I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RT results timetable

User
Posted 05 Sep 2016 at 19:35

Just had the CT scan, and start RT Sept 26 for 7 weeks.

Assuming all goes well, how long after, and how do they assess the effectiveness of the treatment.  Something I havnt been told about.

thanks, toad.

User
Posted 05 Sep 2016 at 20:46

Ooops - sorry. Just seen that you are on HT so effectiveness will be judged on what happens to your PSA after the hormones finish ... you would expect PSA to rise as the HT gets out of your system but to then settle down.

Because RT delivers its killer blows for up to 18 months after the last zapping, you may not get to nadir until 1 1/2 - 2 years later.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 05 Sep 2016 at 20:41

The PSA can rise soon after RT as it objects to being frazzled so some oncos won't PSA test until 6 months after finish. John was having his done every 3 months anyway so I think first PSA was a couple of weeks after.

In terms of effectiveness, they will observe your PSA for a couple of years - if it stays around or below 0.2 then they will judge that it was effective. Then it is about getting to the 5 year mark and official remission comes if you stay steady to 10 year mark.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Sep 2016 at 20:41

The PSA can rise soon after RT as it objects to being frazzled so some oncos won't PSA test until 6 months after finish. John was having his done every 3 months anyway so I think first PSA was a couple of weeks after.

In terms of effectiveness, they will observe your PSA for a couple of years - if it stays around or below 0.2 then they will judge that it was effective. Then it is about getting to the 5 year mark and official remission comes if you stay steady to 10 year mark.

User
Posted 05 Sep 2016 at 20:46

Ooops - sorry. Just seen that you are on HT so effectiveness will be judged on what happens to your PSA after the hormones finish ... you would expect PSA to rise as the HT gets out of your system but to then settle down.

Because RT delivers its killer blows for up to 18 months after the last zapping, you may not get to nadir until 1 1/2 - 2 years later.

User
Posted 06 Sep 2016 at 08:28

Thought it would have been sooner, so after treatment I have to wait years to see if it works. I guess if I get to wait years, it's worked well enough 😁. Thanks Lyn.

Edited by member 06 Sep 2016 at 08:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Sep 2016 at 12:38
Hi Toad,

We may not all be the same but have a look at my profile to see my timeline

Arthur
User
Posted 07 Sep 2016 at 09:35

It's the HT that complicates it: barring problems, there's no way to be sure whether the RT has done its magic, or HT is damping down, until the HT is over (and over means several months after the final injection).

For the moment, it's fingers crossed, and no news is good news. I'm in a similar boat, but 18 months downstream ....