Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Music it RIGHT up yeh !

User
Posted 30 Apr 2016 at 19:52
Hi folks

It's been an immensely unhappy week. I've found myself wallowing in unhappiness with it all and last Sunday woke up to find my best man had had a near fatal motorbike accident ( a 19k Ducati just hours old ) and have been visiting him in the ICU. He's gonna be ok but I was so upset.

So music is medicine. It's easy to sit and think and think and think and think. If you can take your mind off it , it really helps !

I decided to step back to the songs that helped get me through those very difficult years. I was born in 1967 so I'm talking about 1984 mostly , songs old and new.

Here's my list , I think my all-time most important song first :-

It's my life -- Talk Talk

She sells sanctuary -- The Cult

Lots of Fleetwood Mac -- Dreams , Landslide , Gypsy , Sara

Lots of Led Zeppelin --Achilles last Stand being my fave

Living on the Ceiling -- Blancmange

Rattlesnakes -- Lloyd Cole and the Commotions

Buzzcocks -- Promises

Undertones -- it's gonna happen

Cher -one by one

Japan -- Quiet life

Prefab Sprout -- cars and girls ( awesome song ).

Wishing --Flock of Seagulls

Kate Bush ---Phwoarr !!

And it went on till I'd forgotten most of my problems.

If you have an iPod then plug her in and relax !

My musical tastes prob a bit young for a few of you , but I'm sure you get the drift.

Have a good Bank Holiday

Chris

User
Posted 30 Apr 2016 at 19:52
Hi folks

It's been an immensely unhappy week. I've found myself wallowing in unhappiness with it all and last Sunday woke up to find my best man had had a near fatal motorbike accident ( a 19k Ducati just hours old ) and have been visiting him in the ICU. He's gonna be ok but I was so upset.

So music is medicine. It's easy to sit and think and think and think and think. If you can take your mind off it , it really helps !

I decided to step back to the songs that helped get me through those very difficult years. I was born in 1967 so I'm talking about 1984 mostly , songs old and new.

Here's my list , I think my all-time most important song first :-

It's my life -- Talk Talk

She sells sanctuary -- The Cult

Lots of Fleetwood Mac -- Dreams , Landslide , Gypsy , Sara

Lots of Led Zeppelin --Achilles last Stand being my fave

Living on the Ceiling -- Blancmange

Rattlesnakes -- Lloyd Cole and the Commotions

Buzzcocks -- Promises

Undertones -- it's gonna happen

Cher -one by one

Japan -- Quiet life

Prefab Sprout -- cars and girls ( awesome song ).

Wishing --Flock of Seagulls

Kate Bush ---Phwoarr !!

And it went on till I'd forgotten most of my problems.

If you have an iPod then plug her in and relax !

My musical tastes prob a bit young for a few of you , but I'm sure you get the drift.

Have a good Bank Holiday

Chris

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 09:41
Chris

I listen to music most nights..im a bit older than you but only 8 years lol...i was 24/25 in 1984. But think the 70's is more my genre.

Groups i was/am into were

Sex pistols...the clash...sham 69..jam...iggy pop...dexys..elo..

Listen a lot nowadays to...elbow...sterephonics...travis...greenday...

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Oh yeah love his music as well

Bri

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 10:18

Hi Chris,

I am a bit older, and have that mindset that only 45's really count, as it was only 45's that made the charts.

I am quite proud to say that the first 45 I bought was Baby Love by the Supremes.

But I have never been able to live down the fact that the last 45 I bought was Middle of the Road's Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheap Cheap!

After that I graduated to Albums.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 12:15
As the youngest of 5 kids I grew up with my elder siblings music ..rolling stones, the who, Beatles, leonard Cohen, Joan Baez, Dusty Springfield etc etc. As a teenager I went for soul any type any artist Northern Soul and dancing was my weekend life.

Dobie Gray, out on the floor was my anthem! I also had an absolute crush on Bowie.

Then I hit my early twenties and my tastes broadened considerably. Depeche Mode, the cure, the jam, Talking Heads, Fairground attraction, George Benson, Average white band, supertramp, 10cc , Bryan Adams. The list is endless.

Nowadays I listen to the radio a lot and in the gym my ipod keeps me moving. Friends and I often spend the evening taking it in turns picking one track at a time off Spotify to listen to whilst drinking good wine and munching our way through a huge platter of cheeses, fruits and crackers. ..bliss

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 21:23

A good post, Chris J.

Rather than do a 'faves' Desert Island Discs style compilation ( Just corrected an unfortunate  typo on that line..), you got me thinking about what I played again and again. That was probably more down to my limited record/tape collection when younger than anything else.

First off, Neil Sedaka albums ( goes inwardly red in the face...)  then a Rock and Roll phase, coinciding with riding British Motorbikes. Sorry to hear about your mate on the Ducati btw. I've a 1981 900ss Ducati that I bought new for my 21st- so I won't do the knee jerk 'dangerous bikes' thing..

In the 1980's It was mostly Jethro Tull, Genesis, Bach ( Brandenburg Concertos), Dire Straits, and a mix of stuff

Late 1980's the record/tape buying dried up- Just realised it was because I bought a derelict cottage, which was not conventionally habitable for years and didn't have electricity for a while, so by this time I got into folk sessions down the local. I eventually gravitated to playing.  I get a lot of benefit by losing myself in practising tunes at home. Managing to get some lift into a tune really helps the spirit, I find.

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 22:14
Chris,

A great post, I like ideas like this. I hope that your friend makes a good recovery.

I've recently had this conversation with Puffingbilly! Born in 1957, I saw the Beatles when in the 1960's at the Hammersmith Odeon. My sister was a great Beatles fan and I was dragged along. I still remember it though and I have fond memories of their music.

For me it's The Moody Blues, Earth Wind and Fire, 10 cc ( when studying for A levels ) , Joan Armatrading, Dire Straits, Steve Windward , Joe Jackson and Gerry Rafferty amongst others.

February was a low month for me and I used music to lift my mood, playing at full volume various tracks of my favourites. It did the trick and I've felt much better since then.

John

User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 00:39
Music sweet music it lifts the soul, they do say it is one thing that Alziemer patients still respond to . It certainly evokes memories in all of us

I don't realy have a genre I just love all music from Classical right the way down to underground Reggae.

I suppose if I had to choose then.

Not in any particular order

R&B

Old style Ragga

Rock and Roll

Soul Music

All time greats top of the list again in no particular order,

Freddy Mercury,

ELvis,

Nina Semone,

Louis Armstrong

The Beatles

Bob Marley

I could go on and on..

I have done various songs on the the forum to sum up our journey. 3 wheels on our wagon being the latest . ( look it up on you tube).

If I had to pick one from the day we were diagnosed well it would have to be ! What a difference a day makes!. 24 little hours.

Our attitude to our situation would have to be Frank Sinatra ! That's Life , it's what all the people say!( look up the words)

If I had to sum up my personality in a song then I would choose Louis Armstrong ! What a wonderful World!🤗

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 09:41
Chris

I listen to music most nights..im a bit older than you but only 8 years lol...i was 24/25 in 1984. But think the 70's is more my genre.

Groups i was/am into were

Sex pistols...the clash...sham 69..jam...iggy pop...dexys..elo..

Listen a lot nowadays to...elbow...sterephonics...travis...greenday...

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Oh yeah love his music as well

Bri

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 10:06
I'll have some Blancmange any day, washed down with some "Rip it up and start again" Orange Juice. Loved One the Juggler, Curiosity, REM, Duran, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, Breathe - plus of course my own music.
User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 10:18

Hi Chris,

I am a bit older, and have that mindset that only 45's really count, as it was only 45's that made the charts.

I am quite proud to say that the first 45 I bought was Baby Love by the Supremes.

But I have never been able to live down the fact that the last 45 I bought was Middle of the Road's Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheap Cheap!

After that I graduated to Albums.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 12:15
As the youngest of 5 kids I grew up with my elder siblings music ..rolling stones, the who, Beatles, leonard Cohen, Joan Baez, Dusty Springfield etc etc. As a teenager I went for soul any type any artist Northern Soul and dancing was my weekend life.

Dobie Gray, out on the floor was my anthem! I also had an absolute crush on Bowie.

Then I hit my early twenties and my tastes broadened considerably. Depeche Mode, the cure, the jam, Talking Heads, Fairground attraction, George Benson, Average white band, supertramp, 10cc , Bryan Adams. The list is endless.

Nowadays I listen to the radio a lot and in the gym my ipod keeps me moving. Friends and I often spend the evening taking it in turns picking one track at a time off Spotify to listen to whilst drinking good wine and munching our way through a huge platter of cheeses, fruits and crackers. ..bliss

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 12:26

You're living the dream Mo !! We love Spotify too and put up with the adverts. I love Led Zeppelin and years back had the best cinema system in town and record deck , tape deck everything. But now the records stay in the loft and youtube or Spotify does the trick.
And Bazza ---- ELO yes yes yes I forgot. I have a limited edition blue vinyl Mr Blue Sky in the loft. I reckon it would be worth a bit.

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 21:23

A good post, Chris J.

Rather than do a 'faves' Desert Island Discs style compilation ( Just corrected an unfortunate  typo on that line..), you got me thinking about what I played again and again. That was probably more down to my limited record/tape collection when younger than anything else.

First off, Neil Sedaka albums ( goes inwardly red in the face...)  then a Rock and Roll phase, coinciding with riding British Motorbikes. Sorry to hear about your mate on the Ducati btw. I've a 1981 900ss Ducati that I bought new for my 21st- so I won't do the knee jerk 'dangerous bikes' thing..

In the 1980's It was mostly Jethro Tull, Genesis, Bach ( Brandenburg Concertos), Dire Straits, and a mix of stuff

Late 1980's the record/tape buying dried up- Just realised it was because I bought a derelict cottage, which was not conventionally habitable for years and didn't have electricity for a while, so by this time I got into folk sessions down the local. I eventually gravitated to playing.  I get a lot of benefit by losing myself in practising tunes at home. Managing to get some lift into a tune really helps the spirit, I find.

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 21:49

Aaah Walnut
A fellow Ducatista!! My pride and joy was my Terblanche 750SS , half faired. Did around 10k miles over the years in France on it. Utter joy and a dream come true since the age of 16. It had every extra and single seat conversion. Unfortunately the riding position got the better of me in the end.
Happy biking

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 22:01

In Red, was it Chris? Great when you've always  hankered after one from an early age..

If I ever get mine back on the road -which it hasn't been for the last 25 years ( life getting in the way but I can't bring myself to sell it because it was such bloody good fun, I had nowhere to store it when I moved, so built this house round it) I'll see about paying you a visit. I have a history of serial big projects and the rebuild is next on the list.

Mine is the original 900ss - black and gold, one of the last imported into the UK. Iknow what you mean about uncompromising riding positions..

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 22:09

Wow, black and gold !! Picture-book stuff. Yeh I went red although they were really pushing yellow at the time. It was my project. Changed the screen , carbon hugger and front mudguard, twin hi level Remus carbon cans , single seat red-white fogarty. Nowhere near as naff as it sounds haha. Gave the rice burners a run for their money through the countryside too

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 22:14
Chris,

A great post, I like ideas like this. I hope that your friend makes a good recovery.

I've recently had this conversation with Puffingbilly! Born in 1957, I saw the Beatles when in the 1960's at the Hammersmith Odeon. My sister was a great Beatles fan and I was dragged along. I still remember it though and I have fond memories of their music.

For me it's The Moody Blues, Earth Wind and Fire, 10 cc ( when studying for A levels ) , Joan Armatrading, Dire Straits, Steve Windward , Joe Jackson and Gerry Rafferty amongst others.

February was a low month for me and I used music to lift my mood, playing at full volume various tracks of my favourites. It did the trick and I've felt much better since then.

John

User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 00:39
Music sweet music it lifts the soul, they do say it is one thing that Alziemer patients still respond to . It certainly evokes memories in all of us

I don't realy have a genre I just love all music from Classical right the way down to underground Reggae.

I suppose if I had to choose then.

Not in any particular order

R&B

Old style Ragga

Rock and Roll

Soul Music

All time greats top of the list again in no particular order,

Freddy Mercury,

ELvis,

Nina Semone,

Louis Armstrong

The Beatles

Bob Marley

I could go on and on..

I have done various songs on the the forum to sum up our journey. 3 wheels on our wagon being the latest . ( look it up on you tube).

If I had to pick one from the day we were diagnosed well it would have to be ! What a difference a day makes!. 24 little hours.

Our attitude to our situation would have to be Frank Sinatra ! That's Life , it's what all the people say!( look up the words)

If I had to sum up my personality in a song then I would choose Louis Armstrong ! What a wonderful World!🤗

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON