I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Memories

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 21:42
It has been a funny old day I was looking through some old posts and came across TG our dear Top Guns finale few posts and the thought sometimes you have to go back before you can forward struck me, he was such an inspiration to so many. I miss him dreadfully ( I never met him) but he was a character that you didn't have to meet to be affected by , his memory will live on .

I have just been watching Eastenders I know this is a pretty naff programme and many will have switched channels or simply have avoided it but I watch because my Nan lived in Fasset Square , her house a house that I visited many times was the one on the corner that looks out over the square( I know it has been rejigged and there is no pub there ) . Fasset Square is the setting for Eastenders I remember looking out of her bedroom window looking down on the square, just up the road was a children's hospital ( this is not in the programme) and a distant nephew of mine died at the age of 3 . So I watch mainly because of the connections and memories.

I do feel that memories shape our own future , so what memories stay with you guys , what do you all pass on to your children or grand children, or is there something special that you remember from your past.

BFN

JulieX

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 12:11

I see memory not only as a backward looking event or occurrence but also a forward looking activity. So I have been engaged in the latter for the past four years trying to create memories with my children, family and my friends. We now have events which mark the year - next week we will go to an obscure restaurant near Scunthorpe because this is the place I came with my daughter the day after diagnosis. We chatted, cried, planned made sense of it all. Next week we will return there with my son as well and the three of us will be enjoying our fifth meal. It marks time and enjoyed by us all. I have a number of things I do with people which are about marking out this time, making the most of it. I do activities which will only become opened after I die such as emails to my children. I do live through my memories but for me these forward looking activities give a purpose and sense of direction to life as it moves towards it's inevitable conclusion.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 13:18

I just remember endless unhappiness , shouting , fighting , like a mini Beirut! I literally couldn't wait to get out of the house at 18 and move as far away as possible ( 250 miles to be exact ) , and travel the world in the Navy and forge my own life.
I'm desperately trying to make Peters life happy and full and anxiety free, so that he can be a far happier man than me in the future with the knowledge that he is loved and treasured.

User
Posted 08 Feb 2016 at 06:02

sat her thinking of my mam
she had the hard task of raising 3 kids after my dad passed away I was only 8 years old, I can remember times asking for an ice cream only to be told sorry I have no money mam would even show us her purse which was empty, we never moaned about it, or showed our disappointment
mam used to have two jobs to give us the best she could, I realised years later when we use to tuck into a meal and ask mam where is yours, her answer was I ate earlier, to know now that no she had not eaten but made sure we did
I miss my mam even now but the memories and strength she installed will never leave me

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 21:42
It has been a funny old day I was looking through some old posts and came across TG our dear Top Guns finale few posts and the thought sometimes you have to go back before you can forward struck me, he was such an inspiration to so many. I miss him dreadfully ( I never met him) but he was a character that you didn't have to meet to be affected by , his memory will live on .

I have just been watching Eastenders I know this is a pretty naff programme and many will have switched channels or simply have avoided it but I watch because my Nan lived in Fasset Square , her house a house that I visited many times was the one on the corner that looks out over the square( I know it has been rejigged and there is no pub there ) . Fasset Square is the setting for Eastenders I remember looking out of her bedroom window looking down on the square, just up the road was a children's hospital ( this is not in the programme) and a distant nephew of mine died at the age of 3 . So I watch mainly because of the connections and memories.

I do feel that memories shape our own future , so what memories stay with you guys , what do you all pass on to your children or grand children, or is there something special that you remember from your past.

BFN

JulieX

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 13:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I just remember endless unhappiness , shouting , fighting , like a mini Beirut! I literally couldn't wait to get out of the house at 18 and move as far away as possible ( 250 miles to be exact ) , and travel the world in the Navy and forge my own life.
I'm desperately trying to make Peters life happy and full and anxiety free, so that he can be a far happier man than me in the future with the knowledge that he is loved and treasured.

Inspiring post Chris,  

you are breaking that cycle of domestic unhappiness, not creating another victim of it.  Be proud of that objective.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 16:54
Nice thread Julie (SS) of course Topgun is just a legend, he was a truly amazing man, my friendship with his wife is a precious one, I learn more and more about just what an incredible Man he was from her.

My own home sounded much the same as Chris's the combination of that and me being a "difficult teenager" I left at 16 as soon as I could. It didn't kill me and I am pleased to say that I did reconcile with both my parents to some degree allbeit much later in life.

My grandparents on my Mum's side provided a sanctuary for all 5 of us siblings at various times in our childhoods, never all together because by the time I was going there the elder two were at college or boarding school.

My brother was my hero and probably still is to be honest, he used to take me everywhere with him. At my Nan's that would be on marathon bike rides or walks across the countryside seeing how many different types of birds he could identify (This year will be my 3rd trip out to do much the same in France with him and my fabulous SIL) At home it would be train rides from Didcot up to Crewe or Birmingham where we spent the whole day writing down engine numbers of every train we saw and there were LOTS, of blagging cups of tea from the Station master, the one at Crewe used to give us chocolate biscuits too. Hard to think my brother was only 13 0r 14 then and I was just 5.

When we moved to the Liverpool area he was 17 and could drive, I was only 8 or 9 but almost every other Saturday he would take me to watch Liverpool play football. We used to park his old mini in a little street of back to backs just up the road from Anfield. He had to give the local kids 2 bob to watch the car. This basically was to ensure it still had 4 wheels when we got back but that was the way it was.

I was too young to go on the Kop so he used to stay with me in the boys pen. I could probably still name the team from that 2 year era before he went off to University.

Chris you also have my admiration and respect, ensuring a safe and happy environment for your son and family when your own childhood was so trauamatic is the most loving thing you can do.

I hope every single one of us have memories we can look back at with joy and that we can take every moment of pleasure buidling the memories for the future.

xxxx

Mo

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 09:44

Hi Julie, it is good to read your post about memories (and a good distraction from PCa) I think as we all get older we rely on memories to keep us sane. I

When I was young I used to think that all the "old folk" spent all their time thinking and talking about "the good old days" and now I am one of them it warms my heart more than I thought. I appreciate things more now and understand where they were coming from as I look back at things I did in my childhood that kids cannot do now. We used to build camps in the woods next to an allotments then go scrumping for anything that could be eaten even Spanish onions and parsnips raw taste good when illicitly gained.

We had candles in or dens and used to meet up with friends and spend whole days there reading comics, playing games and avoiding being seen by the landowners or other "enemy" that had a camp nearby. Sometimes we would find our camp destroyed by them so we would plan a revenge attack to gat em back.

Wow what memories! Now that I have put it down on here it is more real and I am sitting here reminiscing with very fresh thoughts of those times (early 60's)

Thanks Julie for firing up my imagination once more!

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 11:05
Don't know if anyone remembers this song from Richard Digance...

And I Remember...

I Remember all my adolescant days,

And thats going back a few years now,

There was Quatermass and Journey into Space,

Their voices still ring loud and clear somehow,

The Eagle, Blackjacks, everlasting strips,

Things I read like Biggles,

And Newspaper round my chips,

National Health Orange Juice,

Birthday ten-bob notes,

Idiot mittens with the strings around our throats

I remember bags of coloured rubber bands,

Streets that never had no yellow lines,

There was Snake belts, mine was red and blue,

Shops with metal ovaltinie signs,

Fags around the bike-sheds, when my brother was a Ted,

Transistor radios we smuggled into bed,

Cold winter mornings, when the school milk froze,

Third pint bottles, yes I still remember those,

But I can't remember what I said to you,

That apparantly broke your heart in two,

And I can't remember quite honestly,

The last time you told me you loved me...,

Saturday morning picture shows,

How we whistled when the film broke down,

Frozen jubblies, flying saucers, liquorice wood,

And lead soldiers in a box for half a crown,

Having friends to tea, but never in the week,

Trying to ask a girl out, but forgetting how to speak,

Roy of the Rovers, in his red and yellow shirt,

Building roads for dinky toys, in the garden dirt,

No I can't remember quite honestly,

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 15:05

My OH had a dominating father and mother, who ran him down constantly, this has resulted in a life time of being cautious and under confident. Having said that, he has been successful and followed his dream to become a professional musician and ' live the dream' He still talks about not being good enough, or could do better. It can take a lifetime to come to terms with what parents can do to their kids, some never do.Breaking the cycle and providing a loving, safe and caring place where kids can flourish, make mistakes and gain confidence... Well done Chris ... Breaking the cycle can be hard too.;-) 

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 19:03

Memories
Rlass n me have alot last few days with sorting the stuff out from in the loft
Found paper work from when we last sold an house also from when i started work for GPO telecommunications, old school reports, kids drawings it seems endless
Soon be time to make new memories in our new bungalow
Wouldnt want to make these with anybody else

run long and prosper

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 20:51

Remember walking to school so could have a tanner to spend on sweets in shop would have been about 10
23rd July 1976_leaving school couldn't wait to get a job
Holidays with mum and dad.One year Cleethorpes next year mablethorpe

Birth of my kids

Picking my first pup a little Jack Russell
After he had died picking my Labrador pup best Xmas present ever-which my wife had saved a couple pound a week for months so I could have him
Breaking my heart over both of them when no longer with me.Tears in my eyes now thinking about them
Never again that lasted 2 years and now we have 2 terrier crosses
Marrying my wife 27_years ago best decision I ever made.Many memories made with her and hopefully many more to come

The main regret in life is working far too many hours.But it something we all did I think

Edited by member 07 Feb 2016 at 20:51  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 09:44

Hi Julie, it is good to read your post about memories (and a good distraction from PCa) I think as we all get older we rely on memories to keep us sane. I

When I was young I used to think that all the "old folk" spent all their time thinking and talking about "the good old days" and now I am one of them it warms my heart more than I thought. I appreciate things more now and understand where they were coming from as I look back at things I did in my childhood that kids cannot do now. We used to build camps in the woods next to an allotments then go scrumping for anything that could be eaten even Spanish onions and parsnips raw taste good when illicitly gained.

We had candles in or dens and used to meet up with friends and spend whole days there reading comics, playing games and avoiding being seen by the landowners or other "enemy" that had a camp nearby. Sometimes we would find our camp destroyed by them so we would plan a revenge attack to gat em back.

Wow what memories! Now that I have put it down on here it is more real and I am sitting here reminiscing with very fresh thoughts of those times (early 60's)

Thanks Julie for firing up my imagination once more!

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 11:05
Don't know if anyone remembers this song from Richard Digance...

And I Remember...

I Remember all my adolescant days,

And thats going back a few years now,

There was Quatermass and Journey into Space,

Their voices still ring loud and clear somehow,

The Eagle, Blackjacks, everlasting strips,

Things I read like Biggles,

And Newspaper round my chips,

National Health Orange Juice,

Birthday ten-bob notes,

Idiot mittens with the strings around our throats

I remember bags of coloured rubber bands,

Streets that never had no yellow lines,

There was Snake belts, mine was red and blue,

Shops with metal ovaltinie signs,

Fags around the bike-sheds, when my brother was a Ted,

Transistor radios we smuggled into bed,

Cold winter mornings, when the school milk froze,

Third pint bottles, yes I still remember those,

Saturday morning picture shows,

How we whistled when the film broke down,

Frozen jubblies, flying saucers, liquorice wood,

And lead soldiers in a box for half a crown,

Having friends to tea, but never in the week,

Trying to ask a girl out, but forgetting how to speak,

Roy of the Rovers, in his red and yellow shirt,

Building roads for dinky toys, in the garden dirt,

No I can't remember quite honestly,

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 12:11

I see memory not only as a backward looking event or occurrence but also a forward looking activity. So I have been engaged in the latter for the past four years trying to create memories with my children, family and my friends. We now have events which mark the year - next week we will go to an obscure restaurant near Scunthorpe because this is the place I came with my daughter the day after diagnosis. We chatted, cried, planned made sense of it all. Next week we will return there with my son as well and the three of us will be enjoying our fifth meal. It marks time and enjoyed by us all. I have a number of things I do with people which are about marking out this time, making the most of it. I do activities which will only become opened after I die such as emails to my children. I do live through my memories but for me these forward looking activities give a purpose and sense of direction to life as it moves towards it's inevitable conclusion.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 13:18

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 13:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Inspiring post Chris,  

you are breaking that cycle of domestic unhappiness, not creating another victim of it.  Be proud of that objective.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 15:05

My OH had a dominating father and mother, who ran him down constantly, this has resulted in a life time of being cautious and under confident. Having said that, he has been successful and followed his dream to become a professional musician and ' live the dream' He still talks about not being good enough, or could do better. It can take a lifetime to come to terms with what parents can do to their kids, some never do.Breaking the cycle and providing a loving, safe and caring place where kids can flourish, make mistakes and gain confidence... Well done Chris ... Breaking the cycle can be hard too.;-) 

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 16:54
Nice thread Julie (SS) of course Topgun is just a legend, he was a truly amazing man, my friendship with his wife is a precious one, I learn more and more about just what an incredible Man he was from her.

My own home sounded much the same as Chris's the combination of that and me being a "difficult teenager" I left at 16 as soon as I could. It didn't kill me and I am pleased to say that I did reconcile with both my parents to some degree allbeit much later in life.

My grandparents on my Mum's side provided a sanctuary for all 5 of us siblings at various times in our childhoods, never all together because by the time I was going there the elder two were at college or boarding school.

My brother was my hero and probably still is to be honest, he used to take me everywhere with him. At my Nan's that would be on marathon bike rides or walks across the countryside seeing how many different types of birds he could identify (This year will be my 3rd trip out to do much the same in France with him and my fabulous SIL) At home it would be train rides from Didcot up to Crewe or Birmingham where we spent the whole day writing down engine numbers of every train we saw and there were LOTS, of blagging cups of tea from the Station master, the one at Crewe used to give us chocolate biscuits too. Hard to think my brother was only 13 0r 14 then and I was just 5.

When we moved to the Liverpool area he was 17 and could drive, I was only 8 or 9 but almost every other Saturday he would take me to watch Liverpool play football. We used to park his old mini in a little street of back to backs just up the road from Anfield. He had to give the local kids 2 bob to watch the car. This basically was to ensure it still had 4 wheels when we got back but that was the way it was.

I was too young to go on the Kop so he used to stay with me in the boys pen. I could probably still name the team from that 2 year era before he went off to University.

Chris you also have my admiration and respect, ensuring a safe and happy environment for your son and family when your own childhood was so trauamatic is the most loving thing you can do.

I hope every single one of us have memories we can look back at with joy and that we can take every moment of pleasure buidling the memories for the future.

xxxx

Mo

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 18:45
Memories are the love you leave behind. They are the pictures that form in the mind's eye when you are no longer in view. They are the whisper on the breeze when your voice is no more. They are simply priceless but cost nothing.

Edited by member 07 Feb 2016 at 19:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 19:03

Memories
Rlass n me have alot last few days with sorting the stuff out from in the loft
Found paper work from when we last sold an house also from when i started work for GPO telecommunications, old school reports, kids drawings it seems endless
Soon be time to make new memories in our new bungalow
Wouldnt want to make these with anybody else

run long and prosper

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 20:51

Remember walking to school so could have a tanner to spend on sweets in shop would have been about 10
23rd July 1976_leaving school couldn't wait to get a job
Holidays with mum and dad.One year Cleethorpes next year mablethorpe

Birth of my kids

Picking my first pup a little Jack Russell
After he had died picking my Labrador pup best Xmas present ever-which my wife had saved a couple pound a week for months so I could have him
Breaking my heart over both of them when no longer with me.Tears in my eyes now thinking about them
Never again that lasted 2 years and now we have 2 terrier crosses
Marrying my wife 27_years ago best decision I ever made.Many memories made with her and hopefully many more to come

The main regret in life is working far too many hours.But it something we all did I think

Edited by member 07 Feb 2016 at 20:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Feb 2016 at 06:02

sat her thinking of my mam
she had the hard task of raising 3 kids after my dad passed away I was only 8 years old, I can remember times asking for an ice cream only to be told sorry I have no money mam would even show us her purse which was empty, we never moaned about it, or showed our disappointment
mam used to have two jobs to give us the best she could, I realised years later when we use to tuck into a meal and ask mam where is yours, her answer was I ate earlier, to know now that no she had not eaten but made sure we did
I miss my mam even now but the memories and strength she installed will never leave me

regards
nidge

run long and prosper