Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED

User
Posted 14 Jun 2016 at 19:32

A CALL TO THE WIDE COMMUNITY FOR VOLUNTEERS:

With full support and permissions of the charity Prostate cancer UK, I am seeking a number of volunteers. Over the 12 - 18 months I am looking to publish a photographic record of individuals that have gotten through the trauma of prostate cancer. I am seeking individuals who have have progressed past all the difficulties and stress related hurdles and are now managing life in positive & constructive way.

My objective is to raise awareness of early diagnosis and early action, and, that being diagnosed with prostate cancer is not the end of life. I was diagnosed in 2010. Volunteers will (a) Have to be prepared for a portrait photograph of themselves, (probably at our studio at the University of Bolton). (b) be invited to compose a couple of uplifting paragraphs that reflect their optimism and character to accompany their portrait. This will be all voluntary. Profits going to the charity. Myself? I am a mature full time student at the University of Bolton studying Photography BA. I want to utilise the resources at hand to benefit of the wider community.

Please contact me if you feel you could help. This publication will not be a "Moan Book", but a positive reassurance to others that will come after ourselves.

Best wishes, Ian Smith

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gifhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

FOTOFANTASTIC
User
Posted 14 Jun 2016 at 23:10

nice idea and I wish you the best of luck with it. Unfortunately, I can't think of any good news about my husband's diagnosis, or my dad or father-in-law's - if there is life and rosiness after the trauma, we aren't there yet :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Jun 2016 at 12:01

An interesting idea. But for many on this site prostate cancer diagnosis is the end of life, amongst 10000 a year. Now many with such a terminal diagnosis will make the most of their time and celebrate life and living as much as death and dying and find much joy in that time, to exclude that feels like dismissing those who are damaged beyond repair whilst focusing just on cureable cancer. There is much joy whatever your prognosis and as Lyn suggests much anguish too. Maybe the project should reflect that diversity.

User
Posted 15 Jun 2016 at 14:22

Folks,

I am very pleased that you took the time out to check out my request. Totally understand the contents of your message. I have taken on board your comments about the location of my request, and, sent requests to alternative places. When I am successful in my objective, I will post some progress.

Always happy to hear from you.

Good luck to you guys. 

Ian

FOTOFANTASTIC
User
Posted 15 Jun 2016 at 17:15

Thanks Ian - I suppose the difficulty is that most people that continue as members of this forum do so because they have ongoing problems or will not recover. Men that are diagnosed, get treated successfully and move on have no need of an online support group.

Best wishes though

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard