I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Long road ahead !

User
Posted 01 Jun 2016 at 14:46

In the later part of last year (2015) I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. PSA of 12 and Gleeson score of 7. Since then I have had six separate months of hormone injections and then approximately 5 weeks ago I went into hospital to have brachytherapy. I had 44 radiation seed's implanted through 26 needles into the Prostate. While the side effects from the brachy have been quite mild I have suffered from server fatigue for quite a while. I also take tablets on a daily basis for sleeping issues, hot flushes, blood pressure, relaxing muscles and server vitamin D deficiency. Believe it or not but before I was diagnosed with cancer I was a healthy 60 years old. I'm being told that it will be a long road and it may be quite a while before I can go back to work full time. Has anyone else suffered the same as me with server fatigue and how long was it before you got back to full fitness? Any tips regarding exercise or daily tasks I can do to help me on the road to recovery.

User
Posted 01 Jun 2016 at 15:19

hi

re your fatigue this is a common problem which I think we all suffer from and at different levels, for me when the tiredness hits the only thing I do is have a nap

I am trying to keep running but from running 60miles a week I now find running hard my longest run is 3miles but if I do more than one 3miler a week it causes a lot of hip and back pain

we all have to find the best way of dealing with it that we can

regards

nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 01 Jun 2016 at 17:13
Hello,

Yes , fatigue is a common problem with hormone therapy. I'm 22 months into Zoladex and have at least another 14 months to go. I too was fit and healthy before all this started with no symptoms , so it's annoying to feel like this . But I am accepting that the treatment should produce curative therapy for me and I go along with it.
It's important to keep as active as you can. The more you're able to do then the better you'll feel, it's as important though to recognise when you've done enough and stop. Plan your day and how long you want any activity you undertake to last. Some of it is an attitude of mind and keeping as positive as possible is just as necessary , although that's easier said than done sometimes !

I am in general though now coping well with the HT and as time has passed it has become easier , as it's become part of my way of life.
Once a week I now work as a gardener , play tennis weekly , walk daily and go to a weekly exercise class. Until I retired at the end of last year I found being at work evil for the hot flushes . My desk fan was frequently on whilst flushing and my colleagues would laugh at my predicament but were actually very understanding. My record for flushes at work was 28 over an 11 hour shift ! Being free from the stress of work has really helped me.

Good luck and I hope that life can become easier for you too,,

John
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Jun 2016 at 15:19

hi

re your fatigue this is a common problem which I think we all suffer from and at different levels, for me when the tiredness hits the only thing I do is have a nap

I am trying to keep running but from running 60miles a week I now find running hard my longest run is 3miles but if I do more than one 3miler a week it causes a lot of hip and back pain

we all have to find the best way of dealing with it that we can

regards

nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 01 Jun 2016 at 17:13
Hello,

Yes , fatigue is a common problem with hormone therapy. I'm 22 months into Zoladex and have at least another 14 months to go. I too was fit and healthy before all this started with no symptoms , so it's annoying to feel like this . But I am accepting that the treatment should produce curative therapy for me and I go along with it.
It's important to keep as active as you can. The more you're able to do then the better you'll feel, it's as important though to recognise when you've done enough and stop. Plan your day and how long you want any activity you undertake to last. Some of it is an attitude of mind and keeping as positive as possible is just as necessary , although that's easier said than done sometimes !

I am in general though now coping well with the HT and as time has passed it has become easier , as it's become part of my way of life.
Once a week I now work as a gardener , play tennis weekly , walk daily and go to a weekly exercise class. Until I retired at the end of last year I found being at work evil for the hot flushes . My desk fan was frequently on whilst flushing and my colleagues would laugh at my predicament but were actually very understanding. My record for flushes at work was 28 over an 11 hour shift ! Being free from the stress of work has really helped me.

Good luck and I hope that life can become easier for you too,,

John