Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone injections....

User
Posted 31 Aug 2016 at 08:12

Hello everyone

I've been on Zoladex after Radical Radiotherapy in 2009 for a couple of years between 2010/2012 then had a break as my PSA fell to 0.1.

My PSA then rose after a couple of years to 11 ( it started to double every time towards the end ) after which I had re-scans and went back on to the dreaded injections but monthly ones this time...Leuroprolin and not Zoladex as before....

I started these in October 2015 and after a phone conversation with my Oncologist this Spring I asked him if I could come off them as I was not tolerating them yet again....

My PSA had fallen from 11 to 0.1 then to it's lowest ever 0.05.....he reluctantly let me come off the injections in March/April this year but told me my PSA would now rise again.

It's now 0.9 and after seeing him again yesterday he has agreed to leave me off the injections, see how quickly it rises this time and then re-start the injections at about 5.

He tells me that he is happy to do this....it will rise and that intermittent Hormone Treatment will work for now but it ceases to have effect after 3/4 years....

I am not aware of any other treatment after this...does anyone else know what treatment is possible after Hormone treatment stops controlling Prostate Cancer ?

I had Radical Radiotherapy in 2009 after initial PSA reading of 67 then 81....

Has anyone had experience of Hormone injections not controlling PC after a while ?

Any thoughts anyone ?

Thanks for reading this and hope someone has some ideas & thoughts.

Dave

User
Posted 31 Aug 2016 at 10:28

It is what is known as becoming hormone-refractory and happens to everyone eventually on long term HT.

Basically, the cancer learns how to survive without testosterone, at which point there is no point taking meds to stop the testosterone being made. There are other options after this stage, and new drugs are being tested all the time. Hopefully you will have a good few years before you get to that point - members on here like George, Top Gun, Ray and others have seen 10 years or more with careful use of IHT - the trick is careful monitoring and anticipating when to go back on the hormones.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Aug 2016 at 11:50

hi dayo
I spoke with a urologist in july re HT and when it fails, he told me not to panic as their are lots more tablets they can give once this happens
obviously the HT is the best but we all realise that at some point it will stop being effective

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'