I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

B2PCa @ THE MILL 2017: THE 10th ANNIVERSARY - B2PCa

User
Posted 02 Jul 2016 at 19:36

Hello again my friends.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Next year marks a milestone for the summer gatherings at The Mill On The Soar in Broughton Astley, Leics.

It will be the 10th Anniversary of B2PCa @ The Mill, those thoroughly enjoyable get-togethers which consist of the afternoon of the function itself, on:

SATURDAY 1st JULY 2017, and if you'd like, joining so many of us who stay there overnight on the Friday and Saturday too.

Our excuse? Well, if you've travelled far, you need a break, and of course, there are those two crazy nights in the bar and restaurant, and since you must be able to drive home sober, Sunday morning is the perfect time to hit the road.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Of course, some sensible people living not so far away just travel there and back on the Saturday.

I so wish I lived closer, rather than having that 200 mile drive down the M1.

OK, you have me sussed, I'm telling porkies.

I wouldn't miss the two nights for the world.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Group emails will be sent out much sooner this year, and if you haven't been before, please email me as soon as possible and I'll send you more info as well as adding your names to the mailing list, which ensures regular updates throught the year.

georgehardy51@msn.com

Hoping for a 'Full House' next year, and we really would love to see some of you new guys and wives/partners join us.

All the very best,

George

User
Posted 02 Jul 2016 at 21:38

Please keep me on the circulation list George - you do a really fantastic job of organising all this for us xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 May 2017 at 17:14

Dear Friends,

Today is 1st May, and it's time for the LAST CALL FOR THE 'PARTY AT THE MILL' on Sat 1st July.

Just 8 weeks till the 'Big Do', there are 20 places still available, and it's now time for me to get everything finalised.

If you haven't yet booked, please email me a.s.a.p. at:

georgehardy51@msn.com

I have already paid The Mill a large deposit on the 'do', but I am still waiting for confirmations/buffet payments from some folks.

Could you please (pretty please!) get these to me by Monday 15th May?

Really looking forward to seeing you all again, and for any newcomers, it's not to late to book up and join the 'crazy gang' on the day.

All the info you'll need about the function is in the posts above.

Just drop me a line. You'd be made very welcome!

All the very best,

George

User
Posted 03 Jul 2017 at 15:15

Well, that's the 10th anniversary of The Mill event over now.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Had a fabulous time meeting you all,  we had great guest speakers, some very naughty verses were read out too, food excellent as always, and the sun shone down on us, wow!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

A fabulous weekend amongst friends, what could be better?!

The next Mill event? SATURDAY 23rd JUNE 2018

THANK YOU ALL

Stay well my friends,

George

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Jul 2016 at 21:38

Please keep me on the circulation list George - you do a really fantastic job of organising all this for us xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Oct 2016 at 15:33

2017 marks the 10th Anniversary of B2PCa @ The Mill.

I find that incredible. After that first one in 2007, never in a million years did I think I think I'd still be here years later, much older, even more dozy, yet still here.

And there are some of you who've been coming along for almost as long as me!

Of course, over those years we've now lost some of the best friends we've ever had the privilege of knowing, but the memories of those friendships and all our meetings together stay with us.

As I said in my last group email, the planning is starting early, so please check your diaries just to make sure that you're able to come on SATURDAY 1st JULY next year.

Keeping everything crossed here that the date doesn't clash with Wedding Anniversaries, going to weddings or being away in the sun. It would be so good to have a 'Full House' on this special occasion.

If you're already on the group mailing list, further, regular emails will give you full information about the whole weekend, not just the afternoon of the 'do'.

I will also update on this forum regularly.

It's much too early to send payments, but having a good idea of the numbers and rooms required would be a big help.

If you're able to confirm early, please do, and let me know if you'd like accommodation on the Friday or Saturday  - or both, as so many of us do.

At the moment I've secured only  11 rooms: 1-10 (the lower section of the block), and Room 11 on the upper floor) but if you're sure you are coming, and need accommodation, please let me know  as soon as possible if you want any of the 25 rooms held for you (I know that some of you have a preference for certain rooms).

Here is a list of those already booked to attend next year:

NAME

CONFIRMED?

BUFFET

ROOMS BOOKED

ALAN (Art) & CELIA 

YES

2 x T

Room 1 FRI & SAT

CHRIS (Exbus) & SHIRLEY

YES

1 x T 1 x D

N/A

GEORGE, LYNN & KATRINA

YES

1 x T 2 x D

Room 5 FRI & SAT

JAMES GRANT & LIZ

YES

2 x T

N/A

JANET D (jlbatty)

YES

Room 6 FRI & SAT

KAREN NEWMAN

KEITH CASS

YES

1 x D

KEITH & CAMILLA

YES

Room 11 FRI & SAT

PAUL (Yorkhull)

YES

Room 2 FRI & SAT

TERRI McCOO (Casamaluca)

YES

Room 3 FRI & SAT

TOM & LINDA

YES

1 x T 1 x D

Room 7 FRI & SAT

Nick Wright from PCUK is coming along on his special day. He was last there about five years ago, but wants to do a feature this time, CAN YOU HELP?  Here's a note from him:

I’m sure we’ll be able to do something for next year’s meet up too, we just need to get our ducks in a row. Once you get a list of people attending, it would be great to know if any of them would want to share their story before the event? As I mentioned I don’t want to be intruding on people at the event by asking about their stories and what not (as well as getting photos) but the more case studies we have, the more people we can reach as hearing from people like you will always have more impact. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Nick

Nick Wright

Head of Marketing Communications

Prostate Cancer UK

Fourth floor, The Counting House,

53 Tooley Street, London SE1 2QN

T: 0203 310 7060

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's lots of time to prepare a story of your PCa journey. If you're interested in doing this, can you please email them to me as soon as you have them ready, and Nick will start to put them together before April next year.

As well as looking forward to meeting up with so many old friends, who've been coming along for years, can I make a personal plea?

Over my almost 12 years on the PCUK site and other forums, I have got to know so many of you guys well online, and through emails, yet we still haven't met!

It would make my day (in fact my year!) if this could change on 1st July 2017.  : )

Please email me at:

georgehardy51@msn.com

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Very best wishes always,

George

User
Posted 17 Oct 2016 at 09:50

It would be great if we did manage to put faces to names from this site, George does a fantastic job of organising the DO, so let's make our 10year anniversary a day with lots of new attendees.

Chris.

User
Posted 01 Dec 2016 at 11:54

Dear Friends,

Here's another early reminder about our annual summer gathering at The Mill On The Soar, in Broughton Astley, Leics on SATURDAY 1st JULY 2017.

2017 marks the 10th Anniversary of B2PCa @ The Mill.

As I said in my last group email, the planning is starting early, so please check your diaries just to make sure that you're able to come on SATURDAY 1st JULY next year.

Keeping everything crossed here that the date doesn't clash with Wedding Anniversaries, going to weddings or being away in the sun. It would be so good to have a 'Full House' on this special occasion.

Further, regular emails will give you full information about the whole weekend, not just the afternoon of the 'do'.

It's much too early to send payments, but having a good idea of the numbers and rooms required would be a big help.

If you're able to confirm early, please do, and let me know if you'd like accommodation on the Friday or Saturday  - or both, as so many of us do.

At the moment I've secured only rooms 1-11  in the block  and 21 & 24 in the cottages, but if you're sure you are 

coming, and need accommodation, just let me know  as soon as possible if you want me to book any particular room for you. I can do this till the end of December.

Email me at: georgehardy51@msn.com

If you decide to book your accommodation after Dec 31st this year, can you please ring The Mill On The Soar directly to secure a room:

TEL: 01455 282419 

Rooms 1 -10 are on the ground floor of the block, 11 - 20 are on the upper floor.

Rooms 21 - 25 are the cottages next to reception:

21, 22 & 23 ground floor, 24 & 25 upper floor.

Here is the list of those already booked in:

NAME 

ALAN (Art) & CELIA:  Room 1 FRI & SAT

Barry (Man_With_PCa) Room 21 Sat

Derrick B: Room 24 Fri & St

GEORGE, LYNN & KATRINA:  Room 5 FRI & SAT

JANET D (jlbatty):  Room 6 FRI & SAT

KEITH CASS 

KEITH & CAMILLA:  Room 11 FRI & SAT

PAUL (Yorkhull): Room 2 FRI & SAT

TERRI (Casamaluca): Room 3 FRI & SAT

TOM & LINDA:  Room 7 FRI & SAT

You may remember I mentioned Nick Wright from PCUK is coming along on this special day. He was last at The Mill with us about five or six years ago, but wants to do a big feature this time, CAN YOU HELP?

Here's that first note from him: (but since then, everything IS organised at his end).

I’m sure we’ll be able to do something for next year’s meet up too, we just need to get our ducks in a row. Once you get a list of people attending, it would be great to know if any of them would want to share their story before the event? As I mentioned I don’t want to be intruding on people at the event by asking about their stories and what not (as well as getting photos) but the more case studies we have, the more people we can reach as hearing from people like you will always have more impact. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Nick

Nick Wright

Head of Marketing Communications

Prostate Cancer UK

Fourth floor, The Counting House,

53 Tooley Street, London SE1 2QN

T: 0203 310 7060

Nick's a great young guy, does fabulous work, and is ultra-helpful at all times.

He'd like to hear from any of us who has a story to tell about how they've fared over the course of their illness (the ups and the downs, even the occasional funny moments).

I also told him about how proud we guys are of the girls, sadly alone now, who have formed remarkable lifetime friendships, who meet so regularly and have even taken taken holidays together.

He'd like stories from them too, so once again, guys and Goddesses,  CAN YOU HELP?

I have received a few emails from people willing to put a story together for the feature, and intend to send them on to Nick, a few at time between now and March, giving him time to get everything absolutely right.

When you're ready, please email me your story, the sooner the better.

It would nice to get things rolling.

All the very best, always,

George

User
Posted 25 Jan 2017 at 15:26

Dear Friends,

Here's the first reminder this year about our annual summer gathering at The Mill On The Soar, in Broughton Astley, Leics on SATURDAY 1st JULY 2017.

It's that month again, January, and time to book your places for the 'do' - a very special one this year as it marks 10 yrs since that very first event there way back in 2007.

The function runs from 1pm till 5pm and buffets cost £15 p.p.

We have 3 choices of food:

1) Traditional
2) Red meat free & dairy free
3) Vegan

And each and every time, the Mill catering has been superb.

If you decide to book accommodation on Fri 30th June and/or Sat 1st July can you please ring The Mill On The Soar directly to secure a room:

TEL: 01455 282419

Rooms 1 -10 are on the ground floor of the block, 11 - 20 are on the upper floor.

Rooms 21 - 25 are the cottages next to reception:
21, 22 & 23 ground floor, 24 & 25 upper floor.

Here is the list of those already booked to attend::

ALAN (Art) & CELIA

Barry (Man_With_PCa)

CHRIS (Exbus) & SHIRLEY

Derrick B

GEORGE, LYNN & KATRINA

JAMES G

JANET D (jlbatty)

KAREN N

KEITH CASS

KEITH & CAMILLA

MICHAEL & CAROL

PAUL (Denzel) & JULIA

PAUL (Yorkhull)

STEVE (NikonSteve0

TERRI (Casamaluca)

TOM & LINDA

Further, regular emails will give you full information about the whole weekend, not just the afternoon of the 'do'.

But at the moment, having a good idea of the numbers and buffet choices required would be a big help.

You can begin sending in the buffet money as soon as you like. In April I always pay The Mill a deposit off full payment.

If you'd like to join us all, please email me as soon as possible at:

georgehardy51@msn.com

And once again, (that heartfelt plea!), if you have read on here about the B2PCa summer event over the years but haven't yet come along, let this be the year we finally all meet up at last!

New members would be made very welcome too. We're not scary you know, we're just 'mad as hatters' and the whole weekend is FUN.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon, and hoping to meet even more of you good people on 1st July.

All the very best,

George

User
Posted 03 Feb 2017 at 20:54

Hi Folks,

It's now 3rd February, and the clock is ticking for our summer get-together.

Time for an update on B2PCa @The Mill On The Soar on SAT 1st JULY.

Here is the new list of those already booked to attend::

ALAN (Art) & CELIA

ALAN (Tiles) & SANDRA

BARRY (Man_With_PCa) & BARBARA

BARRY LEWIS

CHRIS (Exbus) & SHIRLEY

Derrick B

GEORGE, LYNN & KATRINA

JAMES G & LIZ

JANET D (jlbatty)

KAREN N

KEITH CASS

KEITH & CAMILLA

MICHAEL & CAROL

PAUL (Denzel) & JULIA

PAUL (Yorkhull)

STEVE (NikonSteve)

TERRI (Casamaluca)

TOM & LINDA

TONY (Tonypw) & ELAINE

Everyone is welcome, and newcomers particularly so.

Make this the year you'll finally put faces to many of the names you know here on the PCUK forums.

I'm told there are still rooms available if anyone would like accommodation on the Friday night (30th June) and/or Saturday 1st July.
They may go quite quickly, so please ring The Mill On The Soar direct to try to book a room,

If you've already contacted me, then rurther, regular 'group emails' will give you full information about the whole weekend.
Payments for the buffet have already started to come in (THANK YOU) and I'll be paying a deposit to The Mill in April.

You'll receive an email as receipt for buffet money payments.

If you've never been before and would like to join us all, please email me as soon as possible at:

georgehardy51@msn.com

And don't forget, Nick Wright, (Head of Marketing Communications at PCUK) is doing a feature about this 10th Anniversary of B2PCa @ The Mill and would like to hear your stories of your personal PCa journey.

We're hoping he'll receive a good number of them from you over the next 2 or 3 months, in time to have them ready for the news feauture he'll be writing soon after the 'Big Do'

Could you send them directly to Nick at:nicholas.wright@prostatecanceruk.org

Very best wishes,

Looking forward to meeiting you all,

George

Edited by member 04 Feb 2017 at 16:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Mar 2017 at 20:27

Hi Guys.

It's Sunday 12th March, and 110 days till we meet at The Mill On The Soar.

There are now just 20 places left.

All details are in the posts above, but if you haven't yet got your name down, please email me as soon as you can:

georgehardy51@msn.com

Stay well my friends,

George

User
Posted 12 Mar 2017 at 22:59
Is the hotel dog friendly. I don't go anywhere without my French b**** - and the missus.

Bazza

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 10:55

Hi Bazza,

Sorry to say, dogs aren't allowed at The Mill. 

For the first three years of these functions (2007 -2009) Lynn and I had to drive 200 miles to get there for noon, and then set off at 5pm to drive home.

We couldn't leave our beautiful (practically human) Afgan Hound alone for too long.

The side story to that is, when I was told I had only 2 or 3 years left in 2005, I was worried sick about how Lynn would cope with such a big and powerful 'one man' dog alone.

Luckliy we were together till he died in my arms in 2010 at the age of 14.

It's amazing how many devoted dog lovers we have here isn't it?

I think that's a great thing.

All the best,

George

User
Posted 02 Apr 2017 at 17:30

89 DAYS TO GO

Here's the latest list of those who've confirmed they'll be at 'The Big Do' :

ALAN (Art) & CELIA

ALAN (Tiles) & SANDRA

BARRY (Man_With_Pca) & BARBARA

BARRY LEWIS

CHRIS (Exbus) & SHIRLEY

DERRICK BURNS

FRANK WRIGHT & LORAINE

GEORGE, LYNN & KATRINA

JAMES GRANT & LIZ

JANET D (jlbatty) 

KAREN NEWMAN

KEITH CASS

KEITH & CAMILLA 

LYNNE COOK

MICHAEL & CAROL MOORE

PAUL (Denzel) & JULIA 

PAUL (Yorkhull)

STEVE SMYTH (NikonSteve) 

TERRI McCOO (Casamaluca) 

TOM & LINDA

TONY (Tonypw) & ELAINE

There are about 20 places left (as of today, 2nd April).

If you haven't yet booked, or need more info, please email me at:

georgehardy51@msn.com

LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AGAIN, AND HOPEFULLY SOME NEW FOLKS TOO!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Edited by member 02 Apr 2017 at 17:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 May 2017 at 17:14

Dear Friends,

Today is 1st May, and it's time for the LAST CALL FOR THE 'PARTY AT THE MILL' on Sat 1st July.

Just 8 weeks till the 'Big Do', there are 20 places still available, and it's now time for me to get everything finalised.

If you haven't yet booked, please email me a.s.a.p. at:

georgehardy51@msn.com

I have already paid The Mill a large deposit on the 'do', but I am still waiting for confirmations/buffet payments from some folks.

Could you please (pretty please!) get these to me by Monday 15th May?

Really looking forward to seeing you all again, and for any newcomers, it's not to late to book up and join the 'crazy gang' on the day.

All the info you'll need about the function is in the posts above.

Just drop me a line. You'd be made very welcome!

All the very best,

George

User
Posted 22 Jun 2017 at 13:35

Hi All,

Here's the final line-up of guests for the annual B2PCa 'do' on Saturday 1st July 2017

ALAN (Art) & CELIA

ALAN (Tiles) & SANDRA

ANN INNES (PCUK Staff)

BARRY (Man_With_Pca) & BARBARA

BARRY LEWIS

CHRIS (Exbus) & SHIRLEY

DAVID (Auld Codger) & LYNNE

DAVID HADLEY-SMITH (Guest Speaker) & SANDRA

DERRICK BURNS

DOMINIC BATES (PCUK Staff)

FRANK WRIGHT & LORAINE

GEORGE, LYNN & KATRINA

JAMES GRANT & LIZ

JANET D (jlbatty)

KEITH CASS, MBE (Founder of The Red Sock Campaign)

KEITH & CAMILLA

LYNNE COOK

MICHAEL & CAROL MOORE

NICK WRIGHT (PCUK Staff)

PAUL (Denzel) & JULIA

PAUL (Yorkhull)

TERRI McCOO (Casamaluca)

TOM & LINDA

TONY (Tonypw) & ELAINE

Let's hope we have a glorious sunny weekend!

Wishing you all a safe journey,

Stay well my friends,

See you all at 'T'Mill' - VERY SOON,

George

User
Posted 03 Jul 2017 at 15:15

Well, that's the 10th anniversary of The Mill event over now.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Had a fabulous time meeting you all,  we had great guest speakers, some very naughty verses were read out too, food excellent as always, and the sun shone down on us, wow!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

A fabulous weekend amongst friends, what could be better?!

The next Mill event? SATURDAY 23rd JUNE 2018

THANK YOU ALL

Stay well my friends,

George

User
Posted 03 Jul 2017 at 20:21
Thanks for organising such a wonderful event for us, George, brilliant way to celebrate the 10th event. And lovely to spend time with good friends, old and new.

23rd June in the diary now for next year. Hoping to see you all again then, take care, Janet, x

User
Posted 04 Jul 2017 at 00:00

Yes, it was another great do, some excellent points raised by the PCUK people, good speeches too.

Thanks George, once again, for organising it.

Chris.

Ps, just about to add next years in the diary.

User
Posted 04 Jul 2017 at 00:58

Thanks George from Barbara and me too. Met some really nice folk and enjoyed the meeting and especially good to see you again.

Barry
User
Posted 04 Jul 2017 at 06:59

yes George,

Thank you once again,

I got up late for breakfast and missed everybody apart from Barry {Old Barry} and Barbara

Barry