I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Coconut oil for cooking

User
Posted 13 Jan 2016 at 10:54

The supposed benefits of cooking with coconut oil were explained to me recently. A friend of mine has early stage Parkinsons, as a result his family have researched diet and cooking to help minimise the speed at which his disease progresses.  

During the conversation we also discussed frying with various oils, and I had read that using Olive oil at high temperatures, extra virgin, first pressed or whatever, produces "free radicals" in the oil and into the food, I think I have that term correct.  I have read and heard that these  FRs are not good for you.  I had tried Rapeseed oil, Sunflower oil, but apparently the Coconut oil is the best oil for cooking.

Having tried it and comparing label information it has less fat G per G than Olive oil.  Lidl or Aldi have it on offer at the moment, £2.99 for a jar that originally cost me £3.99 in Tesco.

It gives a not unpleasant smell when cooking but hardly noticeable flavour to the fried food.  Anyone else using this?

As an aside, it is also very good for conditioning your hair!  If you have hair?

HTH someone

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2016 at 14:07

Hi CB99,

We use extra virgin coconut oil........but not for cooking, although many of my friends do.

I give coconut oil to the dogs daily in their food..... I can confirm it's makes their coats shine! http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

.....Some even massage it into their dogs coats to help with various skin conditions and allergies  etc....

There is a good deal at Holland and Barrett at the moment ....2 jars ( 16oz... 453g ) for £12

Luther

User
Posted 13 Jan 2016 at 22:52

Free radicals...aren't they an Indie Band

I'm afraid I still use Olive Oil...but if the research definitely says that's no good for Pca I may pick up some coconut oil when next in the supermarket....just to try it like

Bri

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 03:38

fried food what is that, not allowed fried food in our house

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 07:08

I use it for stir frys

Bri