I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Reacurance

User
Posted 13 Sep 2016 at 23:32
Does a psa of 0.07 mean a reacurance.my previous readings have been 0.04.I am 3 years post op
User
Posted 14 Sep 2016 at 01:19

Hi Soloist,

anything less than 0.1 is considered to be 'undetectable' amd recurrence is when it goes above 0.2 or there are three successive rises. You should try to put this recent result to the back of your mind - sometimes these ultrasensitive results cause undue worry. There are other things that produce small amounts of PSA and the numbers are so tiny that any variation looks significant when it probably isn't. A breastfeeding woman (or one that has just had an orgasm) probably has a PSA of more than 0.07! Sometimes it is as simple as the hospital has recalibrated the testing equipment or the GP is using a new lab.

Look at my husband's recent results - 0.06, 0.08, 0.09, 0.08, 0.07 - it is becoming clear that his PSA is just going to bumble around at that level.

If you had another rise at your next test, to say 0.1 or similar, you might be a bit concerned.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Sep 2016 at 19:57
S

Hopefully your rise is just a blip and will settle at 0.04 again. L is of course right you should try and put it to the back of your mind but unfortunately once you get a rise the thought seemd to creep to the front of your mind. My PSA is slowly creeping up and it does affect decisions I make about the future.

Has your period between tests been altered, or are you on yearly tests.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 Sep 2016 at 23:43
Hi

I assume you could ask for one at 3 months. I assume you are annual tests now.

Did you have any RT after RP.

I understand some labs record to 1 2 or 3 Decimal places. Mine is 0.01 . If at only 1 Dec place then you don't know any fluctuations.

Unfortunately with current technology no way of telling if these are abnormal or normal cells. Lyn is very knowledgeable. . I asked my consultant already and they would be looking at rise over time. The upside and downside of psa testing post op. A 3 monthly test could give you peace of mind. . Ie it can only be less . same or more. If no increase then you could still wait another 12 months.. again I don't know how much you can request of the NHS.

All the best.

Edited by member 14 Sep 2016 at 23:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Sep 2016 at 21:39

If he is only 3 years post-op he should be on 6 monthly testing but the little variations may be enough to warrant going back to 3 monthly. Because J's PSA has never really behaved, he is still on 3 monthly 7 years post-op!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Sep 2016 at 00:45
THANKYOU for your advice it has reassured me somewhat I had no other treatment after the robotic prosectamy