Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood and blood clots in urine

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 19:07

Following on from Kevin/Irun's thread,

I will post this experience of mine in the hope that if anyone goes through what I did recently, they may be reassured that all may not be as sinister as I had feared?

So, the title sums it up, went out on Friday evening and started to feel a bit queasy.  Looking back, I had not been feeling alright the previous evening, but put that down to general fatigue.  I was wrong.

Go for a wee on Friday night and suddenly I am peeing dark red urine, with blood clots, the first lot were dried and dark red, and as the stream went on the urine and the clots got pinker and looser.  Like little maggots, only a bit smaller, not a lot smaller though which was very worrying.  So, not panicking, yet, maybe it's a one off?  And the stinging sensation at the top of the penis was burning.  20 minutes later, go for another wee, as I needed to, and that in itself is unusual.  My bladder control following my Robot Op has virtually recovered to normal.  So to need to go again within 20 minutes is abnormal.  Same result, peeing very dark urine to start with, which then went brown like dirty river water, and then went to pink with blood colts at each stage and changing colour. And that stinging, which when you are waiting for it, is worse.  Worse than child birth ladies, believe me.

A few minutes later, I have to go again. Same pain, same colour changes, and clots.  Now I am scared.  Imagining that somehow the after effects of my RRP have come back, the wound is opening, scar or internal scabs are detaching, the bladder is leaving the urethra?  My urinary control is about to go.

Call 111, cut a long story short, they were useless, I have been peeing blood several times this evening, and get told by the call centre telephonist, who is reading from a script, to drink water, take painkillers and within 6 hours someone may call me.  

So I call my local A & E who were wonderful.  Come in and we will help you.  Attend A & E, by now I am thinking "don't automatically assume it is Cancer related", it could be a UTI.  Similar symptoms but not had that varied coloured blood last time when I had my catheter removed. 

Summing up, I was diagnosed with a UTI and given ABs by IV, which allowed me to wee later that morning without pain.

So, any blood in poo, or wee, don't wait a month, get yourself off to your GP or, if out of hours, go to A & E.

IF it is sinister the sooner it is found and dealt with the better.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 21:10

I fully agree Dave !!!
Worse than childbirth ?? Well we all know that man-flu is far more serious a condition than normal flu. So glad it all turned out well for you ( well essentially) .
I remember 3 months post op after no problems having terrible bleeding. Very very unnerving indeed. Do you know what caused infection ??
Take care CB
Chris

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 21:45

Hi Chris,

The GP told me that as my immune system had been compromised by a chest infection the previous week, the ABs for that only finished 6 days before this event even flared up, I was vulnerable to the bacteria that we all carry on our body, and as it tracked up my urethra, instead of fighting it off, my body gave in, and wallop UTI. I think I had a womans body then, briefly. ;-)

You take care Bro. I am on the Sarf coast next, this weekend, fancy a pint or several? I will be near Portsmouth.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 22:49

As I started to read you descriptive post I was thinking "Aha, maybe a UTI" and low and behold you confirmed it

Glad that's sorted. As a mere woman I have had my share of UTIs and they ain't funny, but ahem,

"Worse than child birth ladies, believe me."
I can assure you that childbirth does not resemble "Stinging" even at its worst. I can confirm that having experienced it twice.

At 1.21 this morning my niece gave birth to her first child after 46 hours + of intense labour and I'm sure she would have swapped it for a UTI.

I know you were tongue in cheek when you wrote that (you were weren't you ?????) and I know you must have been concerned and frightened and your post will certainly reassure those men suffering as a result of their treatment.

I hope you feel better now.
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails