I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad side effects seem to of come on quick if that's what it is

User
Posted 03 Jul 2016 at 16:35
Just wondered how anyone else first felt when they started taking Bicalucamide dad started it last Wednesday and has gone down hill quite quick, he says he aches all over and just comes over all exhausted. He's not one to give in and tries to go for a little walk and keeps active but has to give in when he comes over all funny. Just wonder if it's the tablet or cancer making him feel like this it's all happening so fast. We get the dreaded bone scan results on Tuesday. I am so worried about him.

Any comments gratefully received
Manda
User
Posted 03 Jul 2016 at 22:31
M

Sorry can not help with an answer but new messages take time to be moderated and often get missed this will bump you up the list.
Thanks Chris
User
Posted 03 Jul 2016 at 23:59

It is probably a combination of the tablets (breathlessness is a common side effect of bicalutimide and can make people feel very weak) and the stress of being diagnosed but then having to wait for results. His mind is probably working overtime, wondering what will happen to him and starting to think about the possibility of leaving you all - what will he need to get sorted out, how will everyone cope, etc. It is a natural stage for anyone diagnosed with a serious illness I think.

The aching may be down to the effect on muscles & ligaments - his body will start to feminise so the pelvic muscles relax and the ligaments spread as they would for child birth (if you have ever had a child you might remember the pelvic and back pain as your body changed shape?)

The breathlessness from the tablets tend to be worst in the first 2 weeks I think, but the fatigue and muscle loss will get worse for many men as time goes on. Other members here have reported that swimming helped a great deal with both.

Edited by member 04 Jul 2016 at 00:04  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 Jul 2016 at 07:44

Hi
Just wanted to say that the first 2 weeks of Bicalutamide 150mg knocked me for six. I could barely get out of bed. But they soon become tolerable and I think I've been lucky with side effects. But I'm very very tired a lot and over emotional.

User
Posted 04 Jul 2016 at 19:12
Hi Manda
My OH Steve was on bicalutamide for four weeks before he had his first hormone injection and to be honest they really didn't cause him any side effects that really bothered him , he's worked as normal and played cricket and generally kept active don't know if this has helped. We have also changed our diet , eating lots of fresh fruit and veg and soya products. I think the real test will come with the chemo next week. Hope your Dad feels better soon and able to cope.

Debbie x
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Jul 2016 at 22:31
M

Sorry can not help with an answer but new messages take time to be moderated and often get missed this will bump you up the list.
Thanks Chris
User
Posted 03 Jul 2016 at 23:59

It is probably a combination of the tablets (breathlessness is a common side effect of bicalutimide and can make people feel very weak) and the stress of being diagnosed but then having to wait for results. His mind is probably working overtime, wondering what will happen to him and starting to think about the possibility of leaving you all - what will he need to get sorted out, how will everyone cope, etc. It is a natural stage for anyone diagnosed with a serious illness I think.

The aching may be down to the effect on muscles & ligaments - his body will start to feminise so the pelvic muscles relax and the ligaments spread as they would for child birth (if you have ever had a child you might remember the pelvic and back pain as your body changed shape?)

The breathlessness from the tablets tend to be worst in the first 2 weeks I think, but the fatigue and muscle loss will get worse for many men as time goes on. Other members here have reported that swimming helped a great deal with both.

Edited by member 04 Jul 2016 at 00:04  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 Jul 2016 at 07:44

Hi
Just wanted to say that the first 2 weeks of Bicalutamide 150mg knocked me for six. I could barely get out of bed. But they soon become tolerable and I think I've been lucky with side effects. But I'm very very tired a lot and over emotional.

User
Posted 04 Jul 2016 at 19:12
Hi Manda
My OH Steve was on bicalutamide for four weeks before he had his first hormone injection and to be honest they really didn't cause him any side effects that really bothered him , he's worked as normal and played cricket and generally kept active don't know if this has helped. We have also changed our diet , eating lots of fresh fruit and veg and soya products. I think the real test will come with the chemo next week. Hope your Dad feels better soon and able to cope.

Debbie x