I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hi folks

User
Posted 21 Dec 2015 at 04:09
Been an eventful few months for me - having being diagnosed positive I decided to have a radical prostatectomy - the operation was done in the brand new hospital in Glasgow on Friday 11 December - the operation was at 9am and I was discharged from hospital on Saturday 12 December at 5pm - catheter being removed today at 10am - wish me luck with that - this site has proven to be very helpful in recent weeks - many many thanks - Thomas
User
Posted 21 Dec 2015 at 13:59
Welcome Thomas, I have to say it is quite unusual to see a first post where a Man has gone through all the diagnosis, the debates about which treatment, the surgery and is already out the other side,

Well done you, So Catheter is out by now and hopefully your bladder is doing all that it should at this stage.

The surgery you have had is major and that goes for any method performed, so you must listen very carefully to all the things you need to do to recover as quickly but as successfully as possible.

I have heard that the new facility at Glasgow is amazing a really progressive step forward. Of course Glasgow hosts one of the most compehensive cancer research centres and medical schools as well.

There are quite a few men and their wives or partners posting at the moment in a similar timeframe as yourself as well as many who underwent the surgery anything from 3 months to 10 or more years ago. No two cases seem to be exactly the same but there is a lot of information and support available if you need it.

all the best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 21 Dec 2015 at 15:56
Thanks for that Mo - well i am presently in ward 11c and have successfully passed my first sample - two more then hopefully home without a catheter - just been told I can go home after dinner - fantastic!

Edited by member 21 Dec 2015 at 16:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Dec 2015 at 16:04
Be nice to be home for christmas

Regards

Nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 21 Dec 2015 at 16:14

Hello Thomas and welcome to the site.

Glad everything seems to have gone well for you. I hope it continues and that you have an exciting, enjoyable but medically uneventful Christmas.

Be good and do all the exercises or whatever you have been advised.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Dec 2015 at 18:57

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Been an eventful few months for me - having being diagnosed positive I decided to have a radical prostatectomy - the operation was done in the brand new hospital in Glasgow on Friday 11 December - the operation was at 9am and I was discharged from hospital on Saturday 12 December at 5pm - catheter being removed today at 10am - wish me luck with that - this site has proven to be very helpful in recent weeks - many many thanks - Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Well.  No opportunity for anyone to ask have you considered X, Y or Z as a treatment option.  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

You have been here for some weeks?  It may help others who are starting out if you outline your thought process and what made you go for the op?

May give them food for thought.  I wish you well in your recovery.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 00:20
After my biopsy and mri scan I was referred to the Glasgow Beatson for an appointment - treatment options were fully explained and at that point I was of the opinion that active surveillance was the road to adopt - I was convinced otherwise by my consultant at Glasgow Victoria Clinic - he explained that my PSA was on the rise and at 58 years of age I should consider radical prostatectomy - I was impressed by his interpretation of my circumstances and after doing some research on his credentials I decided to take his advice - not having previously undergone any surgery he showed an empathy which was reassuring for me - I do feel that the whole process has been incredibly quick and this evening lying in my bed at home I feel a bit bemused about the whole affair - I have a follow up appointment with my consultant on 21 January - the way I saw things was that if an articulate professional was giving me his truthful advice then who was I to ignore that advice - I do realise that I shall have to change my lifestyle somewhat and yes listen to the advice given regarding pelvic exercise and the like - my nurse in Glasgow today told me that many more men are being treated for prostate related issues than ever before - lets hope that whatever treatment we are given is favourable to us in the long term - by the way tonight I am feeling good albeit a wee bit damp in the lower region - time for a few muscle exercises before I fall asleep

Edited by member 22 Dec 2015 at 06:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 00:39

R850r, we don't have many rules on here but naming the medics is a big no-no - best edit it before the moderators come along :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 06:38
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

R850r, we don't have many rules on here but naming the medics is a big no-no - best edit it before the moderators come along :-(

Should have known better - sorry

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 17:23
Welcome r850r

You are almost exactly 12 months behind my oh, who was also 58 at diagnosis.

Have a great Christmas. Take each day as it comes.

Louise