I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The Journey Continues

User
Posted 03 Aug 2016 at 22:07
Well having had three months of hormone treatment by both tablets and PROSTRAT injections, today I have had my pre-radiotherapy CT scan to measure where they are going to 'Aim' the beam, so I am now the proud owner of four tattoo's to mark the aiming point for each treatment.

Acording to the Radiographer I should be starting radiotherapy withing four weeks so fingers crossed.

Must admit the hormone treatment is knocking me about a bit with the side affects, such as terrible hot flushes, and tiredness and I now know what PMT is all about so I will never make jokes about the female species ever again.

I can now start to see light at the end of the tunnel so hopefully things will turn out OK in early December.

Please forgive me if you think I am being a little flippant about things, but it took me several months following diagnosis to come to terms with this awful illness and have concluded that the outcome is not in my hands so I am doing my best not to get depressed by it and try to be upbeat and light hearted about my treatment,

Edited by member 04 Aug 2016 at 19:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Aug 2016 at 22:07
Well having had three months of hormone treatment by both tablets and PROSTRAT injections, today I have had my pre-radiotherapy CT scan to measure where they are going to 'Aim' the beam, so I am now the proud owner of four tattoo's to mark the aiming point for each treatment.

Acording to the Radiographer I should be starting radiotherapy withing four weeks so fingers crossed.

Must admit the hormone treatment is knocking me about a bit with the side affects, such as terrible hot flushes, and tiredness and I now know what PMT is all about so I will never make jokes about the female species ever again.

I can now start to see light at the end of the tunnel so hopefully things will turn out OK in early December.

Please forgive me if you think I am being a little flippant about things, but it took me several months following diagnosis to come to terms with this awful illness and have concluded that the outcome is not in my hands so I am doing my best not to get depressed by it and try to be upbeat and light hearted about my treatment,

Edited by member 04 Aug 2016 at 19:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Aug 2016 at 12:30
Hi,

Well you're really on your way now having had the ct scan and been tattooed up ( I only had 3). It won't be long before the RT starts and before you'll know it even that part of your treatment will be over.

Sorry for you about the side effects of the HT. I too suffer from hot flushes and night sweats, tiredness and also for me, teariness. They can get you down after a while but try wearing cool clothing, preferably with zips or buttons so you aim for a quick release of heat. One useful tip I was given was to lift the corner of your shirt to let the heat out. You can be quite discreet doing that ! I've also had acupuncture which has really helped. Does your hospital offer complementary therapies, if so it might worth investigating . I was initially reluctant to try them, but the radiographers were insistant that I did and they have been really beneficial.

Before you actually start RT , try to do as much as you can in sorting things out at home. I cut as much back in the garden as I could and finished those small tasks within the home that I'd put off doing. As much as anything it helped to take my mind off what was coming and really paid dividends for me. Being fatigued from both the HT and the RT, meant that initially everything was a real effort. In time I adapted my routine and expectations as to what I could do and not get too upset over what I couldn't. You learn to live with the s/e and now I accept that this is how it is and honestly they do not bother me as much now. I've a further year of 3 to go on HT.

It sounds like you have a good sense of humour , which I think is essential to get through this whole business of PCa. I've tried being as positive as possible and laughed at some of the horrible situations I've found myself in, especially through RT. My attitude has been and still is , how fortunate I was at being diagnosed. Given an opportunity of curative therapy. I've been saddened by the situation sometimes but never angry. There have been several low moments too, cried sometimes, but I know that this is most probably due to the HT.

Now 2 years post dx I was told last week that my Psa levels are undetectable and show as <0.1, so it's been a worthwhile experience ( so far).

I wish you well with the RT. I'm sure that you will be given advice re diet and what to expect etc. But if in doubt ask away here and many of us can give your our own advice on how to cope and especially support.

Edited by member 04 Aug 2016 at 12:31  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Aug 2016 at 12:30
Hi,

Well you're really on your way now having had the ct scan and been tattooed up ( I only had 3). It won't be long before the RT starts and before you'll know it even that part of your treatment will be over.

Sorry for you about the side effects of the HT. I too suffer from hot flushes and night sweats, tiredness and also for me, teariness. They can get you down after a while but try wearing cool clothing, preferably with zips or buttons so you aim for a quick release of heat. One useful tip I was given was to lift the corner of your shirt to let the heat out. You can be quite discreet doing that ! I've also had acupuncture which has really helped. Does your hospital offer complementary therapies, if so it might worth investigating . I was initially reluctant to try them, but the radiographers were insistant that I did and they have been really beneficial.

Before you actually start RT , try to do as much as you can in sorting things out at home. I cut as much back in the garden as I could and finished those small tasks within the home that I'd put off doing. As much as anything it helped to take my mind off what was coming and really paid dividends for me. Being fatigued from both the HT and the RT, meant that initially everything was a real effort. In time I adapted my routine and expectations as to what I could do and not get too upset over what I couldn't. You learn to live with the s/e and now I accept that this is how it is and honestly they do not bother me as much now. I've a further year of 3 to go on HT.

It sounds like you have a good sense of humour , which I think is essential to get through this whole business of PCa. I've tried being as positive as possible and laughed at some of the horrible situations I've found myself in, especially through RT. My attitude has been and still is , how fortunate I was at being diagnosed. Given an opportunity of curative therapy. I've been saddened by the situation sometimes but never angry. There have been several low moments too, cried sometimes, but I know that this is most probably due to the HT.

Now 2 years post dx I was told last week that my Psa levels are undetectable and show as <0.1, so it's been a worthwhile experience ( so far).

I wish you well with the RT. I'm sure that you will be given advice re diet and what to expect etc. But if in doubt ask away here and many of us can give your our own advice on how to cope and especially support.

Edited by member 04 Aug 2016 at 12:31  | Reason: Not specified