Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 5.7 to 12.4 in 2 moths

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 15:33

Hi there

I was diagnosed with castrate resistant advanced prostrate cancer in June 2013, having previously had localised prostrate cancer (Gleason score 10) identified in September 2013 and a subsequent treatment of radiotherapy and quarterly hormone injections

Since identifying the advanced nature I have received in addition to the hormone injections a monthly prescription of Enzalutamide and monthly appointments with my consultant preceded my a blood test.

For the first four/five months, the PSA first declined to around 4.5 and then rose to 5.4, but this last blood test (elapsed 2 moths since I had a holiday) has spiked to 12.4.

How worried should I be?  The last MRI scan apparently showed little growth and I am due another in a month or so. 

User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 15:11
Is anyone intending to replt
User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 15:28

They say Tynwald that while on Enzo, the PSA is less important than how you feel and what the scans are saying. Hard I know, but I guess you need to see a pattern over the next few months before you can really tell whether the enzo is helping.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 15:44

Thanks - nice philosophy

User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 15:49

Lyn is bang on right Tynwald. How do you feel. Try for a moment to forget the natural worry which anybody would rightly suffer (I speak as someone on HT plus Enza) and focus on how you feel. Are you living life as before, doing the same things, enjoying all that you can. If so, it's working. PSA is a worry, but then it's as much of a worry at fractionated levels for some as it is in hundreds for others. Roll with the tide, continue with the meds and if you feel good, then that is a blessing you should hold on to. Look for a trend, not a single result.

Good luck brother

Bazza

User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 18:10
Hi,

I agree with the above comments. My Psa has stayed at 0.2 for the past two tests. I asked my Onco how she felt about that as my first post RT had fallen to 0.5. She replied that they look at trends and at the moment they were not worried. I have to stay on HT though for a further year making it a minimum 36 months sentence.
Then she asked me how was I feeling ? Apart from the lethargy that HT brings I actually feel ok. Naturally I'd like a lower score but time will tell on that.
So for the moment I'm enjoying life and I'll worry again as the next test approaches in July. The weathers great at the moment and I'm out to enjoy it!

John
User
Posted 07 May 2016 at 19:27

All - you cannot over-estimate how good it is to get such great encouragement from folks experiencing similar situations - so a great big thanks to all

One other question - I have been looking for ways to potentially mitigate the PSA and to that end having been taking Pomi-T capsules. Any thoughts?