I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

seen by urologist today following raised psa

User
Posted 14 Jul 2016 at 22:22

Most concerned about what to do for the best.  New to all this.  My husband is 59 this october 2016 and had a PSA of 11 and saw the urologist today.  He seems fit and well in himself.  He asked the GP to do his PSA with his bloods as recently been feeling tired and found to have low folic acid along with raised PSA.  Was referred urgently and seen within the week at our local NHS Hospital.  The doctor said the rectal exam was normal and asked why he had a PSA done and i explained that i suggested it.  He said it was high for his age group and in the intermediate risk group.  He said that Prostate cancer can be slow growing and people can live with it rather than die with it and to try not to worry.  I got the impression he thought having a PSA test can cause more problems/anxieties than not having it. He was going to book the biopsy but i asked if he could have an MRI first and he agreed without it being a problem as i was worried if he say no.  So as it stands at the moment my husband will have the MRI and then have the biopsy.  He said that an enlarged prostate can be caused by infection, so i wonder why they don't first try to treat it as an infection first and then move on from there.  He said the biopsy can also show infection as well as cancer.  It's confusing knowing what to do for the best, but i have involved myself in trying to find out as much as i can because my husband would just go along with whatever he is told to do by the medical profession mostly, unlike me who likes to be informed. The doctor we saw was very pleasant and told us not to go away worrying about it being cancer as it might not be.  I'm wondring if the MRI comes back and all looks normal whether he would then need a biopsy as hear this can cause infection and further problems. 

Any advice gratefully received.  Many thanks.

User
Posted 15 Jul 2016 at 16:10

I would have the biopsy to find out for sure , I had a psa of 5.7 no problems only went for blood test as O/H booked me in and no signs on rectal examination but biopsy showed i had PC was about same age as your O/H. all the best Andy

User
Posted 15 Jul 2016 at 09:32

Hello anne4boots and welcome to the site.

Firstly what your urologist says is true. Prostate cancer comes in two versions. The Pussycat kind (slow growing) and the Tiger kind (aggressive)

Men can live with PC and in fact do. The knowledge that you have been diagnosed can cause some men to decide that they want it out. They may well have had the pussy cat version which might never have bothered them had they never had the PSA.

MRI first is a good idea, since if the biopsy had come first he would have had to wait for the effects from that to settle before a usable MRI could have been done, so it is in the right order.

An enlarged prostate can be the result of Benign Hyperplasia which is not cancer but without the MRI and biopsy you cannot be absolutely certain.

A PSA of 11 is high but does not automatically mean cancer so you need to rule out anything else before you worry about it.

If the MRI comes back normal it still wouldn't show that there isn't an infection like the consultant said so since a biopsy would help rule it out then maybe that's something to consider.

Did your GP check your husband for an infection before sending him off to the urologist as an emergency. Has the urologist check for infection.

Even if this is cancer there is much that can be done treatment wise these days but that is for the future.

Try not to fret too much either of you. Get your diagnosis sorted then if you still need advice ask us again. We have many members willing to give their advice on what choices they made but that is something you don't need to worry about yet. This may well not be cancer at all.

We have all been where you are now, although for us we know we have cancer. Occasionally though we do get somebody like yourself, with the situation you describe, and they have been fortunate enough to be in the non cancer camp.

We are here to listen and support you so please come back if you need us

All the best

Sandra

Edited by member 15 Jul 2016 at 09:34  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Jul 2016 at 09:35

Hello Anne,

I think choosing to have an MRI scan is a wise thing to do, considering the PSA result, it's non-invasive and it is likely to show if there is an abnormality with/within the prostate, be it cancer or otherwise.  You can then with your urologist plan the next step. I wouldn't worry unduly at this stage.

Best wishes

Flexi

User
Posted 16 Jul 2016 at 19:09

Similar to Teddy . Rectal showed no sign but blood test gave me a 6.8 . Following biopsy[uncomfortable but not painful] confirmed P C and scan confirmed a tumour which was 20% volume . After 6 mths 'watchful waiting ' P S A had risen to 8.8 , so at that stage I decided enough was enough and had the surgery [ by a robot called Barry ] which went well .Now 12 weeks down the line I,m still struggling to get dry and having had one follow up appt where P S A was 0.06 , hope that remains the case or better for my next appt in August .Must admit the incontinence is frustrating , but I'm getting there , and rather that than cancer . Couldn't have wished for better care throughout this whole episode of my life .Getting it all sorted thus far has not been as bad as I first feared ,so good luck to you both as you progress on this journey.

User
Posted 19 Jul 2016 at 12:39

I am now waiting to see the consultant .. Only confirmed with PC last week.  I think I have two choices . The seed implants or the surgery .

The thing that worries me the most about the removal of the prostate is the incontinence afterwards.

My wife and I lead fairly active and social lives and being incontinent  really worries me 

User
Posted 05 Jun 2017 at 20:04

Hi Anne I had the rectal biopsy , alright not saying it was totally painless but it was not by any means unbearable I personally would not have wanted to wait 3 months , so if I was thinking of paying for anything it would be the biopsy.to find out if he has PC. all the best Andy

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Jul 2016 at 09:32

Hello anne4boots and welcome to the site.

Firstly what your urologist says is true. Prostate cancer comes in two versions. The Pussycat kind (slow growing) and the Tiger kind (aggressive)

Men can live with PC and in fact do. The knowledge that you have been diagnosed can cause some men to decide that they want it out. They may well have had the pussy cat version which might never have bothered them had they never had the PSA.

MRI first is a good idea, since if the biopsy had come first he would have had to wait for the effects from that to settle before a usable MRI could have been done, so it is in the right order.

An enlarged prostate can be the result of Benign Hyperplasia which is not cancer but without the MRI and biopsy you cannot be absolutely certain.

A PSA of 11 is high but does not automatically mean cancer so you need to rule out anything else before you worry about it.

If the MRI comes back normal it still wouldn't show that there isn't an infection like the consultant said so since a biopsy would help rule it out then maybe that's something to consider.

Did your GP check your husband for an infection before sending him off to the urologist as an emergency. Has the urologist check for infection.

Even if this is cancer there is much that can be done treatment wise these days but that is for the future.

Try not to fret too much either of you. Get your diagnosis sorted then if you still need advice ask us again. We have many members willing to give their advice on what choices they made but that is something you don't need to worry about yet. This may well not be cancer at all.

We have all been where you are now, although for us we know we have cancer. Occasionally though we do get somebody like yourself, with the situation you describe, and they have been fortunate enough to be in the non cancer camp.

We are here to listen and support you so please come back if you need us

All the best

Sandra

Edited by member 15 Jul 2016 at 09:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Jul 2016 at 09:35

Hello Anne,

I think choosing to have an MRI scan is a wise thing to do, considering the PSA result, it's non-invasive and it is likely to show if there is an abnormality with/within the prostate, be it cancer or otherwise.  You can then with your urologist plan the next step. I wouldn't worry unduly at this stage.

Best wishes

Flexi

User
Posted 15 Jul 2016 at 16:10

I would have the biopsy to find out for sure , I had a psa of 5.7 no problems only went for blood test as O/H booked me in and no signs on rectal examination but biopsy showed i had PC was about same age as your O/H. all the best Andy

User
Posted 16 Jul 2016 at 19:09

Similar to Teddy . Rectal showed no sign but blood test gave me a 6.8 . Following biopsy[uncomfortable but not painful] confirmed P C and scan confirmed a tumour which was 20% volume . After 6 mths 'watchful waiting ' P S A had risen to 8.8 , so at that stage I decided enough was enough and had the surgery [ by a robot called Barry ] which went well .Now 12 weeks down the line I,m still struggling to get dry and having had one follow up appt where P S A was 0.06 , hope that remains the case or better for my next appt in August .Must admit the incontinence is frustrating , but I'm getting there , and rather that than cancer . Couldn't have wished for better care throughout this whole episode of my life .Getting it all sorted thus far has not been as bad as I first feared ,so good luck to you both as you progress on this journey.

User
Posted 19 Jul 2016 at 12:39

I am now waiting to see the consultant .. Only confirmed with PC last week.  I think I have two choices . The seed implants or the surgery .

The thing that worries me the most about the removal of the prostate is the incontinence afterwards.

My wife and I lead fairly active and social lives and being incontinent  really worries me 

User
Posted 19 Jul 2016 at 19:15

Hello CharlieC and welcome to the site.

There is nothing at all to stop you introducing yourself on another members topic, but just thought I'd say you would get more response perhaps if you did one for yourself.

Open up your topic and give us some details. It's not just that we are a nosy lot !! but it's helpful to have PSA and Gleason scores in order for us to give relevant advice.

You might get missed if you do it on this page. Just saying!!

IT is not a definite that you will  become incontinent with removal, the same way for other treatments. We all seem to react differently to the same treatment plans. Some recover continence quickly, some never at all.

As you are newly diagnosed there will be a lot going through your mind at present and we do all understand what that feeling is like.

Please let us know the PSA and Gleason and any MRI results if you've had one.

In the meantime,

All the best

Sandra

Edited by member 19 Jul 2016 at 19:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Jun 2017 at 22:14

Hi Everyone and thank you all for your kind replies, much appreciated. Sorry for the long delay in getting back but have also had my own health problems since posting.

Since my last posting my husband has opted for repeated 3 monthly PSA tests, they have come down from 11 to 7 but up again to 8.9 The MRI showed an area at the base of the prostrate which they rated as equivocal and would like to proceed to do a biopsy. He has been offered a rectal or template and has opted for the template biopsy with general anaesthetic as was told this is more directed and less chance of infection. They said it will be a few months before this is done due to demand, but could have a rectal sooner.

As it is over a year since the MRI was done I was wondering if we should pay privately and have another MRI done on a 3T scanner as I understand that this can give a clearer picture, but then I wonder what difference will it make if the MRI already shows there is something suspicious. He also has an enlarged prostate which is pressing on his bladder but the doctor said there is nothing 'exciting' on his scan, which is good news, but then the next doctor we saw said to relieve our anxiety and theirs it would be best to have the biopsy done. My husband says as it stands now he would prefer to have the biopsy.

Hope all is well with others. All best wishes. Anne.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2017 at 20:04

Hi Anne I had the rectal biopsy , alright not saying it was totally painless but it was not by any means unbearable I personally would not have wanted to wait 3 months , so if I was thinking of paying for anything it would be the biopsy.to find out if he has PC. all the best Andy

User
Posted 05 Jun 2017 at 23:32

Thanks Teddy. I am all over the place worrying about this but my husband seems quite calm about it although obviously he feels anxious too and wants to know one way or another. I think he must be fed up hearing me saying 'I've read this, that and the other' cos he doesn't mention it unless I do. I feel bad because it was me who first suggested he have his PSA tested as part of his check up. He rarely visits the GP and it was just a routine check up for his age and I said ask to have that done too. He tells me not to worry about that, it's not my fault etc., but I feel I am the one who started us on this merrygoround by mentioning he should have it done in the first place and might be causing him to have all these tests for no reason, as the consultant said most men will die of something else before prostate cancer kills them as it so slow growing. I'm very confused. I have got myself in a bit of a state about it all and reading lots of different things on the internet about it and what's best and what's not and now don't know whether I'm coming or going. What a mess.

What treatment did you get for the PC and are you well now. I really hope so:)

Best wishes. Anne.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 07:51

Hi Anne I had RP followed by adjuvant RT just over two years ago , I feel fit and well do have Ed problem but life is good and have undetectable PSA at last test next one July hope all goes well for your oh Andy

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 11:05

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks Teddy. I am all over the place worrying about this but my husband seems quite calm about it although obviously he feels anxious too and wants to know one way or another. I think he must be fed up hearing me saying 'I've read this, that and the other' cos he doesn't mention it unless I do. I feel bad because it was me who first suggested he have his PSA tested as part of his check up. He rarely visits the GP and it was just a routine check up for his age and I said ask to have that done too. He tells me not to worry about that, it's not my fault etc., but I feel I am the one who started us on this merrygoround by mentioning he should have it done in the first place and might be causing him to have all these tests for no reason, as the consultant said most men will die of something else before prostate cancer kills them as it so slow growing. I'm very confused. I have got myself in a bit of a state about it all and reading lots of different things on the internet about it and what's best and what's not and now don't know whether I'm coming or going. What a mess.

What treatment did you get for the PC and are you well now. I really hope so:)

Best wishes. Anne.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Anne and I wish that I for one had it but life isn't that easy is it.

OK so you started the merrygoround and at the moment, because everything is up in the air you feel guilty because if you hadn't suggested it he (and you) would be none the wiser BUT what if...... It's the what if bit isn't it.  You don't want there to be something wrong but it would justify the concern you both feel and would, in a way I suppose be a relief.  You can't turn the clock back so it's a question of living with life as it is.

As for the consultant saying that most men die of something else, well that seems to be a mantra that they all say, and it doesn't matter what area you are in.  Maybe, statistically, that's true.  We come back to the "what ifs" again though don't we.

Your husband is now on the road of investigation.  Yes he will have procedures done that might turn out to have been un-necessary, they may even be the cause of discomfort and infection.  

IF and it is an IF it is found that he has prostate cancer then it will be dealt with quickly.  All I would say is please don't do random Googling to find answers.  You may well be picking up information that isn't relevant to your current situation and scaring yourself for no reason.

Time to take a step back, take a big breath and say the journey has started.  Hope for the best but because the journey has started you are prepared for the worst.

How would you feel if a few years down the line your husband is diagnosed with cancer that could have been treated quickly and more simply than he might end up with.

You may well be saying in those circumstances "If only I had persisted earlier that he get checked out"

None of us can tell the future. We do the best we can.  Accept that you now have a bit of a journey, which may or may not end up at the right station.  Where ever the journey takes you, you are travelling together.  Worrying over what is past and regretting it is a waste of energy.

Good luck and best wishes to both of you.  Please stick to sites like this for information and it will be one less worry on your plate.

If you have real concerns and don't get answers quickly enough on here to allay them, then why not telephone one of the nurses. I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Sandra