I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Non Dairy Cheese

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 16:27

I'm struggling to find a decent non dairy cheese (if that's possible).

Like many who go non dairy I only went half way i.e. changed to soya milk and soya spread but the search for a decent cheese defeated me and I carried on having the very occasional piece of cheddar.

Has anyone found a non dairy cheese that actually tastes like cheese (cheddar taste preferable)?  

p.s. for coffee drinkers who find it hard to get on with soya milk, I've just discovered a little trick that improves the taste and appearance of coffee which has soya milk added.  

I pour boiling water onto the coffee (usually two thirds of a mug) then add the soya milk, after which I put the mug in the microwave on full power for one minute.  This application of additional heat after the soya milk has been added does something which allows the soya milk to blend more effectively with the coffee and whatever it does it vastly improves my coffee drinking experience.

I've only tried it with a quality instant blend, so don't know how it will work with the real thing.

Roger
User
Posted 08 Apr 2016 at 07:17

Surely things in moderation is the key. If i fancy a bacon sarnie i will have one. Its about QOL. I know the issues about diet is a personal one and i have reduced my dairy intake to some degree. But i have seen three urogists and four oncologists and not ine if them as advised me to stop eating or drinking dairy completely or stop eating red meat etc.
I did query this and the advice was,as always, a balanced diet and things in moderation...oh and eat lots of tomatoes

Bri

User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 10:50

Roger

I've always disliked cheese Hence my intake was low which is why I don't link it with PCa but who knows.

Good choice on you finding other foods to Enjoy.

Radar

There is no way of knowing if I would have do as well on the planned 36 months as the extended 47 months of Zoladex. However if PCa had comeback I would have regretted not following the medics request to have some more HT.

You have completed three quarters of your planned journey so is it worth you carrying on for the last lap to hopefully get the winners crown.

Good luck

Rayoice on you finding other foods. Enjoy.

Radar

There is no way of knowing if I would have do as well on the planned 36 months as the extended 47 months of Zoladex. However if PCa had comeback I would have regretted not following the medics request to have some more HT.

You have completed three quarters of your planned journey so is it worth you carrying on for the last lap to hopefully get the winners crown.

Good luck

Ray

Edited by member 13 Apr 2016 at 13:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 16:27

I'm struggling to find a decent non dairy cheese (if that's possible).

Like many who go non dairy I only went half way i.e. changed to soya milk and soya spread but the search for a decent cheese defeated me and I carried on having the very occasional piece of cheddar.

Has anyone found a non dairy cheese that actually tastes like cheese (cheddar taste preferable)?  

p.s. for coffee drinkers who find it hard to get on with soya milk, I've just discovered a little trick that improves the taste and appearance of coffee which has soya milk added.  

I pour boiling water onto the coffee (usually two thirds of a mug) then add the soya milk, after which I put the mug in the microwave on full power for one minute.  This application of additional heat after the soya milk has been added does something which allows the soya milk to blend more effectively with the coffee and whatever it does it vastly improves my coffee drinking experience.

I've only tried it with a quality instant blend, so don't know how it will work with the real thing.

Roger
User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 22:25

My sister-in-law has Alpro in tea and coffee. She isn't on any kind of dairy free diet or anything - she just prefers soya in hot drinks. I married into a VERY strange family.

Like Healey, my first thought was if you are going to fill your body with radiation Rog, you may as well just have the milk!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 09:43

Thanks Pierre. I've tried the Tesco Free From cheeses and all I would say is "horrible".

I've read some reviews of Sheese which look promising, so I'll give it a try.

There's nothing wrong with being a "lurker" on the forum sorry, long time watcher but if you hadn't responded to my post I may never have considered Sheese as a possibility, so please post whenever you feel you have something relevant to share with us.

I'll report back on my Sheese experience.

Roger
User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 23:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

There's nothing wrong with being a "lurker" on the forum sorry, long time watcher but if you hadn't responded to my post I may never have considered Sheese as a possibility, so please post whenever you feel you have something relevant to share with us.

Hello Rogcal,

thanks for the reply.

I hope that you will find that Sheese is at least "acceptable". Only "cheese is cheese" so for those of us who love the proper stuff but have chosen to avoid it, we have to find  a compromise.

I have plenty to say. I have been well known outside the context of prostate related illnesses for online forums, and was very involved in a well known UK consumer forum. 

However, despite that, I don't understand the dynamics of this forum. So rather than be dismissed as a crank I choose to contribute selectively :)

I wish you well!

User
Posted 11 Apr 2016 at 01:21

Hi Roger,

Coincidentally, since you mentioned it in your first post, I received on Saturday a newsletter from my former employer which included an article on the potential danger of microwaving liquid on it's own. I am sure you take care but here is a sorry tale of somebody who didn't and the consequences which I hope nobody else will experience. This is the gist of the article.

A 26 year old man decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up, (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for but he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he carefully removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the water was not boiling but suddenly the water in the cup 'blew up' in his face. The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand but the water had flown in his face due to the build-up of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns. He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye. Whilst at hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc (nothing metal).

MICROWAVE MANUFACTURER'S RESPONSE

Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble initially when they reach boiling point. They can get superheated and the superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it. To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving it or adding anything into it.

There followed a technical explanation which I will skip.

Must admit I have heated liquid in a microwave a number of times but in future will take great care when setting the timer!

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 19:05

Hi Roger
Likewise I've cut down on the dairy stuff.

Cheese I do try to go with goats milk cheese which I've really now got a taste for.

Coffee (when I drink it) I drink black.

Coconut milk for my morning cereals

Persistence on diet change really works for me and keeps me on the straight and narrow (most of the time)

Good luck with the cheese search

Paul

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 20:09

Haven't found a non dairy cheese that is reasonably acceptable so just have normal cheese less often.

Tried the microwave trick for coffee but can't taste any difference, perhaps the blend plays a part. The big difference for me is the soya milk. Supermarket own brands seems a little more 'watered down' compared to say Alpro, which tastes a little more creamy and noticeable more soya than the supermarket versions. It is now several years since I changed from milk to soya in tea and coffee and now prefer it.

Barry
User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 20:30

Microwaves also a no no. As well as eggs (or anything with growth hormones)

I miss the pork pies, bacon sandwiches meat stews and have found no alternative to them so just don't eat them. I'll be growing gills soon.

Paul

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 22:25

My sister-in-law has Alpro in tea and coffee. She isn't on any kind of dairy free diet or anything - she just prefers soya in hot drinks. I married into a VERY strange family.

Like Healey, my first thought was if you are going to fill your body with radiation Rog, you may as well just have the milk!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Apr 2016 at 07:17

Surely things in moderation is the key. If i fancy a bacon sarnie i will have one. Its about QOL. I know the issues about diet is a personal one and i have reduced my dairy intake to some degree. But i have seen three urogists and four oncologists and not ine if them as advised me to stop eating or drinking dairy completely or stop eating red meat etc.
I did query this and the advice was,as always, a balanced diet and things in moderation...oh and eat lots of tomatoes

Bri

User
Posted 08 Apr 2016 at 10:38

Thanks for your input guys and Lyn.

Like Barry I've been on soya milk for several years courtesy of my chats with the late Rob who was this forums "wiz" on diets and soon got used to it in tea and on cereals but until my recent "discovery" I avoided putting it coffee.

In the meantime the search for a palatable dairy free cheese shall have to continue.

Finally and as it is so apt I found this cartoon on the "Cancer Network" website which I thought I'd share with you:

http://www.cancernetwork.com/sites/default/files/styles/max_width/public/images/media/oncologistslife-2015-04.jpg?itok=nfMbsIys

Roger
User
Posted 08 Apr 2016 at 19:53

I gave up on non dariy , back on everything two boiled eggs [extra large ] every day Butter [Lurpak] skimmed milk,

Cheese ,Processed peas which I love ,sorry lads 

User
Posted 08 Apr 2016 at 20:08

That's OK Barry, fully understand the need for Biker's Cafe grub.;)

Roger
User
Posted 08 Apr 2016 at 20:23

Processed peas??

User
Posted 08 Apr 2016 at 20:59

Perhaps he's hung up on "cheesy peas". Oh I so miss the Fast Show!

Roger
User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 09:03

Responding to the original question

Sheese is quite good see the range at Bute Island website 

I have seen a limited range in the chiller cabinets at Holland and Barrett. Health food shops sometimes have the broader range.

I gather the same company make the Free From cheese substitutes from Tesco, but they don't seem as good. Tesco also sell the Violife range, again not as good but have used them in cooking.

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 09:43

Thanks Pierre. I've tried the Tesco Free From cheeses and all I would say is "horrible".

I've read some reviews of Sheese which look promising, so I'll give it a try.

Roger
User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 10:15

I have tried a few cheese alternatives. These have of course been stored carefully in our fridge along with soya milk, and veggie sausages. We have had building work going on for what seems like ' for ever' I made himself a cheese sarnie, one of the suggestion he made was, I'd got the tiling grouts and cheese alternative mixed up in his lunchtime snack. Need I say more. Saw the onco on Thursday, PSA now 0.7, David is now all booked in for his HD Brachytherapy April 18th. Onco advised David that he should cut down on dairy and red meats, but as a cheese lover himself, he advised a small amount of his favourite cheddar was maybe a necessity so we bought a slice of Hafod local cheddar on the way home. Last evening a glass of red wine and a piece of the cheese.
I may still search for a decent cheese alternative, so if anyone finds a good one please share it. I have tried Sheese and the Tesco ones, but not impressed. Thanks Leila

User
Posted 09 Apr 2016 at 23:35

Hello Rogcal,

thanks for the reply.

I hope that you will find that Sheese is at least "acceptable". Only "cheese is cheese" so for those of us who love the proper stuff but have chosen to avoid it, we have to find  a compromise.

I have plenty to say. I have been well known outside the context of prostate related illnesses for online forums, and was very involved in a well known UK consumer forum. 

However, despite that, I don't understand the dynamics of this forum. So rather than be dismissed as a crank I choose to contribute selectively :)

I wish you well!

User
Posted 10 Apr 2016 at 19:42

Sheep's and goats' cheeses are still dairy products, just from a different mammal. I don't think there's much point in avoiding cow's milk cheese and eating the others instead; this only makes sense if you're dealing with an allergy.

I am not really convinced about the non-dairy diet, but Tony is still trying to keep it up most of the time.

We did try non-dairy cheeses but found them horrible. There really isn't much we won't eat, but that stuff went out on the bird table. Then we saw a bird attempting to eat it and Tony said, "Look at that, it's shaking its head! Even the birds won't eat it!"

Marje

User
Posted 11 Apr 2016 at 01:21

Hi Roger,

Coincidentally, since you mentioned it in your first post, I received on Saturday a newsletter from my former employer which included an article on the potential danger of microwaving liquid on it's own. I am sure you take care but here is a sorry tale of somebody who didn't and the consequences which I hope nobody else will experience. This is the gist of the article.

A 26 year old man decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up, (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for but he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he carefully removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the water was not boiling but suddenly the water in the cup 'blew up' in his face. The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand but the water had flown in his face due to the build-up of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns. He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye. Whilst at hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc (nothing metal).

MICROWAVE MANUFACTURER'S RESPONSE

Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble initially when they reach boiling point. They can get superheated and the superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it. To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving it or adding anything into it.

There followed a technical explanation which I will skip.

Must admit I have heated liquid in a microwave a number of times but in future will take great care when setting the timer!

Barry
User
Posted 11 Apr 2016 at 10:05

Thanks for that Barry and a timely reminder for anyone heating up liquids in a microwave oven.

I must admit hearing that warning some years ago and yet I still take a chance although there is always a little bell ringing at the back of head telling me to not stir the mug or bowl at arms length.

Roger
User
Posted 12 Apr 2016 at 15:46

hi,dont post a lot but do read a lot,there is a lot about diet and whether it helps,i would just like to say ,us small guys cant afford to lose weight ,like a lot of bigger guys on here,i have reduced red meat and dairy,but i need the calories to try and fight this thing,i try to eat healthy as i can,when i read about all the healthy meals other guys eat,it makes me wonder what the hell can i eat ,when you read this and that is not good for pcs,i live on my own now and i am no chef there is milk and dairy and sugar in nearly everything,i have got a large aunt bessies yorks pudding in the oven,any guys in similiar position.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2016 at 17:13
Hi,

Another small guy here. I have gained weight around the middle thanks to Zoladex and actually I'm quite proud of it ! I've never weighed as much as I do before so this is something quite novel for me. I find that I've amended my diet very little. I have high cholesterol too and varied my diet a few years back. I do avoid dairy as much as possible but do eat some cheese and have small intake of milk each week . But nowhere near as much as I used to. I need the calcium to keep the bones healthy due to HT .

I'm nearly always ready for food and you'll often find me in the kitchen searching for a snack at any old time of day. I do eat regularly at the usual mealtimes as well.

My wife though is concerned about this as she says that the weight gain isn't good for me. I avoid red meat and any processed foods as much as possible. I have large intake of fish and will eat turkey and chicken as well as lots of fruit and veg. I avoid fried foods and crisps and sugary foods though.

I eat lots of nuts and naturally ( non added sugar ) dried fruit.

If I don't eat regularly then I really know about it. I do not like being hungry at any time !! I plan my whole day around food.

I know what you mean about diets. What's in and what's out - it drives my wife mad. A little of most things in moderation I think is fine. I exercise every day as well.

I stopped alcohol 2 days before RT and drink loads of water as well as black/ green teas, coffee and use soya milk for porridge daily.

And I like Aunt Bessie's too. I had 4 small Yorks puds on Saturday with loads of roast puds etc. ( and lots of veg ) .

It was good have your post. I really related to it.

Carry on eating - Small chaps motto !

Regards

John

User
Posted 12 Apr 2016 at 18:51

Facts

1 - likewise small guy

2 - my diet is balanced thus includes red meat and dairy

3 - Still here 11 + years after diagnosis. Now 7 + years off PCa treatment.

4 - If I remove red meat from diet energy levels fall to zero and I soon feel rough. No substitute has worked.

Summary: if diet makes a survival difference then a balanced diet works for me.

Ray

User
Posted 12 Apr 2016 at 19:39

Radar, I am coming round to yours for tea - Yorkshire pud with gravy - yum.

If you wanted to make your diet a bit more prostate-friendly, you could chuck a small amount of tinned chopped tomato and a bit of chopped onion in a pan and cook, then add to the gravy / yorks combo. You can buy bags of frozen sliced onion :-)

User
Posted 12 Apr 2016 at 23:24

thanks,if i do eat some so called dodgy stuff i always add some good stuff with it like lyn says,good to know there is 1or 2 similiar to me,i find a lot of healthy food tastes crap unless you are a chef,also once a week i like to go for a drink,and it will be even better when york races start next month,i see my oncologist in june after my last visit a year ago,and i will have been on zoladex for 2yrs 4months of my 3yrs,this time they are checking my testerone and u&e.lfts  and of course psa,i am going to ask to come off zoladex before i disappear with bone and tissue loss, i will soon be moving to unknown territory cheers.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 08:44

hello,the last reply was by radar thankyou.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 09:55

I said I'd report back on my "Sheese" experience and here it is. Palatable and slightly better that the Tesco "Free From" alternative.

I'm not going to bother with any more trials of non-dairy cheese products and instead look for alternatives to cheese.

Looking through M&S food store yesterday I found little pots of taramasalata, flavoured houmous and various non meat pates which will now become my savoury cracker/toast toppings.

As a by-product of my increased effort into diet awareness I have lost almost a stone in weight over the last 6 weeks and my blood sugar level has dropped from 7.9 to 6.4 which will please my Diabetes Nurse no end.

I've asked myself the question, has my determination to improve my already healthy diet which I adopted 10 years ago when I first started on my "prostate road" anything to do with my finally getting a positive PCa diagnosis late last year? To damned right it has!

Roger
User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 10:50

Roger

I've always disliked cheese Hence my intake was low which is why I don't link it with PCa but who knows.

Good choice on you finding other foods to Enjoy.

Radar

Good luck

Rayoice on you finding other foods. Enjoy.

Radar

Good luck

Ray

Edited by member 13 Apr 2016 at 13:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 11:27
Hi all,

I am certain that my previously very high intake of dairy produce ( 2-3 glasses of milk a day - lots of cheese etc) may have assisted PCa . I also relied on ham for easy lunches whilst at work. I completed a survey for the Uni of Manchester's Onco dept about 18 months ago on PCa. It went into every detail about my daily life including diet. I was horrified by the amount of processed ham I ate. I no longer indulge ! I have cut out as much processed food as possible.

However there are some benefits from having a varied diet but it takes time to find the alternatives that I actually enjoy.

I too will continue the 36 months I shall have endured for HT until 08/17 . If it's recommended that it's continued after that then I shall accept that as well.

Keep well and enjoy eating ( whatever it is ).

John

User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 13:07

Man with PC

"...The big difference for me is the soya milk. Supermarket own brands seems a little more 'watered down' compared to say Alpro, which tastes a little more creamy and noticeable more soya than the supermarket versions...."

Have you tried making it yourself? It is very simple and it costs a fraction of what a supermarket will charge you (around £0.25 per litre).

The reason that Alpro may seem "creamy" is because they all add thickeners to the milk....the quantity of Soy tends to be the same (around 6%).

User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 14:28

thanks ray think i will carry on if onco suggests in june.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 20:53

For what it's worth, my father has had prostate cancer for 18 years and has not changed his diet, which includes red meat and dairy.