 Nov 2015 at 23:48

Did you find your experience pretty much the same?

User
Posted 29 Nov 2015 at 06:39

hi david

it was good to read your treatment story, I am sure that this will help a lot of men/women who are looking at or thinking about what you have just been through

great news on the result

regards

nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 29 Nov 2015 at 09:36

Hi
It's good to be able to give a blow by blow account about procedures that will help those that are in similar situations, unfortunately I was not able to have a RP because of where the cancer is in my prostate but so far it is contained within the capsule and am grateful for that.

Information is a wonderful thing especially when given by someone that has been there!

Hope all stays well with you, congratulations with your result.

Cheers Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint