I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Transport

User
Posted 14 Sep 2016 at 01:49

I've just been diagnosed with prostate cancer, a Radical prostatectomy has been advised, I asked for more time before signing and a bit more info as to how far its spread, As I'm on my own I also wanted to take somebody back with me as you never remember what's said to you once your outside, due to another disability diagnosed the same week I'm unable to travel on public transport, I asked if a friend could travel with me in the ambulance car just this once, And, let's put it this way I made my first phone call at 9.30 and my last at 15.45 for a caring profession I think the hospital [edited] were at the back of the queue, how is it that G4S, London Ambulance Service, Essex Ambulance Service and many allow spouses or carer's to travel, but not a hospital giving life saving care!

Edited by moderator 14 Sep 2016 at 10:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Sep 2016 at 23:25

I suppose it depends how near the hospital is but could you get a taxi perhaps? Or do you have another friend who can drive you both? In our area, the ambulance minibus is only for patients who have absolutely no other way of travelling, and any supporter or family would have to make their own way there. It's not like the appointment is going to be life-saving - I think emergencies would be different.

I hope you find a solution.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 15 Sep 2016 at 00:05
There is no other way I can get there, as I am travelling in from quite a distance, as the Hospital is ICN central London, there is no parking, and blue badges are not excepted, the vehicle that takes me in is an eight seater, because of the distance this vehicle has to travel there's only ever two patients on board,leaving five seats, as the trust pay for the journey and not bums on seats,what's the problem, its not like local pick ups where they can pick up eight or ten patients in one swoop, even so G4S, London Ambulance, Essex Ambulance all carry spouse / partners, let's be clear, we are talking about cancer, some people using this service are coming from as far away as Clacton, how can a spouse of 60/70 years old be expected to travel for up to four hours each way at a ridiculous cost when there's five empty seat's available,
User
Posted 15 Sep 2016 at 07:06

A strong argument Sir Bob when you talk about empty seats but there is probably an insurance issue or something here. Have you though of contacting the Hospital's PALS and putting your argument?

I do see though that it must be very irritating to know that there are seats available and they can't be used.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Sep 2016 at 08:20

It will no doubt be enshrined in policy. Their issue will probably be if they 'bend' the rules for your circumstances then they may have set a precedent for elsewhere. As Sandra says there may also be insurance issues

Frustrating but I hope a pragmatic solution is found

Bri

User
Posted 18 Sep 2016 at 15:56

Just a thought-could you record the conversation with the medics permission and then play it back to friend later? Good luck.E.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2016 at 20:20

My treating hospitals are 200+ miles away but follow up appointments not requiring scans or other procedures are done over the telephone as I requested. I prepare a list of questions beforehand. If the transport vehicle will not take your friend, perhaps you could come to a similar arrangement as suggested by elajai.

I expect that having got to this point you would not consider transferring to a more local hospital. I hope you will not need it but should you require subsequent radiotherapy, this will likely require 5 day a week attendance for several weeks.

Barry