I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate biopsies, a thing of the past?

User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 05:02

Has anyone seen this amazing equipment from the USA that can 3D scan the prostate to identify if you have cancer, and show exactly where it is? I'll never forget my biopsy, this could put an end to men having to go through this uncomfortable, risky and very inaccurate procedure.

www.danielsencier.blogspot.com

There is one now being trialled in the UK

Best wishes 

Daniel Sencier

Edited by moderator 09 May 2016 at 09:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 14:17

That's okay Dan in the first instance but without a biopsy how would they ever know a) what type of prostate cancer it is and b) the Gleason score? My guess is that men with positive scans would still more often than not have a biopsy - just thinking of the valuable time that would be wasted giving a man traditional treatments such as HT if he has small cell or mucinous PCA for example. Presumably, if the scan showed a very small area of tumour, more men would feel confident about AS but otherwise, I can only see a benefit in that fewer unnecessary biopsies would be done.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 14:28

This could well be the new PSAX scanner being used at Liverpool ! Sounds like it .
I think that is Dan's point Lyn ?? Fewer men having to have biopsies. Many people have an MRI before biopsy now , so this scan would not be wasting treatment time ?
Chris

User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 14:49

Of course Lyn, the 40C temperatures in Bangkok must be getting to me :-) but thanks for digging me out Chris.

Edited by member 09 May 2016 at 14:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 15:54

Ah Dan, don't be expecting me to feel sorry for you in all that heat :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 17:31

Hi Guys,

I think the doctors and scientists have something of a race against time?

On the one hand they clearly need something better than the TRUS at actually identifying cancer. 

Simultaneously the increasing risk of infection from antibiotic resistant infections means that the TRUS process may ultimately become too risky. 

In May 2014 a Swedish study found that the risk of hospitalisation following the TRUS biopsy was by 2011 twice as high as it had been in 2006. This was attributed to increasing resistance of Enterobacteriaceae species, a common cause of UTI in Sweden and elsewhere.

See article ‘Severe Infections After Prostate Biopsy on the Rise’ http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/830452

There have even been instances of men dying from the TRUS see

https://www.webmedcentral.com/article_view/3757

So all in all, those of us who have already had a TRUS biopsy, should perhaps consider ourselves lucky?

:)

Dave

User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 20:57

The transperineal template biopsy is not only more reliable in finding cancer than the TRUS one but is also much less likely to lead to infection. Unfortunately, it is a far more extensive procedure, almost always under anesthetic - involving more time and greater cost. Studies are underway to see how much more advanced scans can be used to help identify tumours and reduce biopsies.

Barry