Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hello from us

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 21:33

Hi!

My husband was diagnosed aged 47, in 2014.

He has locally advanced T3c cancer- see our profile.

I'm 36 and we have a 6 year old daughter.

Pete still works, although only part time at the moment, mainly through extreme fatigue (we think caused by HT)

It's very surreal going through this with such a young child, at a time when we thought life would be carefree. Our finances have suffered, and our initmacy, but our love is string and we are just being thankful for everyday we have.

Would love to chat to other young couples going through this journey.

Thanks!

'Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, but faith looks up'
User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 21:30
Hello. We are not necessarily a young couple but my other half is 15 years older than me. He was diagnosed 2014 aged 57. We have 3 children the youngest was aged 5 at his diagnosis. The other 2 were 10 and 12. My other half had brachytherapy last January with quite bad side effects. He is a farmer so worked all the way through treatment.

Feel free to message me if you want a chat, though I am no expert on prostate cancer.

All the best.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 23:23
Hi Ali

I don't necessarily feel very young now although we were probably what you consider a young couple on diagnosis. I was 45 when my hubby was diagnosed at age 53. My youngest daughter was 12, and older two were 15 and 17.

Our medical situation (see profile) was more advanced than yours though I expect very similar roller coaster feelings.

I think the hardest thing about having young children is our mothers instinct to nurture and protect them. I worried most about my youngest as it was hard to hide our emotions from her. We've always been very honest with about her dads medical state and answered her questions.

I hope this helped you, I think just knowing there are others in similar circumstances as yourself is somehow comforting.

Take care

Lesley x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 21:30
Hello. We are not necessarily a young couple but my other half is 15 years older than me. He was diagnosed 2014 aged 57. We have 3 children the youngest was aged 5 at his diagnosis. The other 2 were 10 and 12. My other half had brachytherapy last January with quite bad side effects. He is a farmer so worked all the way through treatment.

Feel free to message me if you want a chat, though I am no expert on prostate cancer.

All the best.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 23:23
Hi Ali

I don't necessarily feel very young now although we were probably what you consider a young couple on diagnosis. I was 45 when my hubby was diagnosed at age 53. My youngest daughter was 12, and older two were 15 and 17.

Our medical situation (see profile) was more advanced than yours though I expect very similar roller coaster feelings.

I think the hardest thing about having young children is our mothers instinct to nurture and protect them. I worried most about my youngest as it was hard to hide our emotions from her. We've always been very honest with about her dads medical state and answered her questions.

I hope this helped you, I think just knowing there are others in similar circumstances as yourself is somehow comforting.

Take care

Lesley x

User
Posted 06 Feb 2016 at 19:46
Hi Peter and Ali

We have spoken before. I was 38 when my hubbie was diagnosed, with a baby on the way.

He was 62.

We have another child who was 3 at the time.

So as a mummy of young children I do understand what you are going through.

I wish I could give you some support in saying that life will go back to as it was before, but I don't think it ever does, things are changed forever.

I just focus on being thankful that we are having treatment, and have taken it as a kick up the backside to get on with our lives. For us it was giving up work and moving to a small island, basically getting out of the rat race. everyone's aspirations are different and I hope that you will be able to follow yours.

Happy to chat anytime.

Alison

User
Posted 15 Apr 2016 at 22:12

Im looking at the different treatments for Pca and noticed you had some problems after brachytherapy.

I hope you are feeling better now but was curious how it affected you.

many thanks

gary