Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Auricular Accupuncture - it works for me

User
Posted 02 Jun 2016 at 08:34
Hi All

Just thought I'd share my favourable experiences of auricular (Ear) accupuncture to mitigate hot flushes/sweats.

Approximately 1 month after commencing Hormone therapy through Zoladex injections I started to experience some of the widely published side effects, in the form of Fatigue and also mild hot sweats.

After some research on managing side effects and then learning about the availability of some free Accupuncture sessions, I decided to give it a go, so with an open mind about effectiveness, I started to attend group Accupuncture sessions at the Robert Ogden Macmillan Centre at St James' Hospital Leeds.

Although I wasn't able to conclusively identify any immediate benefit to myself, the other regular attendees at the once a week, 1 hour group sessions, all spoke so favourably about the benefits, so I stuck with it.

After attending weekly for approximately 10 weeks, and not being able validate the benefits, I then missed 3 sessions for a holiday and I experienced an increase in the frequency and regularity of my hot sweats, which on returning to the weekly sessions did noticeably diminished again, which has now convinced me that it works for me.

So I am now fully converted to auricula Accupuncture as an alternative therapy that does help, but not necessarily prevent, hot sweats, and I would suggest that it's definitely worth giving a go (with on a open mind) to anybody looking for help in mitigating the side effects of hormone therapy.

I hope this might help others, and I am prepared to elaborate more on the process if anybody desires.

Regards,

Graham.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2016 at 17:38

Thanks Graham. I'm sure this will be of benefit to some of the Zoladex users (providing they aren't needle phobic of course !!)

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Jun 2016 at 19:03
Graham,

I too have had acupuncture for hot flushes and believe it that it has helped me, although I was sceptical when I first started. When I was at work my colleagues commented on how less frequently I was using my desk fan a month or so after starting acupuncture, which indicated that it was working.They didn't know I was having this treatment. Similarly as you found ,the number of daily flushes increase when I've had a break from it.

However retiring from work at the end of last year was definitely the most beneficial. No stress now - ---!

I still suffer from the flushes and find the night sweats the worst though , but far fewer than before.

John