I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

ED - and penile rehabilitation

User
Posted 21 Jan 2016 at 14:29
This is a follow up to my recent "GP-first visit " but due to the info I received today I thought I'd start again with a more general and less personal title.

I'm 17 months into HT and 1 year since last RT fraction with no RP.

I saw my wonderful GP today to discuss whether I should be referred for ED.

She told me that only last week that she had been on a PC UK course for GP's and she was delighted that I had been to see her today.

I was bombarded with many questions from her re my treatment and emotions in recovering.

I told her that I had joined online here and had received superb support from you all. She has nothing other than praise for this site.

She asked me to report today's consultation here so it may help others in a similar position.

She was absolutely amazed and horrified that no one had ever referred me from the hospital for this, as in her view it essential that penile health is maintained.

As I was told today "it's a muscle and should be exercised regularly".

I was absolutely right to seek a referral and that all men should once they start any treatment that could produce ED.

She intends to speak to her other PCa patients to bring it their attention.

In her opinion I should have seen her sooner but as I explained I wasn't emotionally ready nor saw the need to as I had no libido from the HT .

It was really only from this site and a conversation with a PCa friend that I realised I should be doing something.

It seems that referrals are more commonly available for RP patients than for the HT/RT patients.

On a aside to this I cannot believe how relaxed and uninhibited I've become talking about such personal matters since diagnosis.

I wasn't embarrassed at all today!

Now I wonder how long the standard waiting time is - ah yes ,just checked 37 days...............

User
Posted 21 Jan 2016 at 14:59

A wonderful GP indeed - great update Surr

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jan 2016 at 15:03

What a result Surr33 and what a GP.

The mere fact that she had been on a GP course for PC seems wonderful to me.

I know what you mean about discussions on personal issues. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought I would be discussing ED and its problems with strangers, but that's what this site does for you. It makes it seem that such discussions are perfectly normal and we are all so keen to help each other.

When John went to our GP for a first visit following low dose seed Brachytherapy the GP was fascinated by it and asked John lots of questions and that was only a year or so ago but the GP knew very little about it.
The poor man is himself being treated for a brain tumour now so he won't be back at the surgery for a very long time.

Good luck with your rehabilitation. I sincerely hope it's a success for you and I'm sure your post will help many men and their partners.

Edited by member 21 Jan 2016 at 15:03  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Jan 2016 at 14:59

A wonderful GP indeed - great update Surr

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jan 2016 at 15:03

What a result Surr33 and what a GP.

The mere fact that she had been on a GP course for PC seems wonderful to me.

I know what you mean about discussions on personal issues. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought I would be discussing ED and its problems with strangers, but that's what this site does for you. It makes it seem that such discussions are perfectly normal and we are all so keen to help each other.

When John went to our GP for a first visit following low dose seed Brachytherapy the GP was fascinated by it and asked John lots of questions and that was only a year or so ago but the GP knew very little about it.
The poor man is himself being treated for a brain tumour now so he won't be back at the surgery for a very long time.

Good luck with your rehabilitation. I sincerely hope it's a success for you and I'm sure your post will help many men and their partners.

Edited by member 21 Jan 2016 at 15:03  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Jan 2016 at 12:40
Well, I am impressed.

I saw my superb GP on Thursday last week and today ( Monday ) received a letter for self booking of an appointment.

I didn't know that service this existed.

So I have been able to choose a date and time at my convenience. With no hassle.

Having spoken to very close ( male ) friends it seems that everyone was surprised that I have had to seek referral for myself.

I know that a good friend who had RP was not spoken to about ED until 20 months after surgery. He is being treated under a different nhs trust.

And his wife is a doctor .

It seems that referral is very much hit and miss.

Has anyone else had this situation.?