I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post MRI

User
Posted 22 Mar 2016 at 07:51

Excuse me for giving an update but here goes....

PSA levels in the last month & a half...3.6, 3.5, 5.1, 4.1...

Had Ultrasound then MRI last week.

Went back to see consultant last night, he was still awaiting results as I was there. Eventually they came through...

My prostate is confirmed at very large at 62 (something) ? you guys might know what the means....

The test begginning with P (?) again can remember what its called ?? but the scores were all 3, 2 & 1 - I'd read before that 4 & 5 were the danger ones.

There are some small but 'insignificant' areas picked up.....

Consultant asked me if I was 'A glass half full or half empty' person, which I found quite amusing as I'm in recovery from alcoholism (12 years thankfully) and I replied I was pretty calm about all of this, apart from thew obvious fear.

He asked again about it in my family and my father did have this at 63, had an operation and is still a very fit 83 year old.

Suggested we do another PSA in 3 & 6 months and if the trend is upwards we then look at biopsy.

I guess this means I may have PC BUT it appears, if anything, it's not aggressive & would be localised, is this an accurate assumption?

Still unclear why I'm having ED, could that be down to the enlarged prostate?

Would love some feedback, thanks everyone.

Edited by member 22 Mar 2016 at 09:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Mar 2016 at 08:42

Hello MarkB
Prostate large at 62? My husband's was 58 and small enough for seed brachytherapy and ? I'm sure I've seen somebody else's in the 80s?

I'm a little puzzled because you say you are in "recovery" but then add you guess it means it's possible you may have PC.

Does that mean you are in recovery from another cancer or have you have PC before?

Not being nosey, it's just I think it may help if others are advising you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Mar 2016 at 09:30

apologies Johsan..I've added 'from alcoholism'..... I've not had cancer of any sorts before.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2016 at 12:23

Please don't apologise Mark,

I was just puzzled that's all. Didn't mean to put you on the spot like I have.

Hopefully somebody with the experience you need ill be able to answer you.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Mar 2016 at 00:03

Mark B,
Your update is interesting because I was reading an academic report today about predictive MRI

I can't think what the P word is that you have forgotten but the 5 scale that you mention is probably this one:
1 - definitely no tumour
2 - probably no tumour
3 - indeterminate
4 - probably tumour
5 - definitely tumour

So the radiologist looks at a series of images of the gland and allocates a score to each segment or image - if that is what you have been given as your 'results' then it would appear the radiologist saw areas of 'no tumour', 'probably no tumour' and 'not one way or the other'.

On that basis, your consultant's suggestion to have a PSA test again in 3 and 6 months seems very sensible.

Don't confuse this 5 point scale with the Gleason scores that men get after a biopsy. I suspect it is Gleason 4 and 5 (or G4 / G5) that you have been reading about.

Edited by member 23 Mar 2016 at 00:35  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Mar 2016 at 00:54

Re size of prostate - they do get bigger with age, this is normal. A 50 year old will have a prostate of about 30cc and a man of 80 might have one of 40 - 50cc. Anything more than 60cc is considered to be 'enlarged'.

There is a strong link between enlarged prostate (BPH) and ED although the medics don't really know why. It could be physical but is just as likely to be due to the side effects of BPH - disturbed sleep, urinary problems, or distorted messages to the nervous system. Treatments for BPH can cause ED but conversely, treatment for ED can sometimes improve the side effects of BPH!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 16:30

As stated, prostate size is usually around 30, so yours at 60 is enlarged and an enlarged prostate will usually produce a higher PSA reading, I can't remember where I found this but it gives a rough guide of PSA per 10cc of prostate

PSA levels
1 point per 10cc normal
1.5 points per 10cc abnormal

So with a 30cc prostate, a PSA above 4.5  would be abnormal, but in your case with a prostate of 62cc a PSA of 4 -5 seems to be well with the normal range, so together with the positive MRI scan I would not be too worried, in fact I would be very happy with those figures.  My prostate is 58cc with a PSA of 15.1, my MRI scan was also rated at 2, but because of the continued elevated PSA I have just had a template biopsy.  I think the repeat PSA test in 6 months is the best option, with your MRI scan, those PSA readings and that size of prostate I can't see any reason to rush into a biopsy

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 22:00

Never seen it mentioned here because ED is usually associated here with various PCa treatments. However, a substantial number of men (percentages vary with age and studies), begin to have fewer and less strong erections as they approach middle age and some become impotent even though they may not have been treated for PCa or been diagnosed with it, so not necessarily an indication that a man may have prostate cancer or prostate problems. ED can sometimes be due to a state of mind.

Barry