Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

referred for biopsy.

User
Posted 11 Sep 2016 at 15:56
Hi, first time post.

3 months ago my gp noticed a PSA of 6.1 and gave me some tablets which reduced that to 5.0 I was referred to Urology and had a DRE which showed the prostate to be smooth but firm. I've now been scheduled for a biopsy in a month or so. I have no urinary symptoms associated with PC but can't help myself worrying about things. I'm 55 and a pro drummer. Most things I've read suggest that 5.0 is low and that having no symptoms is favourable but I'm new to this and would appreciate any help or insight if anyone has any similar experience. Thank you.

Gordon.

User
Posted 11 Sep 2016 at 19:23

Hi Gordon
This can be a bit of a long ordeal but you need to take each step at a time and not think the worst. I'm only 49 now and a PSA of 4 then 6 then 4 was ignored. Click my profile and read my story. It's not good reading but shows that these things should never be ignored , and tackled assp. I had zero urinary symptoms whatsoever , but if I'm honest was struggling with mild ED and a drastic change in ejaculation over a year or so. Generally speaking a PSA over 2 for a man your age is high , but mine was 15 when flagged and rise to 42 before my op. However some people on here have had much higher or lower PSA but been blighted with the disease. What is most important is the rate of change of PSA. That tends to be a better indicator. It sounds like you have had antibiotics and that they have helped. This can be a good sign. Hope the biopsy goes well and please stay in touch. I'm the world's biggest worrier , but try not to worry. It genuinely does not help one iota.
Take care
Chris

User
Posted 11 Sep 2016 at 19:52

Evening Gordon and welcome

My husband's (aged 72) PSA started at 5.9 rising to 6.3 and he too had virtually no symptoms apart from mild ED which we had put down to age.

Your GP is very much on the ball so be grateful for his interest, because IF you have Prostate cancer with no symptoms you wouldn't possibly know about it until it was much further advanced.

Once the biopsy is done and reviewed you'll have a much clearer picture of what's what. Panicking is easy at this stage, the worst case scenarios are bound to run through your mind and we do all understand that feeling.

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done) It causes a lot of stress and you need your energy.

Treatments these days are improving all the time.

My husband was initially on Active Surveillance which is where there is no treatment just regular checks and a yearly biopsy to keep up to date with any changes. He was on that for a year.

We are a very good support group. After all, we all know what it feels like to be diagnosed, whether we are the patient or a patient's partner.

All the best

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 Sep 2016 at 22:34
Thanks Chris, I only joined this forum today and already glad I did.
User
Posted 11 Sep 2016 at 22:40
Thanks Sandra, much appreciated. Glad I joined this group.

Gordon.

User
Posted 11 Sep 2016 at 22:51
Hi Gordon,

Take one day at a time and when you get your biopsy results post on here and add to your profile. The people who post here are really knowledgeable having been on their own PCa journey and tremendously supportive.

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 11 Sep 2016 at 22:57
Thanks Arthur, will do.
User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 10:15

I had a similar experience, and an equally sensible GP.

The biopsy is a necessary next step, and that will make everything clearer, one way or t'other.

I'm still here, with PCa: but others will have had the biopsy and got the all clear. The waiting won't be easy, but there's no shortcuts in this game!

User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 10:39
Thanks for your reply Andrew. What sort of treatment do you have?

Gordon.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2016 at 08:21

Hi Gordon,

It is very stressful having a biopsy, but you are doing the right thing. If it is PCa the earlier you know the better. You still have a good chance of it not being PCa though so I hope things turn out well for you.

Mark

User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 11:46
Thanks for the message Mark. Unfortunately the biopsy showed PC at an early stage. Next step is the MRI on Sunday. Gordon.
User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 11:55
Hi Gordon

I didn't have the usual symptoms (eg frequent need to pee or pain doing it). In fact I am the opposite _ my bladder stretched and didn't ever empty properly so I've had to do self catheterisation for over 10 years. It's no problem at all.

Three years ago when my PSA rose to nearly 8 I was sent for a biopsy and the result was just high enough to warrant treatment. I chose RT. I understand your anxiety however it's actually much better that you get detected and treated ASAP rather than discover much later when treatment might have to be more radical and less effective. Good luck Adrian

User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 12:12
Thanks Adrian. Depending on the MRI, there have been 3 options mentioned which are removal, radiotherapy and one other which I've forgotten the name of. In general though, the message from the fantastic staff at Gartnavel in Glasgow is like you said, the earlier the better.
User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 13:19
As regards the biopsy I was anxious but it wasn't too bad. (I told my brother that 2 girls dressed as nurses took me to a room without windows and put an electronic device in me. He was quite envious.)
User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 14:50
Gordon,

You are in a similar place to where I was 2 years ago. Please feel free to check out my profile. Good luck.

Paul

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 15:44
That's great to hear things are going well Paul. Long may that continue. The advice I've had so far is that all three treatment options are equally effective but it's all been so quick since I the PSA test April this year.
User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 16:12

Hi Gordon

This is probably a little out of date as typed this up the other day. Just on PC to post.   Firstly all the best.

My timeline was : + see my profile .  

I had an MRI 10 days before biopsy  (however not sure the 'definition/resolution'  of the machine used in 2014).  My brother who lives in Australia was scanned using a 3T MRI - Multiparametric last December and was given 2 pages of output  coding Lesions using PI-RAD (1 to 5)  He decided to sit on that, following advice from his GP, his first biospy was last month.  PSA 3.57  - dx unfortunately Gleason 4 +3 .   He is 69.  

I have at this stage (as didn't know about this forum and only just started to understand a little more; as obviously hoping to help and advise brother re. his next decision) no idea what type of machine scanned me and what exactly was found.    

My biopsy was followed about 1 month later by a CT and Bone Scan.    Then referred to MDT  (ie The Team) who obviously discuss and 'chew over' each individual case.    You can only cross a bridge as you come to it, as I always say to the 'kids', so you will soon have results.

Gleason 6 is most probably the hardest of all to decide for numerous reasons. I had to do something, AS was not an option for me.  Me and my brother have/had Gleason 4 + 3, although mine was downgraded to 3 + 4 post RP.  Unfortunately statistically they go the other way it seems.  I do ask too many questions when I  see my consultant. ie mathematically they could have found more tumour and the primary type was Grade  3.    The most important result for me  is 0.01 PSA for 18+ mths now. 

All the best - (I must update info about my brother as he has been offered FLA- Focal Laser Ablation for tumour destruction in situ  - so I need to know more about that).    My brother lives in Australia, and has Insurance funded medicare, however I need to find out more about FLA and how his subsequent PSA levels will then monitored and interpreted.      I've just seen your profile and 3 + 4.   Have you got the core analysis, T staging and % yet ?     Finally,  I was very fortunate, I decided on RP, had catheter in 7 days and completely dry** within less than 24 hours   (** only few drops for about 1 week if I got up from chair quickly).    

Gordon

Edited by member 15 Nov 2016 at 16:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 16:57
I was also given the 3 options (the other was implant of radio active seeds). I opted for RT which is painless and doesn't involve any cutting. (MRSA was a worry back then). Attending the 37 sessions meant regularly meeting others with the same condition in the waiting areas. So we immediately became a little support group.
User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 17:02
The support on here is so encouraging. Thanks again.
User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 09:01

Things have certainly moved on in the last few months. I've had RARP four days ago and am now back home. My surgeon said everything went well and he'll see me in 6 weeks for follow up pathology results. I fear it'll be a long 6 weeks not knowing/over thinking. Any help or advice most welcome. I've updated my profile with the latest details. Best wishes to everyone on here. Gordon.

Edited by member 12 May 2017 at 09:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 09:46

Hi Gordon

You may want to remove the name of the surgeon before the moderators do so - we have a no name policy on here.

I had my RARP in March, and had my follow up with the consultant yesterday. I have been one of the lucky ones. They caught it at the right time and the results are as good as can be expected re the cancer - clear margins, all contained within the prostate, and PSA around 0.

After the op I just tried to get back to normal as quickly as possible. The first week I obviously took it easy with the catheter, but as soon as it was removed I started to move around and probably did things that my consultant and nurses would have been mightily concerned about :)

PFEs are essential to getting the continence on track. This area seems to be a real roll of the dice for most men, but like you I didn't have any urinary issues beforehand, and that may help post-op. I was dry overnight almost immediately, and I get a slight dribble very occasionally, but nothing to worry about, and there are the "phantom" spurts.

I was prescribed Sildenafil for first 28 days - unfortunately no sign of life there. I will get a referral for the ED clinic but there is a long waiting list in East Kent. The consultant has prescribed further 50mg Sildenafil with a once per week 100mg. He has also given me the all-clear to ride my bike, although I was playing tennis after 3 weeks, it was more the issue with the bike saddle and its possible effects.

Good luck with your recovery.
Chris

User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 09:57
Thanks Chris,

I've edited the original post. Great to hear you're doing well and thanks for the advice. I feel I can only really focus on hoping for clear margins at the moment but I need to think about continence too.

Gordon.

User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 09:58
Hi Gordon

Try to take things steady so although you don't want to be just sitting around don't do too much too soon. You know your body so listen to what it tells you. All the swelling will gradually reduce but you may have discomfort in your groin area for a few weeks. Try to focus on the things you enjoy doing and don't worry about the results of the biopsy as there is nothing you can do about that as there are basically two outcomes - all looks good or we may need to consider doing something else. Either outcome is manageable so no point wasting today worrying about tomorrow. I am envious of you being a drummer I wish I had the ability to play them as they are what holds most music together. Be kind to yourself and I hope everything goes well.

Kevan

User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 10:31

Hi Kevan,

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I probably over think most things in my life - part and parcel of being a drummer:) How are things with you now? I just read your profile. Gw

User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 17:51
Hello again Gordon

In response to your enquiry I am feeling pretty good but a bit frustrated at not being allowed to do too much for another 2 weeks as a result of hernia op.

As far as PCA is concerned I am not experiencing any side effects from the HT as yet so long may it continue. I am still out and about driving minibuses for the school and thoroughly enjoying myself.

Perhaps the reason I would be rubbish as a drummer is that maybe I under think things but I like to keep life simple.

Please remember that no matter how well you feel don't do too much too soon and run the risk of undoing some of the good work the medics have done

All the best with the catheter removal. It doesn't hurt just feels a bit weird.

All the very best

User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 18:56
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I was prescribed Sildenafil for first 28 days - unfortunately no sign of life there. I will get a referral for the ED clinic but there is a long waiting list in East Kent. The consultant has prescribed further 50mg Sildenafil with a once per week 100mg. He has also given me the all-clear to ride my bike, although I was playing tennis after 3 weeks, it was more the issue with the bike saddle and its possible effects.

Good luck with your recovery.
Chris

I am surprised by your onco's advice on two levels - 1) unless something has been published recently there is little research to support the idea that daily sildenafil assists with nerve repair / recovery of erections and 2) giving you the okay to get on your bike. What was his view about the risk that cycling would inhibit nerve repair? It would be a shame if you ended up with long term ED and looked back regretting the impatience to get back on a bike. John was and is a keen cyclist so he found the 6 month break very frustrating at the time but since he did recover erectile function the 6 months seems a short time in relation to the rest of our life. It also seems a bit counterintuitive to on the one hand be taking tablets to prevent ED while engaging in a pastime which may make long term ED more likely?

Edited by member 12 May 2017 at 20:21  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 May 2017 at 20:32

Brilliant Kevan,

Great to hear your news:)

Gordon.

User
Posted 13 May 2017 at 19:07
Hi Gordon,

I just had RARP earlier this week and I've been reading through some posts and bio's from a few months back. Reading through yours and it's great to hear your PSA is so low and you're doing well. All the best to you.

Gordon