I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MRI Report

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 19:07

My Total and Free  PSA level on 14.12.2015 was 10.47 and 1.73 respectively.  

Prior to that my USG report (prepared in November’2015) revealed  the size of Prostrate as 73cc. On going through the report, The doctor advised me to go for TRUS guided Prostrate biopsy.Although through DRE exam he had found benign feelings. However, the   report of the Biopsy done on 09.01.2016, reveals negative results but immediately after the test,   I suffered UTI infection with blockage of urine completely. Accordingly, I had to be admitted in hospital during the period from 12.01.2016 to 18.01.2016.During my stay at hospital I was treated with i.v. antibiotic (piperacillin and tazobactum) and has been discharged on 19.01.2016 with Catheter in situ with advice to go for MRI –Prostate. Accordingly, On 30.01.2016 I have been undergone with MRI and the report is as under

i)              Prostatomegaly with benign prostatic hyperplasia

ii)              Ill-defined T2W hypointense mildly enhancing areas in peripheral zone of prostate right side towards base-PIRADS 3/5.  

In perspective of the above, I shall be highly obliged if you kindly favor me with the following clarification:-

Since peripheral zone of the prostrate is closest to the rectum, It can easily be felt by DRE exam. Moreover,   TRUS guided Biopsy in that zone Can also be performed accurately.  It is not clear to me how could PI RADS Of MRI in that zone  be 3/5 when both DRE and BIOPSY report reveals negative results.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 22:54

Hello sKcKKC1

Welcome to the forum though sorry for the reason you join us.

You will appreciate that we are not clinicians and I feel that your consultant is best able to answer detailed questions relating to your tests and diagnosis. More generally, it is possible for Prostate Cancer to be missed, particularly in a TRUS biopsy, more so than in a Transperinial template biopsy where in the latter case more cores are taken. We have had members who have had 2 negative TRUS biopsies before cancer was found on the third occasion. The situation is made more challenging in your case due to your enlarged Prostate (BPH) Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. MRI scans sometimes provide information that has been missed with biopsy and DRE but even what these scans reveal is not always definitive. I have had scans done by one of the leading hospitals in the UK but part of their interpretation on my high quality MRI scan differs from those of other leading hospitals from whom I have sought opinions on these same scans.

Barry