Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Humour - Be Careful

User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 17:29

Hi,

Humour can be as good as any medicine at making you feel better but sometimes the outcome can be different.

Three months before being diagnosed, two years ago, I can remember telling someone at my son's wedding that "If I died tomorrow, I'd be perfectly content with what I'd done in my lifetime".

I was probably slightly drunk at the time but of course it wasn't long after that I found out the bad news about my diagnosis. I remember leaving the hospital, after being told, looking up at the sky and saying to God that I had only been joking and I wasn't quite ready to go yet. Could I have a few more years?

Once my treatment started, I started to try and make light of it with friends and work colleagues saying "If I suddenly died of a heart attack, it would really bu**er up my cancer treatment plan!" My OH heard me say this to someone and told me not to joke about things like that as you can cause things to happen.

Just my luck, a couple of months later, I had a heart attack and you can imagine who was to blame, so I was told not to tempt fate again.

Having said that, on my various admissions into the cardiac ward, they usually asked me if I was diabetic.  I would always reply "Not Yet" which would usually raise a smile but the news I received last week left me with egg on my face.

I had a major series of blood tests done last month and the results showed that I will develop diabetes soon. My GP did say that I could probably delay it by a couple of years if I'm careful with my diet but I can't stop it.

So all I would say is be careful what you joke about. I'm trying to bite my lip and not tempt fate again. Having said that, life would be pretty miserable without a laugh, once in a while.

Steve

(Edited to try and correct grammar and spelling)

Edited by member 12 Sep 2016 at 22:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 17:29

Hi,

Humour can be as good as any medicine at making you feel better but sometimes the outcome can be different.

Three months before being diagnosed, two years ago, I can remember telling someone at my son's wedding that "If I died tomorrow, I'd be perfectly content with what I'd done in my lifetime".

I was probably slightly drunk at the time but of course it wasn't long after that I found out the bad news about my diagnosis. I remember leaving the hospital, after being told, looking up at the sky and saying to God that I had only been joking and I wasn't quite ready to go yet. Could I have a few more years?

Once my treatment started, I started to try and make light of it with friends and work colleagues saying "If I suddenly died of a heart attack, it would really bu**er up my cancer treatment plan!" My OH heard me say this to someone and told me not to joke about things like that as you can cause things to happen.

Just my luck, a couple of months later, I had a heart attack and you can imagine who was to blame, so I was told not to tempt fate again.

Having said that, on my various admissions into the cardiac ward, they usually asked me if I was diabetic.  I would always reply "Not Yet" which would usually raise a smile but the news I received last week left me with egg on my face.

I had a major series of blood tests done last month and the results showed that I will develop diabetes soon. My GP did say that I could probably delay it by a couple of years if I'm careful with my diet but I can't stop it.

So all I would say is be careful what you joke about. I'm trying to bite my lip and not tempt fate again. Having said that, life would be pretty miserable without a laugh, once in a while.

Steve

(Edited to try and correct grammar and spelling)

Edited by member 12 Sep 2016 at 22:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 20:00

Well, they do say that laughter is the best medicine, except in your case it appears !!

John has often told me that I will bring my predictions upon myself so maybe he has a point.

I'll be careful what I say in future and I can see from your post that you have already decided that too.

Thanks for sharing Steve.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 22:16
Ha Steve in that case my "joke" is that there will be a cure for all men with prostate cancer, heart issues and diabetes very soon!

Take care my friend.

Ps , 2nd joke, I will win big on the lottery!

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 20:00

Well, they do say that laughter is the best medicine, except in your case it appears !!

John has often told me that I will bring my predictions upon myself so maybe he has a point.

I'll be careful what I say in future and I can see from your post that you have already decided that too.

Thanks for sharing Steve.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 22:16
Ha Steve in that case my "joke" is that there will be a cure for all men with prostate cancer, heart issues and diabetes very soon!

Take care my friend.

Ps , 2nd joke, I will win big on the lottery!

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019