I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hemorrhoids flare up during RT

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 12:59
I was diagnosed with PC Gleason score 6 about 2 months ago. Cancer is confined to the gland hence oncologist decided on RT - total 38 fr. I have today completed 20. I have been suffering from hemorrhoids & anal fissures for past 30 years but both have been controlled with proper diet & exercise. However, 3 weeks into RT my hemorrhoids (piles) has flared up and passing stools has become very painful. I have been given some ointment and advised Sitz bath. However this has not given much relief. Has anyone had similar problem and can suggest solution?
User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 13:19

Hello pantald and welcome to the site

I can't really help with your problem except to say that here in England a GP would be likely to prescribe Fybogel which is ispagula husk and helps to keep the motion soft and easier to pass.

My husband also suffers from fissures and has done for many years. He finds that keeping his stools soft (not fluid since that will cause skin problems around the anus) takes the pressure from the fissures. Sometimes if there is a flare up he will resort to prescribed ointment but at the same time if the particular ointment doesn't help he has to change to a different one.

Have you tried ice packs around the area (well covered of course). It might ease the discomfort.

I'm sure other members who have gone the RT route will be along to advise you.

All the best

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 13:28
Hi and welcome from me too,

When I had RT I was prescribed both normacol and loperamide which really helped me avoid uncomfortable situations. In fact 18 months post RT I am still prescribed these as I have continuing rectal bleeding and am being referred for radiation proctitis. I'm not sure if the above meds would help your situation or not but it may be worth discussing at your next review.

John

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 22:25

Whenever I have had a pile and it started to hurt I have put sudocreme on it and then talc to stop any more rubbing.

It also helped me to not walk like John Wayne and took away the soreness.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful.

Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 13:19

Hello pantald and welcome to the site

I can't really help with your problem except to say that here in England a GP would be likely to prescribe Fybogel which is ispagula husk and helps to keep the motion soft and easier to pass.

My husband also suffers from fissures and has done for many years. He finds that keeping his stools soft (not fluid since that will cause skin problems around the anus) takes the pressure from the fissures. Sometimes if there is a flare up he will resort to prescribed ointment but at the same time if the particular ointment doesn't help he has to change to a different one.

Have you tried ice packs around the area (well covered of course). It might ease the discomfort.

I'm sure other members who have gone the RT route will be along to advise you.

All the best

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 13:28
Hi and welcome from me too,

When I had RT I was prescribed both normacol and loperamide which really helped me avoid uncomfortable situations. In fact 18 months post RT I am still prescribed these as I have continuing rectal bleeding and am being referred for radiation proctitis. I'm not sure if the above meds would help your situation or not but it may be worth discussing at your next review.

John

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 13:43
Thanks all. Is hemorrhoids flare up during RT normal? Does it subside once RT is over?
User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 15:25

Hi All,

I believe it is unusual; and not a direct result of RT.

I suffered haemerroids during my RT, with significant bleeding (fortunately only when going to the loo)

I had not suffered from them before but I am fairly sure that they already were in situ, so to speak and the reason why erupted into prominence  was solely due to my over-enthusiastic take-up of the bowl-emptying regime.

It was quite worrying at the time, you look in the pan and start thinking in terms of litres of blood but in reality it's much less and easily staunched

You automatically imagine that the bleeding is caused by the RT so while it's always worth investigating, it's a relief to know that it's not.

Update.

The problem with the piles persisted on and off. The GPs attitude was that it was something that I would have to live with. However, I subsequently mentioned it to my oncologist and he referred me for a colonoscopy as he suspected it might be radiation proctitis.

Good result, the consultant offered to 'band' the piles on the spot and he proceeded with excellent results although he warned that they can only band a couple at a time and I am now awaiting a return visit.

As a bonus (?) I got to have the colonoscopy, which,

(a) Confirmed the presence of haemorrhoids

(b) Confirmed traces of radiation proctitis (which seems to come with the territory and not something that I should be unduly concerned about)

(c) No evidence of colon cancer (there was never any reason to think this was likely but it's nice to be able to tick something else off the list.)

So my opinion for what it's worth is that folk shouldn't be put off of RT as this is not a normal side-effect of the treatment.

Dave

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 16:36
Thanks Dave for the reassuring response
User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 20:19
I had a really painful fissure.

Only way to cure it was Anusol suppository x 2 at a time covered in Anusol Cream.

Stool softener tablets.

Loads of fruit and veg in diet ( restricting bread to once per day).

Drink loads of water.

Continue doing this even after you think symptoms have cleared ( at least a week probably 2).

Of course this did not involve the complications of RT.

I hope things go well for you.

Alison

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 22:25

Whenever I have had a pile and it started to hurt I have put sudocreme on it and then talc to stop any more rubbing.

It also helped me to not walk like John Wayne and took away the soreness.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful.

Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 10 Aug 2016 at 17:08
Since haemorrhoids are giving me awful pain I spoke to my onco today to find out if I could get them treated immediately after completion of RT. He told me that no procedure can be done for six months after the treatment ends. This would mean that I will have to endure this pain for six long months. Does anyone have any experience regarding this? I have to get my eye cataract operation also done. Will I have to wait six months for that also? Would be grateful to have your views.