Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Prostrate Biopsy

User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 19:35

Been to see the Radiologist today, now got to have another MRI scan followed by a CT scan and then 36 sessions of Radiotherapy, she explained all that I have to do for the CT scan and the Radiotherapy, and what food to avoid during this difficult period.

Really not looking forward to this, but hey it's so important for my life and my family.

Not looking forward to the MRI and feeling really gutted after the blood test showing my negative PSA, but just got to pick myself up and get on with it again.

Looks like my life is on hold for the next three months.

User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 20:11

Don't assume your life is going to be on hold. John breezed through RT, had all his appointments first thing in the morning on his way to work, never had a day off and continued with the daily gym sessions and his rugby.

Are they giving you hormones as well or just the RT?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 20:55

Not sure about the hormones, but my doctor seems very good, and she speaks English, she said she would have prefered this treatment to have started much earlier but doesn't know why I was not refered earlier, I said that I was badly incontent and don't think I could have done this treatment earlier, to which she agreed, but she seems to be very keen to get the MRI scan done asap and then the CT scan so she can start my treatment.
I am now under Elche Hospital which is a very nice private hospital, it was more like a walking around a posh hotel than a hospital. But its the treatment that important not the ambience.
Great to hear about John amazing that he continued with his rugby, he must have been very fit to start with.
Don't like the idea of another MRI (to make sure there is no cancer in my lympth glands, as the first MRI was over three months ago) but will just have to overcome my fears again. Then the CT scan with the enema (how I hate those enemas) and drinking water before the scan and having to hold it. The problem for me is that is is a 70 mile roundtrip each day so will have to get to the Hospital earlier than I need to drink my water at the last moment possible as she said I have to wait 30 to 45 minutes after drinking the water before the treatment. She also told me that I will have three tattoes (just small black dots) so they can get me into the same position each day of the treatment its done by lining me up with the dots and a lazer, all way over my head. Ha ha tattoes at my age!!!!
Lets hope this is all worthwhile and I can finally get rid of any cancer left behind after my RP
Thanks again Lyn

User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 21:52

The tattoos are tiny - I looked for John's the other day and we couldn't even find them anymore!!!! A nice ambience matters if it makes you feel secure and confident.

Yes he was quite fit - he climbed Kilimanjaro in between the RP and the RT! And look at our profile - 7 years post diagnosis / nearly 7 years post-op and 5 years after the RT/HT finished, he is undetectable (after a few wobbles) and doesn't really think about PCa very often - it is me that does all the worrying!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Nov 2016 at 06:41

That really is fantastic to hear and of course it's always the women that do the worrying, but to be honest although my wife thinks I am taking all this with a smile on my face and a breeze, I am really struggling inside, but we each find a way of overcoming our problems, and mine is to seem a little blaise about it all.

Thanks again it really is a help to read about others experiences, and John's is a real help to me. Good luck to you both for the future.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 07:18

Hi all
Apologise for not being on here recently but my laptop has been broken and its taken a time to get a replacment one.

So just an update I am now on session 21 of my 36 radiotherapy sessions and doing very well, apart from the effects of flatulance during the night all seems to be going well with no real side effects.

My incontenance is now completly under control and as far as that is concerned am back to normal no more pads.

Four months post op and all seems to be well just hope the results after the radiotherapy is as good as i feel

regards
Anthony

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 22:43

Excellent news H

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 11:35

I have now finished by 36 sessions of Radiotherapy and finally got a report of what my diagnosis actually was, it seems my cancer was a lot more serious than i imagined if Google translate is accurate, and i enclose the translation in English.
I dont understand all the technical details, but think i have got the gist of it.
Now the wait for six weeks to the all telling PSA test.
i have to say all the medical staff at the IMED hospital in Elche have been wonderful despite my lack of ability to speak Spanish but we always managed to understand each other.
Thankfully I have suffered very few of the after effects of the treatment I was warned about
Here is the translation.

65-year-old male patient diagnosed with Intermediate Risk prostate adenocarcinoma with Gleason 4 + 3 and cT2a-b on prostatic MR, who was operated on 9/29/2016 by Prostatectomy.
Adenocarcinoma of prostate operated on Sept 2016 pT3b Gleason 4 + 5 with surgical margin contracted R1-2
Final AP: Prostactomy adenocarcinoma with nodule of 1.4cm Gleason 4 + 5 with extracapsular extension and infiltration of seminal vesicles. Lymphatic and perineural infiltration present. Surgical edge in quotation R1-2
With these data, we propose adjuvant radiotherapy, which is why the patient is referred to our centre.

Good luck to you all out there that are still going or just starting out on this route to recovery

User
Posted 08 Mar 2017 at 15:06

Happy, te deseo lo mejor.
Estoy segura de que te tratarán bien en mi país, que es tu país.
If you ever need some help with your Spanish online, just tell me.
Un abrazo,
Lola.