I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Swelling side effect - Swelling

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 17:42

Had radical prosratectomy and lymph gland removal a week ago. The operation was a success and I was discharged after 5 days. One of the side effects is swelling of the scrotum, which seems be the cause of a searing pain in my groin. Both are making me less mobile. does anyone have any advice. the swelling seems to go down overnight. 

John - I have a strategy, Cancer you are not in it
User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 18:44

Hi mine was well swollen and coloured it was uncomfortable but went down slowly and back to normal , hope yours does to Andy

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 20:37
Hi there

I have to say that mine was quite a scary sight and uncomfortable. After 4 weeks I saw the GP as I was concerned that I was still aching but he said this was quite normal. It did settle down shortly afterwards and I have had no further problems. I did not experience any searing pain so it might be an idea to have this checked out for your own peace of mind.

Kevan

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 22:27

Are you wearing proper support - a jockstrap or proper pants rather than boxers.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 22:45

I had about four weeks of perineal pain, but no appreciable swelling. Heavy pain killers kept it under control and walking helped. Oddly enough, standing still brought the pain on again, but lying down and sitting were fine. Considering the amount of disruption to your insides, I guess pain (and in some cases swelling) is nevitable.

Chat to GP about pain control.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 18:44

Hi mine was well swollen and coloured it was uncomfortable but went down slowly and back to normal , hope yours does to Andy

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 20:37
Hi there

I have to say that mine was quite a scary sight and uncomfortable. After 4 weeks I saw the GP as I was concerned that I was still aching but he said this was quite normal. It did settle down shortly afterwards and I have had no further problems. I did not experience any searing pain so it might be an idea to have this checked out for your own peace of mind.

Kevan

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 22:27

Are you wearing proper support - a jockstrap or proper pants rather than boxers.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 22:45

I had about four weeks of perineal pain, but no appreciable swelling. Heavy pain killers kept it under control and walking helped. Oddly enough, standing still brought the pain on again, but lying down and sitting were fine. Considering the amount of disruption to your insides, I guess pain (and in some cases swelling) is nevitable.

Chat to GP about pain control.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 23:34

John looked like he had a large purple melon hanging between his legs ....

User
Posted 08 Apr 2016 at 07:10

Presume it must be a result of open surgery as i had nothing of the kind following LRP

Bri

User
Posted 08 Apr 2016 at 14:07

I'm going to look into your idea of support. I'm wear net pants which holds the incontinence pad I need. it does give some support, but maybe I need more. I need a pad because I leak a lot around my catherter. particularly when I stand up or walk upstairs. if I don't move I don't leak. The hospital tells me this is normal.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2016 at 14:17

The hospital put me on paracetamol and codeine for the pain, but I'm trying to get off the codeine because of the effect of constipation, even with Lactulose. what pain killers were you taking.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2018 at 16:35

Don't thin it's to do wth open surgery - I have scrotal swelling after robotic keyhole surgery. My surgeon said 1 in 5-6 men do.  Other posts suggests it's due to lymph fluid after lymph nodes are removed, as mine were.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2018 at 19:28

John and BillRW

Immediately after my surgery, I had swelling and pain in my left testicle.  To cut a long story short, about a year post surgery, I was diagnosed with lymphoedema.  My testicle hurts and the swelling I have goes up and down.  I joke with my doctors that it looks like I have three testicles sometimes. They don’t plan to do anything as intervention could make matters worse.

Hopefully, things will settle down for both of you, but if it doesn’t settle, you might want to ask your doctor about the possibility of lymphoedema.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 13 Jul 2018 at 11:39
Ulsterman

Since my op in 2016 I have had problems with fluid. In 2016 a scan revealed my swollen testicle was trapped fluid, and classed as an inconvenience not worth any intervention. in 2017 I developed a hard swelling in my abdomen, accompanied by some pain. This was diagnosed as lymphoceles, a build up of fluid in one area. I was prepped for surgery to drain it but a second scan revealed the fluid had dispersed since the initial scan. My right testicle has continued to increase in size and I now have some swelling in my lower abdomen. my swollen testicle seems to be smaller in the mornings, but is still abnormally large. In the evening it is the size of a mango. I have no pain, just an occasional ache. Tomorrow I'm have an ultrasound scan on my abdomen and testes to confirm it's all fluid and there is nothing nasty growing there. Thanks for the info about Lymphoedema, I'll bear it in mind

John

User
Posted 13 Jul 2018 at 19:57
John, if it is lymphoedema and you find a better way of dealing with it, then please tell the forum: all I can suggest, having had 18 lymph nodes removed with my prostate (and bladder) six years ago is what follows. Try to spend part of every day with your legs elevated above your heart and also do plenty of walking. The former aids drainage which has been impaired by the lymph nodes removal and the latter stimulates the body's natural pumping of fluid into the kidneys and out as urine. When the swelling affects the legs, medics may offer Nora Batty stockings. Don't bother would be my advice. In your case, I can't think what support garments would be effective, but maybe someone can offer a helpful suggestion?

AC

User
Posted 13 Jul 2018 at 23:26
AC, I had 12 lymph nodes removed with my prostate. Thanks for the advice, I walk a couple of miles most days and ride my bike to my allotment, but I don't elevate my legs. I'll try it. I no longer get swelling in my legs, just mainly my right testicle. I'll know more after my scan tomorrow

John