I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Slow urine flow

User
Posted 19 Jun 2016 at 05:24

6 years since robotic surgery and my PSA is still undetectable. However, in the past year my urine flow has slowed considerably, especially when sitting, it's a bit faster when standing. Any ideas of what could be causing this?

User
Posted 19 Jun 2016 at 14:31

Da Vinci it was. Well I'm in Bangkok for now so maybe get it checked out when I'm back in UK. Not sure I trust a Thai camera up my spout, it might be a Kodak Instamatic!

User
Posted 19 Jun 2016 at 11:03
D

My slow flow is the result of scar tissue and the migration of a surgical clip. The scar tissue started causing problems within 3 months and redeveloped after about 9 months. What do you call slow and are you emptying your bladder ?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Jun 2016 at 08:40

Hi i developed a weaker flow within days of the cathetar being removed. The camera revealed a bladder neck stenosis ie stricture caused by scar tissue. They could not get the camera into my bladder.

I was booked in for an op to resolve. Gowned up and sat waiting to be put under i asked a question. I asked if the op was purely to improve my flow or whether it was to prevent further health problems developing. I explained the flow was weaker but wasnt bothering me. The anaethetist summed it up by saying "basically you cant p**s over a fence". After much discussion with the surgeon he said to me....i can improve your flow but you may end up wearing 4 or 5 pads a day. So i decided not to proceed with the op and was walked back from the theatre. Thrre years later my flow is still weaker but, touch wood, has not got any worse.

As others have said consider all your options before making a decision

Bri

User
Posted 20 Jun 2016 at 20:42

Thanks Daniel,

Not really into Skype, more a FaceTime user. But had some great news today, Bone Scan clear. I only hope that CAT scan isn't too bad. Get the results Wednesday.

Stuart,

You're right about not letting it go too bad. For some reason about 6 weeks ago a blockage came out of nowhere, even though I was constantly dripping whilst standing, one Sunday I simply couldn't pass a drop, no matter how hard I tried. This started early in the morning 10 o'clock at night I was in A & E having a catherter inserted, much to my relieve, the pain had been unbearable. They drained off 2 litres in minutes. Two days later I had the catherter removed, now I'm just dripping normally. Fortunately when lying down I don't drip a drop. My Urologist hasn't a clue as what might have happened.

Brian,

I wish I'd gone down your route and not had the stricture op. As I said in my post to Daniel I should have kept my mouth shut.

Onwards and upwards.

Cheers,
Stu

User
Posted 21 Jun 2016 at 15:40

I developed a stricture around the site of my (unsuccessful) sling implant. It was found during routine testing before my AUS was put in. The urologist was most insistant that the stricture had to be sorted because the alternative of bunging up the works was too dangerous - it might have been impossible to put a catheter in without causing damage. The only slight downside of the stricture relief was having to self-catheterise for a couple of months to make sure it didn't close up again.

Yes, the operation to relieve the stricture did put me back to the position of leakage immediately after my LRP, but as the AUS was on the horizon, I didn't mind too much.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Jun 2016 at 11:03
D

My slow flow is the result of scar tissue and the migration of a surgical clip. The scar tissue started causing problems within 3 months and redeveloped after about 9 months. What do you call slow and are you emptying your bladder ?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 19 Jun 2016 at 11:08

Yes, emptying bladder, just slowly. Unlikely to be scar tissue for me, so long after surgery.

User
Posted 19 Jun 2016 at 13:56
D

I would have been surprised if it was from surgery,did you have laprascopic or da Vinci robotic surgery. If it was da Vinci do not rule out the clip migration. I would think a camera into the urethra/ bladder would be a wise choice.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 19 Jun 2016 at 14:31

Da Vinci it was. Well I'm in Bangkok for now so maybe get it checked out when I'm back in UK. Not sure I trust a Thai camera up my spout, it might be a Kodak Instamatic!

User
Posted 19 Jun 2016 at 18:49
Hi Daniel,

I had a very similar problem. However this occurred almost 10 years after my RP/RT. During a routine visit to my Urologist in December I mentioned the flow problem, I wish that I'd kept my mouth shut. He tried to insert a catherter, which he couldn't do so and it hurt like hell. He said that I have a restriction most likely caused by scar tissue. So he said that he'd give me an internal operation, I believe this is called a stricture. I had this op in January this year.

For about 4 weeks the flow was pretty good, then for some unknown reason I became incontinent. And I still am today, going through boxes of pads. This really peed me off as I had never suffered from any incontinent troubles during the whole 10 years, dry right from day one of my RP.

My Urologist believes that he can improve things through another op. However before proceeding further I'm waiting the results of a CAT and bone scan, as my PSA has risen rapidly.

I personally believe that the surgeon has dislodged a clip that was inserted in my bladder valve during my RP, I have a stabbing pain in my groin when sitting. This is a different surgeon who performed my RP. The strange thing is in the past 8 years I have had 2 operations on my bladder to remove stones. No sign of any trouble after both these ops.

So be very careful how you proceed.

You certainly have no PSA issues with a constant 0.03.

Cheers

Stu

User
Posted 20 Jun 2016 at 01:19

Thanks Stu, on hearing that I'll just leave it alone unless it gets much worse. I'm mainly thinking of you and hope your scans come back ok, I know it's an awful time of worry. I'm on Skype here if you ever need to talk, but I'm 6 hours ahead of you. Let me know how you get on. Best wishes Daniel

User
Posted 20 Jun 2016 at 08:37

Another option would be to try flomax, it would be better than surgery.

User
Posted 20 Jun 2016 at 08:40

Hi i developed a weaker flow within days of the cathetar being removed. The camera revealed a bladder neck stenosis ie stricture caused by scar tissue. They could not get the camera into my bladder.

I was booked in for an op to resolve. Gowned up and sat waiting to be put under i asked a question. I asked if the op was purely to improve my flow or whether it was to prevent further health problems developing. I explained the flow was weaker but wasnt bothering me. The anaethetist summed it up by saying "basically you cant p**s over a fence". After much discussion with the surgeon he said to me....i can improve your flow but you may end up wearing 4 or 5 pads a day. So i decided not to proceed with the op and was walked back from the theatre. Thrre years later my flow is still weaker but, touch wood, has not got any worse.

As others have said consider all your options before making a decision

Bri

User
Posted 20 Jun 2016 at 18:59

Might possibly be a stricture?  Best get it looked at as you don't want to let it get too bad as you can go into retention (not pleasant - an A&E visit).

Flexi

User
Posted 20 Jun 2016 at 20:42

Thanks Daniel,

Not really into Skype, more a FaceTime user. But had some great news today, Bone Scan clear. I only hope that CAT scan isn't too bad. Get the results Wednesday.

Stuart,

You're right about not letting it go too bad. For some reason about 6 weeks ago a blockage came out of nowhere, even though I was constantly dripping whilst standing, one Sunday I simply couldn't pass a drop, no matter how hard I tried. This started early in the morning 10 o'clock at night I was in A & E having a catherter inserted, much to my relieve, the pain had been unbearable. They drained off 2 litres in minutes. Two days later I had the catherter removed, now I'm just dripping normally. Fortunately when lying down I don't drip a drop. My Urologist hasn't a clue as what might have happened.

Brian,

I wish I'd gone down your route and not had the stricture op. As I said in my post to Daniel I should have kept my mouth shut.

Onwards and upwards.

Cheers,
Stu

User
Posted 21 Jun 2016 at 15:40

I developed a stricture around the site of my (unsuccessful) sling implant. It was found during routine testing before my AUS was put in. The urologist was most insistant that the stricture had to be sorted because the alternative of bunging up the works was too dangerous - it might have been impossible to put a catheter in without causing damage. The only slight downside of the stricture relief was having to self-catheterise for a couple of months to make sure it didn't close up again.

Yes, the operation to relieve the stricture did put me back to the position of leakage immediately after my LRP, but as the AUS was on the horizon, I didn't mind too much.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 22 Jun 2016 at 01:31

Thanks Stu, and everyone, I think I'll leave it as it is for now as it's not bad at all after listening to some of your experiences. Very pleased for you on the bone scan Stu, I know how that feels. Hope the CAT scan results go well today. Best wishes Daniel

User
Posted 25 Jun 2017 at 08:36

Hi Stu, a year on and how did things work out for you? Well, I hope. I still pee slowly sitting down but normal standing up, and with PSA at zero still, I'm not going to bother for now. Best wishes Daniel

User
Posted 26 Jun 2017 at 09:42
Keep an eye on it though Daniel, John had a slowing flow for months before the retention (which was horrific) and that led to an SPC. His kidneys were badly damaged from the continual retention and his ureters were massive. Don't let your kidneys be damaged please.

You are certainly a globe trotter these day!

Devonmaid xx

Edited by member 04 Jul 2017 at 10:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jul 2017 at 07:14
Hi Dan

If you pardon the pun keep an "eye" on it and dont ignore.

From a very hot Fethiye

Bazza x

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 21:21

I'm 15mths down the line and still dribbling ,using the mini shields to be safe when going out ,but , out of the blue , recently wet the bed at night , which really upset me . I had had a couple of pints during the evening following footy , but thats not caused a problem like this previously .After this time should I be totally dry by now or does my relapse indicate there might be something more worrying going off?Any thoughts welcome.