I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy has started

User
Posted 23 Aug 2016 at 21:14
Had my first Radiotherapy session today and was amazed how smoothly everything went.

Having had a period on hormone tablets and also a series of hormone injections (The fourth this afternoon), I was, I must admit a little nervous, but the staff at Treliske were absolutely marvelous and explained in great detail what they were doing and how long the process would take.

The actual treatment only took 12 minutes plus the time to set me up on the table.

If anyone feels as nervious about the treatment as I initially did I can assure them there is nothing to worry about at all, its simple, painless and doesn't take long.

Only thing I have noticed since this morning is that I am somewhat tired, even though it was only the first session...???

Has anyone else experienced this by any chance...??

Now another 36 sessions to go and hopefully I will have a good result.

I will keep you all up dated on the treatment and any side affects I may encounter so that anyome undergoing the same treatment can be aware of what may happen and we can swap notes.....lol

All the best wishes to everyone undergoing treatment for this awfull blight on our lives......

Edited by member 24 Aug 2016 at 08:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Aug 2016 at 17:33

Harley,
Thank you. Likewise, Andrew.
I have been doing research over the weekend, into comparisons of the two routes, and I believe that I will choose the hormone/radiotherapy, like you, for similar reasons.
I have a bone scan on Wednesday (Sept 1) and will see the urology consultant on Sept 14th so still some time for me to chew it over. The consultant is a surgeon (maybe they all are?) and I suspect he is itching to get the knife out, but I hope he will give some balanced advice, then I will talk to the radiotherapist (oncologist).

Best wishes
Paul

User
Posted 23 Aug 2016 at 21:14
Had my first Radiotherapy session today and was amazed how smoothly everything went.

Having had a period on hormone tablets and also a series of hormone injections (The fourth this afternoon), I was, I must admit a little nervous, but the staff at Treliske were absolutely marvelous and explained in great detail what they were doing and how long the process would take.

The actual treatment only took 12 minutes plus the time to set me up on the table.

If anyone feels as nervious about the treatment as I initially did I can assure them there is nothing to worry about at all, its simple, painless and doesn't take long.

Only thing I have noticed since this morning is that I am somewhat tired, even though it was only the first session...???

Has anyone else experienced this by any chance...??

Now another 36 sessions to go and hopefully I will have a good result.

I will keep you all up dated on the treatment and any side affects I may encounter so that anyome undergoing the same treatment can be aware of what may happen and we can swap notes.....lol

All the best wishes to everyone undergoing treatment for this awfull blight on our lives......

Edited by member 24 Aug 2016 at 08:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 07:55
HR

I can't answer you question on being tired but just want to wish you luck with your treatment.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 15:33

The HT made me prematurely tired and this was made worse during RT. However, I had no more HT after RT ended and I gradually regained stamina over the subsequent months. As RT continues to damage cells for up to about two years after is is ended, the body struggles to repair itself over this time so lessening effects are to be expected. Naturally, a younger and fitted man is likely to be less affected than and an older and less fit man.

Barry
User
Posted 27 Aug 2016 at 12:11

Hello Harley,

I have just been diagnosed, and I have to choose in the next three weeks or so whether to have surgery, or radiotherapy plus hormones. I am interested that you chose the radiotherapy route - would you mind telling me your reasons for this choice?
For me, the incontinence after surgery bothers me but so does the side effects of the other route.

If you prefer to keep this private, that's fine, or try a Private Message.
Thanks
Paul

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 07:55
HR

I can't answer you question on being tired but just want to wish you luck with your treatment.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 08:48

Glad your first session went well HR.

The tiredness perhaps caused by the worrying and anticipating what it was going to be like.
Stress, even mild stress, can be debilitating

Good luck for the rest of them

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 15:33

The HT made me prematurely tired and this was made worse during RT. However, I had no more HT after RT ended and I gradually regained stamina over the subsequent months. As RT continues to damage cells for up to about two years after is is ended, the body struggles to repair itself over this time so lessening effects are to be expected. Naturally, a younger and fitted man is likely to be less affected than and an older and less fit man.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 16:15

Thanks for your support Barry and Andrew, it's much appreciated.

I have had my second radiotherapy session today and again it all went very smoothly and seemed to be over in no time.
Now 4 hours later I am feeling quite tired and seem to have a bit of a 'funny' feeling between my hip joints, not sure if it is associated with the treatment but its around the area that has been 'Beamed' with radiation, we shall have to monitor it and see.

As Barry suggested I am trying to do something every day to not only take my mind off the treatment but to keep me active and try to keep fitness levels up - Hopefully this will work.

Well 35 more sessions to go -- Onwards and upwards, roll on 14th October.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 20:28
Just two questions please as I have planned my RT at end of September:

Did you have a prostatectomy first?

Are you working during your RT?

Thank You

Sebastien

User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 20:41

Fantastic.....

I'll keep an eye on your posts to see how you are doing......My 37 sessions will start in September (I will see my Onco next week to discuss the whole thing).

It looks like the RT prep procedures varies a bit between hospitals....can you get into a bit more details on yours?

1. Did they give you a tattoo?

2. Where is the tattoo location?

3. Did you have to get naked for the whole procedure? Or they allow you to cover yourself a bit?

4. Did they give you a specific diet to follow?

Regards

User
Posted 24 Aug 2016 at 21:23

Hi Bill, there are usually 4 or 6 tattoos - but they are like tiny biro spots to help the RT team line you up on the machine. We couldn't even find John's after a week or so but he is quite hairy - the RT staff know where to look, of course. John's were on his hips and each side of his belly button.

John got naked and had to put on one of those hospital wrap gowns each morning - it was then unwrapped when he got on the trolley.

He had to have a low fibre diet but some men have to have a high fibre diet instead. It depends where your bowel sits in relation to the area that needs zapping and whether they need it to be flattened away from the rays or lifted up away from the rays. It was absolutely forbidden to drink alcohol or anything fizzy :-( 

Edited by member 25 Aug 2016 at 00:58  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Aug 2016 at 14:45

Thanks Lyn and Andrew

The idea of me getting butt naked in front of a bunch of strangers is a NO GO! 

I'll take a big towel with me to cover all the necessary bits and bobs....

Regards

User
Posted 25 Aug 2016 at 15:52
Where I had RT they asked us lower our pants a little and they tucked a paper towel just inside. Sometimes they asked us to wear a gown for quickness.

I didn't need a big towel to cover my bits!

Arthur

User
Posted 25 Aug 2016 at 18:39
My experience was the same as Arthur.Walk in shoes off, trousers off, hop on bed, lower top of pants to uncover centre tattoo and away we went. No stripping off and no gowns

User
Posted 25 Aug 2016 at 21:20
Hi Sebastian....

No I didn't have surgery, after much discussion with both the Oncology consultants and the good people on this forum, I decided against it, and I am glad I did.

Having chosen the Radiotherapy option it gives a better chance of not suffering as many side effects and so for all I am suffering is tiredness.

I had my 3rd session today, which did seem a little longer than the previous 2 and it has made me very tired, in fact driving home my arms started to feel like lead and when I got home I had to have a sleep, but saying that I now feel quite refreshed and ba k to normal.

Fortunately I have recently retired so work doesn't get in the way of the treatment fortunately.

I hope your RT goes well and don't worry if you get tired as this seems to be the common side effect that gets most people to a greater or lesser degree.

All the best

Harley Rider

User
Posted 25 Aug 2016 at 21:38
Hi Bill.......

Thanks for getting in touch.

The procedure is very simple and completely painless.

When you have your pre-treatment assessment they do a CT scan of your pelvic region, take various measurements, such as hip hight, and hip width, then when that is all done they give you a vary small tatoo in 4 places, one on top of each hip, one just above your navel and the fourth one just above the top of the penis (However that was done to me with the position of where the cancer cells are in my prostrate, it may vary for different people).

You dont get totally undresed, you have to take off your trousers and shoes and that is all, they pull up your shirt to about mid chest when you are on the table and ask you to slide down your pants slightly, but they cover you with a paper towel during the proceedure to protect your modesty so there is nothing to worry about - mind you if you consider what this treatment is for why would it be a problem if you had to remove all clothing..??

When you start your treatment sessions the proceedure is exactly the same, they will do a CT scan for the first 3-5 days to ensure all the measurements are correct but after this you only have a CT about every 2 weeks.

The session takes approximately 12-20 minutes, most of the time is taken setting you up in the correct position to match the tattoos to the beam.

I hope your treatment goes well for you, but if you want any more info or just need to chat to someone going through the same thing just message me.

Harley Rider

Edited by member 25 Aug 2016 at 21:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Aug 2016 at 21:46

Bill
I forgot that you asked about diet.
I have been told to stop having coffee, spicy foods, garlic, brown bread and any food with high fibre in it, and fizzy drinks, I am having to drink at least 2 litres of still water a day, this is to ensure your bladder is in the correct position during treatment and to make sure you are well hydrated, which is most important.

Harley

User
Posted 27 Aug 2016 at 12:11

Hello Harley,

I have just been diagnosed, and I have to choose in the next three weeks or so whether to have surgery, or radiotherapy plus hormones. I am interested that you chose the radiotherapy route - would you mind telling me your reasons for this choice?
For me, the incontinence after surgery bothers me but so does the side effects of the other route.

If you prefer to keep this private, that's fine, or try a Private Message.
Thanks
Paul

User
Posted 27 Aug 2016 at 13:22
Hi Paul.....

Before I decided on which treatment to have I did hours of research on each individual treatment.

After making several 'for and against' lists and several discussions with both my consultant and also my wife (who it will affect as mush as me) I went down the Radiotherapy road.

My rational behind my decision was that although the treatment programe is far longer than the surgical or Brachotherapy one, the possible side affects seemed not only less but less severe if you were unfortunate to get any.

And like you I had concerns about the incontinence, so following a discussion with the consultant, he suggested as I was generally pretty fit and not a great age (65, I know some would call that ancient😕) if I should suffer damage that caused incontenence I would have to put up with it for many years (Hopefully) so he would not recommend it.

Before my radiotherapy could begin I had to have three weeks of hormone tablets on a daily basis and also have been having monthly hormone injections (Prostrat).

The hormones, I have to say make me quite tired and initially gave me headaches about an hour after each injection but these have now stopped, the only other problems they gave me was quite severe flatulence, which again has disappeared as time has gone on and a little 'PMT' (according to the wife anyway), this is a bit hit and miss, sometimes I get it, some times I don't.

The actual RT I started last Tuesday, so have now had 4 sessions.

The first couple did not have much affect at all but from the third one started to make me very tired and when I got home had to have a lie down for a couple of hours, as I did yesterday after the fouth.

However this morning I have not been anywhere near as tired or worn out as I was yesterday so hopefully I am now getting used to the treatement.

I f I can help you with anything else you have concerns with just let me know, I am quite happy to pass on anything I learn about RT as my treatment goes on.

Hope this has been a help to you to make your decision, but remember, it has to be YOUR decision based on what you feel comfortable with.

All the best

Harley

Edited by member 27 Aug 2016 at 13:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Aug 2016 at 17:33

Harley,
Thank you. Likewise, Andrew.
I have been doing research over the weekend, into comparisons of the two routes, and I believe that I will choose the hormone/radiotherapy, like you, for similar reasons.
I have a bone scan on Wednesday (Sept 1) and will see the urology consultant on Sept 14th so still some time for me to chew it over. The consultant is a surgeon (maybe they all are?) and I suspect he is itching to get the knife out, but I hope he will give some balanced advice, then I will talk to the radiotherapist (oncologist).

Best wishes
Paul

User
Posted 01 Sep 2016 at 11:17
Hi Paul,

RT wasn't an option for me. The cancer was too big (80% of the prostate), PSA 4.65 and Gleason 9. Age 40.

The urology team said RP was the best option as I am only 40 and from MRI/Bone Scan, it was a locally advanced cancer.

I was also told that I would have RT afterwards to kill the microscopic cancer cells if the margins were not clear.

Also they told me that RT would be an option afterwards, but RP cannot be an option after RT.

I had a second opinion in Paris as we wanted to choose the best option, where they told me the same thing.

My stepdad and a friend also chose RP, they were 56-60 when diagnosed, with PSA below 5 and Gleason 7.

Also, one of my friend's dad, a GP, insisted to have RP even though he was told it wasn't the best options...

But like me, he wanted to remove as much as possible.

Regarding side effects, my stepdad doesn't have any leaks except when sneezing and coughing, but it's almost nothing. As for the others, I don't know.

I am on 1 pad/day only, which I was told it is really good.

I had my RP and the biopsy of the prostate showed that the margins were not clear. So it is advised I do RT to clean the microscopic cancer cells.

Best wishes,

Sebastien

User
Posted 01 Sep 2016 at 12:03

Just a small clarification on a comment Sebastian made. The already intricate operation to remove a prostate that has not been treated with RT becomes even more difficult if it is done after RT due to the damage caused by the photons. There are a few surgeons who will do this but not many. One of our members, sadly now departed, had this done. So as a generalization what Sebastian said was correct with rare exceptions.

Barry
User
Posted 01 Sep 2016 at 17:28
Hi Man-with-PC

I was told that if I had RT, then the surgery road was closed as the operation would be almost impossible, due to as you say damage to the prostrate itself and surrounding tissue.

With the discussions I have had with people I am really glad I went down the RT route and so far after day 7 of treatment have no regrets whatsoever - Time will tell...!!!

The only side affect I have suffered so far is the tiredness which varies from day to day.

Al the best to everyone and remember - Keep positive and fight, you will beat it in the end....!!

Harley