I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Concerns and thoughts.

User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 22:23
Hi all, my name is Craig and I'm 49 years old and live in Manchester.

Eight years ago I lost my Dad through Prostate cancer, watching him struggle and fight this disease for three years broke my heart.

I've been hearing more and more reports that PC is hereditary.

I went for a PSA test last Friday and should get my results back next week,so fingers crossed.

Cheers

Craig.

User
Posted 03 May 2016 at 01:25

Hi Craig,
it isn't so much that it is hereditary - not that straightforward.

A small percentage of prostate cancers (about 5% they think) are linked to BRCA genes - the same genetic fault that causes some aggressive breast cancers. Men with a father, brother or other close family member who had early onset prostate cancer or a close female releative with BRCA1/2 breast cancer is at higher risk than other men.

The early onset is key - men whose father / brother / grandfather was diagnosed in their 40s or 50s should be closely monitored - usually from about the age of 40 or maybe even earlier. If dad wasn't diagnosed until he was in his 70s you may not be at any more risk than anyone else.

It is a sad fact that the greatest risk factor you have is that you are a man. PCa is shockingly common - research found that 60% of men in their 60s, 70% of men in their 70s and 80% of octogenerians have cancer in their prostate although many of these men would never be aware of it or need treatment.

Fingers crossed that your results are good, but it will be important to continue to be tested on a regular basis.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 May 2016 at 06:17

Hi Craig
All the best things were made in 1967 -you and I being top of the list ! I really hope your results come back good for you. If not then come back to this forum and we will all help with advice and information and steer you on the right course. Good luck
Chris

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 06:57
Thanks Chris, I will let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Craig.

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 06:59
Thanks Lyn.

I'll stay positive whatever the outcome.

Cheers

Craig.