I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Helping Parents cope living with Prostate Cancer

User
Posted 25 Feb 2016 at 12:52
Does anyone have any advice on helping my parents who are living with Prostate Cancer. Having overcome the initial shock of the diagnosis last year, they are really struggling with the emotional and physical effect on my Dad.
User
Posted 25 Feb 2016 at 13:16

Hello JJRichmond and welcome to the site.

A diagnosis of cancer can be devastating at any age but once we reach our "golden years" we have our futures all mapped out in our heads, retirement plans made etc. and all of a sudden the rug is pulled away and all those plans are down the loo.

You don't say how old your parents are (they may not have reached their golden year yet of course) but cancer destroys plans for everyone.

What sort of treatment plan is in place for your dad. If you can give details of his PSA, Gleason score and grading if you have them then it will help when anyone wants to offer advice. They may well be going through the same trauma as your dad and know exactly what to say in terms of side effects and what they did to counter them. You say they are finding it hard to cope with the physical effect on your dad so he must be having treatment?

On an emotional level it is much harder, especially as you are doing this for them. Are they open with you about the progress of the disease? Can you talk candidly to them?

There is information on this site called The Toolkit and it contains leaflet on the emotional aspect of PCA. It also has lots of info on the different treatments, side effects etc. Contact one of the nurses and ask for your copy and they will send it to you. You can also call them during their working hours on 0800 074 8383!

I'm sure there will be others along to help and if you can provide some more information they may be able to make the help more personal to you.

All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Feb 2016 at 13:31
Hi JJ

the word cancer is like a dagger in your heart we all deal with being told differently

We had plans to move into a bungalow once I reached retirement age but we have brought this forward

Its affect changes not only our lives

but the ones closest to us

Your dad is I assume in HT this will alter his emotions and for some can be hard to deal with as you can just burst into tears at anytime

It also affects your love life as the HT gets rid of testostrone and can also fatigue

I try to keep myself active to help combat the fatigue

Re the other two issues depending on how your dads cancer is by that I mean is it treatable we have to live with it

Thats why in Johsan's post asking re age grade and gleason score

Regards

Nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'