Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

enlarged and raised psa - psa raised

User
Posted 24 Jun 2016 at 21:08

Dear All,

My story so far , approx 6 years ago (im now 51 ) i had lots of blood in my urine from a sport injury ,went in for a camera into my bladder found to be a bleed from my prostrate ,  prescribed finistride stayed on it for two years the bleed stopped within a week decided to to become very very fit etc doctor said dont take finistride ,so now not so fit due to work ,few months ago it just felt like it didnt feel right down there went to dr who said blood tests etc , no urine infection then more bloods ,they checked that 12 months ago my PSA was 3 latest test showed 4 ,then told MRI  scan all done very quickly ,then a letter comes saying that i have an enlarged prostrate but it does show an equvaqual abnormality at the base of the prostrate in a difficult area to get at but it is most likely just an enlarged prostrate benign , but recommends a bioopsy the one using ultra sound in back passage and needles under testicles  ,so now im a little concerned to have the biopsy should i not monitor the PSA before  in a few months time as they dont seem to be to concerned just recommend the bioopsy.

Any advice please   many thanks in advance

User
Posted 25 Jun 2016 at 12:24

Dear Both,

many thanks for your replies ,to be honest i didnt really have to push that hard for the tests , it was a nurse who wanted the blood tests ,just not sure what to do at the moment what are the down sides of the Biopsy they have told me they would need to target the prostrate all over just in case as they say even the MRI  isnt that accurate and it would appear that my leison is about 1 cm in size ,is it not possible to monitor that and see what it does and monitor the PSA  .

And as you say you are all a friendly bunch and the more information we all gather the better it seems to be  ,i intend to keep updating where i am with this , must admit the camera in the bladder was a strange experience when this all started 5 years ago .

Cheers  

User
Posted 25 Jun 2016 at 13:23

Hi Mr E,

The downsides of the biopsy are irritating, maybe passing a bit of blood for a while on the toilet, maybe the chance of an infection but you will probably get some antibiotics to take before the biopsy as a JIC (Just In Case) measure. As I understand it and read here and elsewhere the downside are relatively minor and seldom get complicated.

The UPSIDE of the biopsy is that it is probably the best single indicator of whether or not and or how much cancer you may be carrying? But if you have 12 samples, they may all just miss a growth. An MRI scan is only as good as the person reading it. The only certain test is of your prostate in a laboratory.

The procedure is often described as undignified, but once we are on the PCa road it is good to get used to the idea of leaving "dignity" outside the cubicle along with your wallet and mobile. Take your sense of humour in with you though.

I can not recall if they gave me an enema at mine? Local anaesthetic, and a group of people behind you as you lie on your side knees up legs bent, and relaxed. Yeah, relaxed, :-) , actually it does help. The tool is lubricated and inserted and fires what feels like a rubber band pinging up inside your backside and snaps against your insides, and on withdrawal has a bit of your prostate on the end of it.

It really is no big deal mostly, fretting about it is worse than the actual experience of most men.

Good luck with it.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Jun 2016 at 06:38

Hello Mr E and welcome to the site.

PSA of 3 then 4 could very well be caused by the enlarged prostate or infection (I know you said that came back clear)

I'm not going to advise about the biopsy. My husband had one and it was necessary to show the consultant just where the problem was and the extent. It was pretty trouble free afterwards, just soreness and some blood in urine and semen for a while but it all cleared up. He didn't find it a pleasant experience but it wasn't horrendous either.

There will be others on here who will advise you more wisely than I because they actually had biopsies.

What I can say is that you have been very lucky in the activity that your problem has produced from the point of view of GP and hospital involvement.

Early diagnosis of Prostate cancer would mean that you have many treatment options open to you, including something called Active Surviellance (which is monitoring you on a regular basis and nothing invasive happening)

Many men with PC, especially those who have fought their doctors for a PSA test for months or even years in some cases, would envy you your proactive team because by the time they have persuaded their doctor to actually do something their treatment options are more limited.

I'm sure that other members will be along at some stage today, especially now I've bumped you up the list so just hang in there until they come along.

We are a friendly bunch who support each other the best we can. If you end up being diagnosed with an enlarged prostate then I'm very happy for you.
If you end up being told you have cancer, then this site is the best one for help and information.

Please try to avoid going on Google. A lot of information on there is just not relevant to this country.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 25 Jun 2016 at 06:40  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Jun 2016 at 12:24

Dear Both,

many thanks for your replies ,to be honest i didnt really have to push that hard for the tests , it was a nurse who wanted the blood tests ,just not sure what to do at the moment what are the down sides of the Biopsy they have told me they would need to target the prostrate all over just in case as they say even the MRI  isnt that accurate and it would appear that my leison is about 1 cm in size ,is it not possible to monitor that and see what it does and monitor the PSA  .

And as you say you are all a friendly bunch and the more information we all gather the better it seems to be  ,i intend to keep updating where i am with this , must admit the camera in the bladder was a strange experience when this all started 5 years ago .

Cheers  

User
Posted 25 Jun 2016 at 13:23

Hi Mr E,

The downsides of the biopsy are irritating, maybe passing a bit of blood for a while on the toilet, maybe the chance of an infection but you will probably get some antibiotics to take before the biopsy as a JIC (Just In Case) measure. As I understand it and read here and elsewhere the downside are relatively minor and seldom get complicated.

The UPSIDE of the biopsy is that it is probably the best single indicator of whether or not and or how much cancer you may be carrying? But if you have 12 samples, they may all just miss a growth. An MRI scan is only as good as the person reading it. The only certain test is of your prostate in a laboratory.

The procedure is often described as undignified, but once we are on the PCa road it is good to get used to the idea of leaving "dignity" outside the cubicle along with your wallet and mobile. Take your sense of humour in with you though.

I can not recall if they gave me an enema at mine? Local anaesthetic, and a group of people behind you as you lie on your side knees up legs bent, and relaxed. Yeah, relaxed, :-) , actually it does help. The tool is lubricated and inserted and fires what feels like a rubber band pinging up inside your backside and snaps against your insides, and on withdrawal has a bit of your prostate on the end of it.

It really is no big deal mostly, fretting about it is worse than the actual experience of most men.

Good luck with it.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 26 Jun 2016 at 21:41

Dear all ,

Thanks for your replies , i have read some where on the net that the biopsy  in rare cases has caused the cancer to actually start is this just a myth ? i know its a low percentage but has this happened in the uk ?

User
Posted 26 Jun 2016 at 21:43

Also my MRI came back saying equivical lieson , what a word ! which i think means they dont know what it is ? 

User
Posted 26 Jun 2016 at 22:35

It is called needle tracking and I think it is about whether the cancer cells can travel along the line that the needle took, and then spread. I have never heard anyone claim that the biopsy can cause cancer. I don't think there is any solid evidence of needle tracking and if it happens, it is presumably extremely rare - however, the risk of cancer spreading via a biopsy is nowhere near as dangerous as not getting diagnosed and therefore not getting treatment before it becomes incurable :-(

Equivocal Lesion - there is something there but we can't be certain it is cancer.

Unequivocal - without any doubt

I don't think anyone reading scans would ever say the grey area they see on the scan is unequivocally cancerous - the most they would be able to conclude is thwt it is 'highly suspicious of cancer' or 'highly indicative of cancer'. Either way, your scan showed a lesion 1cm in size (which is quite significant in relation to the size of a prostate) and you need to know what it is I think?

Edited by member 26 Jun 2016 at 22:39  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard