I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in urine ans high psa

User
Posted 07 Aug 2016 at 14:37
Hi, i have joined this forum today as i am worried about my dad. He is 80 years old but one of the fittest 80 years you could meet and never had any major health issues. A week and a half ago he noticed blood in his urine (he said it looked clotty almost like a worm) so he made a doctors appointment for the monday. The doctor took bloods and a urine test which have came back and his PSA is 8.5. The doctor told him he would areange a hospital appointment for him which has came through and it is tomorrow (7 days after seeing the doctor) i have since spoke to him in more detail about his symtoms and he has said for the last year or so he has been up 2-3 times a night urinating but never thought anything of it, he has also been up during the night with alot of wind and upset stomach , my mum told him to go to the doctors about a year ago but hes not the type of person who would never go to the doctors unless he really really needs to! His brother who is a few years younger than him was diagnosed woth prostate cancer last year but was told that it is slow growing and will probably die before the cancer kills him. The most worrying part for me is the fact his stomach is upset which sounds to me like if he does have PC it could be advanced and obviously blood in the urine sounds very worrying also. Any advice and help would be much appreciated, thanks
User
Posted 07 Aug 2016 at 19:05

Hello Kab and welcome

Firstly, there is little point in worrying at this stage because you don't know what to worry about!

I'm not being sarcastic, we have all been where you are now, but worrying and fretting get you nowhere and just tire you out.

The fact that your uncle has PC and your dad's PSA is 8.5 is indicative of Prostate cancer but until he has a biopsy and possible scan he won't know what kind.

Prostate cancer comes in two types. The pussycat type which your uncle probably has (based on the fact it's slow growing and like a lot of us has been told he'll die with it not of it).
and the
Tiger type which is aggressive. Either type will be decided after biopsy/MRI

For a start hold onto the fact that his brother has the pussycat version. His wind and upset stomach may have nothing to do with PC. In fact I don't remember anyone giving those symptoms as part of the cancer itself although it wouldn't be ruled out if treatment was underway but he isn't at that stage yet.

Blood in the urine could be as simple as an infection or Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia which is not cancer. BPH might also give a raised PSA so his problem could possibly be that rather than cancer.

As your dad is talking to you about his condition would he let you go with him to appointments (as well as your mum if she wants) only it is very easy to mis-hear or misunderstand what is being said if you are on your own.

Also, he should write down his questions so he remembers to ask them and write down the answers too.

Please try not to worry (easier said than done I know)

Your dad and mum will need you to be strong for them leading up to the testing and results.

Once you know what's what then please come back with your questions and we'll do our best to advise and answer them.

Weekends are very quiet on the site so I expect you'll get more response later.

We really do understand how you feel. We each of us are the PC patient, the wife or partner or the son or daughter who has worried just like you are now.

All the best

Sandra

Edited by member 07 Aug 2016 at 19:08  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Aug 2016 at 19:26
Thanks very much for your reply. Im just obviously very worried about the fact it could be really bad news. Allthough i do understand im worrying about something i know very little about at this moment in time and will have to wait and see what the results are. I have 10 brothers and sisters and we will be there to support him no matter what happens, i just wondered if anyone could relate to these symtoms to give me more of an idea about how bad it might be.

Thank you. Kris
User
Posted 07 Aug 2016 at 19:49

Hi Kab

PSA of 8, 2-3 times a night frequency does not in itself indicate prostate cancer. The upside is it wouldn't be uncommon for any guy aged 80 to have some prostate cancer cells that they will die with. The downside is with a family member having prostate cancer and blood in urine it increases the possibility of a higher grade type.

Been here nearly 12 years and my memory doesn't recall stomach issues as you describe being a symptom. If you go to publications (click on the icon at top of page) and select signs and symptoms it's not listed.

So yes a concern there is some health issue but at aged 80 and fit hopefully an easily fixed health issue.

Ray

Edited by member 07 Aug 2016 at 20:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Aug 2016 at 20:13
Hi Ray, thanks for your reply. I have been searching symtoms non stop since finding out about the blood in the urine and cant find much on PC affecting bowel habbits, this makes me worry it could be some sort of other cancer. Just when he got the high PSA reading and with his brother having PC it made me think its most likely to be prostate cancer. Will just need to wait and see how he gets on at the hospital and hope for the best.

Thank you. Kris

Edited by member 08 Aug 2016 at 09:53  | Reason: Not specified