I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Intro – Read this first!

User
Posted 06 Jan 2016 at 10:41

This is a section for younger men with prostate cancer. We are not putting an age limit on it but it’s aimed at men who are either still employed or who have not yet reached state pension age. We want to create a space where you can talk about issues such as employment family or relationship issues, which may be different from the issues that older men have. 

Who can post here?

Men who are below state pension age, men who have young or dependent children, or for whom the option of having or not having children is a factor in their choice of treatment. We're not blocking access for anyone else, but we respectfully ask those who fall outside these guidelines not to post here. If posts are made that seem to be from others, please report them and we'll make changes as needed to keep the space focused on those it’s intended for.

Can I post the same question/ comment in more than one topic area?

Yes – Some discussions may be relevant in more than one topic area. However, you may wish to post in this section to easily be able to focus the discussion with others whose life experience/ circumstances currently most closely match yours.

Is there a need for this specific area?

We're not sure, and that is why we are trialling it! We know that people benefit from sharing experiences and concerns with others who have similar experiences. We also know that support groups in the community only attract a very small proportion of the younger men who are diagnosed with prostate cancer. This means that younger men can sometimes feel that their own experiences in the group are quite different from the other members, particularly in relation to topics such as having dependent children, employment issues and sex/relationships.  Also, some groups may not meet at times convenient to men who are still working. We want to see if providing a dedicated space for younger men can enable discussions with a larger number of men than they may meet without the online community.

Edited by member 06 Jan 2016 at 10:52  | Reason: Not specified