I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Over and Out

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 19:07

I am very sad to report that my lovely hubby, Phil, passed away at lunchtime today at Manorlands Hospice in Oxenhope.

Phil loved life and this last 4/6 weeks has been horrific. With the failure of Radium 223, the Cabazitaxel never got passed the 2nd infusion.

He has spent the last two weeks in the hospice. he was expertly cared for by the caring team and every effort was made to control the pain from the bone metastases. For some reason I stayed over last night, maybe we knew subconsciously? But I did a lot of chatting to him and told him it was ok to let go and join Wesley the Westie on Catbells in Keswick.

He was very peaceful at the end and suffered no trauma. He's now walking the fells with Wesley and looking down on us - I raise a glass or two tonight.

Take care folks.

Glen

xxx

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 19:31

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. I'm ok at the moment with arrangements and admin to focus on but I will feel the loss more once the funeral is over with on 7 October.

One really nice thing for me is that the Funeral Directors will be collecting his ashes and mixing them with those of Wesley the Westie so they can be scattered around Catbells and surrounding fells together.

Catbells itself was not usually our main focus, but the walks we did often seemed to take in Catbells such as Dale Head, High Spy, Maiden Moor (AWR1946 Arthur) then Catbells back to Keswick. It seems appropriate with the views from there to all the fells we did around 360 degrees.

Love

Glen

xxx

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 21:18

I've only just seen your post, Glen, and I am sitting here trying to hold back the tears, as Tony is sitting nearby, and your case has been running parallel to ours. I have mentioned you to him and I don't want to have to share your sad news with him now.
I am so very sad for you. Stay strong. I hope you can stay around here and keep us in touch with your feelings and your progress, but I will totally understand if you don't want to. Big hugs.
Marje

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 19:36

Reading this I hope more than anything that Phil and Wesley are enjoying a good walk , and that the sun is shining on them both.
So sorry for your loss Glen truly. It's obviously been awful. Ill raise a glass with you xxxxx

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 20:03

So sorry to hear this Glen. Sincerest condolences and I will also raise a glass in Phil's memory

Bri x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 20:04
Glen

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept my condolences. I remember telling my mum she had fought long enough and it was time to let go. Look after yourself.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 20:17

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your Phil is at peace, and walking the hills he loves. You are a loving and supportive wife, who was there.My thoughts are with you.

Leila x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 20:23

So sad for you Glen.

Remember the good times before this horrible disease took hold.

Peace at last indeed. I hope that the fact you unaccountably decided to stay with him at the end gives you some measure of calm. You must have felt that he was going to leave you today and subconsciously made that decision.

I hope that tonight you can relax and find some peace for yourself.

My best wishes to you

Edited by member 23 Sep 2016 at 21:38  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 20:53
Glen, I am so very sorry for your loss, you are in my thoughts, I will raise a glass in memory of Phil and wish him to rest in peace,but I also raise that glass to you tonight.

no more words now just a great big hug and a few shared tears with me.

xxxxxxx
Mo

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 21:14

Oh Glen, I'm absolutely gutted for you.

I so well remember when I first was starting out on the magic beans (as you called them) and I was searching around on the forum for other people's experiences of Enzo. I found your posts when Phil was at an early stage with Enzo that said "My OH is cock-a-hoop". You gave me such hope. Thank you to both of you for that.

I earnestly hope that you find peace. I have no doubt that all the other ladies on this forum who have preceded you in going down this path will provide you with loving support.

David

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 21:24

Sorry to hear this GlenT,

really sad

you will prevail.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 21:52

Very sorry to hear your sad news Glen,
You are in my thoughts and prayers tonight, Rest easy Phil and enjoy your beautiful walks with Wesley on those fells, no pain just peace 🙏🏼
I raise a glass to you both

X

The only time you should look back is to see how far you have come
User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 22:15
So very sorry to hear this Glen.

My sincere condolences...

KRO..
User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 22:17

Oh Glen,

I'm so sorry to hear of Phil's passing today. My sincere condolences to you and your family members.

I'm sure the fact that you were able to be with him for his last night would have meant so much for you and him.

The Lake District is one of my favourite places.  To me it is Heaven on Earth.  So nice to imagine that he is there walking the fells.

Thinking of you.

Steve x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 22:45

I am so sorry to hear your sad news Glen. As others have said he is at peace now. It is now time to just make sure you take good care of yourself.

Big hugs

Rosy x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 23:27
Glen, so sorry to hear your news.
Take care.
Linda
User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 02:01

So sorry Phil lost out to this rotten disease. My condolences to family and friends.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 06:50
Wainwright said about the walk from Maiden Moor to Catbells "it must be something like this in heaven". May you find peace and comfort in the thought of Phil walking there.

Arthur

Edited by member 24 Sep 2016 at 07:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 09:05
Very sorry to hear of your loss Glen. Our thoughts are with you and your family. Jayne x
User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 09:10

So sorry to hear this, Glen. Sounds like Phil was ready to 'let go'. Glad you trusted you instincts to be with him. I send you my love and condolences.

Fiona. xxx

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 16:14
Dear Glen
My sincere condolences on the loss of Phil. I've been following your story with increasing concern, knowing the inevitable outcome but hoping for the best. You are a strong, brave woman but this has been a traumatic time for you all. I'm very glad your instincts told you to stay over that night, it will be a comfort I'm sure, in the days ahead. Rest in Peace among the gorgeous views in the Lakes Phil, wishing you some rest and peace too Glen.

Thinking of you. I'm so sorry.

Love Allison xxxxx
User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 18:56
Dear Glen, I am so sorry to read if your sad loss, my sincere condolences, so sad.
Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 20:32

So very sorry Glen...Beautiful idea to scatter his ashes in a place that has given you both so much joy.

Thank you for the help and support you have given others on this forum. I hope that there are lots of people around to support you at this sad time.

Eleanor

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 22:19
Oh Glen,
It never gets any easier to read of another man down to this terrible disease, I have been thinking of you since your last post and hoping and wishing that Phil would rally .
I am thinking of you at this sad time.
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 16:43

Oh Glen, I am so sorry to see this. Not much comfort to you right now, but the fact that Phil threw himself into the Stampede trial, and was involved in the early stages of Enzo, will hopefully ease the way for the thousands of men who will need treatment in the future. I am thankful that he died peacefully, with your love wrapped around him.

You have seemed so calmly strong since you joined us here - I pray for you to find just a little more of that strength to get you through the coming days, weeks and years.

Take care,
Lyn x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 19:47

Glendale,
So very sorry to read of Phil's travelling upstairs, at least his is now pain free and gone to join all those gone before, we send you our very sincere condolences.

RIP Phil.
God Bless.p>

Chris.

Just about to add his name to my Absent Friends5

Edited by member 25 Sep 2016 at 19:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 20:56

So sorry to hear this terrible news about Phil. So sad to see another man go and it must be such. Difficult time for you. He is at peace and hopefully the funeral can give you a time to let him go to those hills you both loved so much. Thinking of you at this time, glen. RIP PHil.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 22:25

Dear Glen
I'm so saddened to read of your loss and send you my sincere condolences.

Paul xx

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 22:48

So sorry xx

User
Posted 03 Oct 2016 at 19:54

So sorry to hear of Phils death Glen. Kev followed Phils travails avidly because he seemed to be on a par with him. Kev now struggling through Cabazitaxel but not going well.
I hope you find the strength to cope with such a great loss.

Max
"You can only play the hand you're dealt"
User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 20:26
Hi Glen
I'm sorry this comes a bit belated, haven't been around around on the forum recently as needed to temporarily step away. Please accept my sincerest condolences.
All my love
Lesley xx
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 19:36

Reading this I hope more than anything that Phil and Wesley are enjoying a good walk , and that the sun is shining on them both.
So sorry for your loss Glen truly. It's obviously been awful. Ill raise a glass with you xxxxx

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 20:03

So sorry to hear this Glen. Sincerest condolences and I will also raise a glass in Phil's memory

Bri x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 20:04
Glen

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept my condolences. I remember telling my mum she had fought long enough and it was time to let go. Look after yourself.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 20:17

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your Phil is at peace, and walking the hills he loves. You are a loving and supportive wife, who was there.My thoughts are with you.

Leila x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 20:23

So sad for you Glen.

Remember the good times before this horrible disease took hold.

Peace at last indeed. I hope that the fact you unaccountably decided to stay with him at the end gives you some measure of calm. You must have felt that he was going to leave you today and subconsciously made that decision.

I hope that tonight you can relax and find some peace for yourself.

My best wishes to you

Edited by member 23 Sep 2016 at 21:38  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 20:53
Glen, I am so very sorry for your loss, you are in my thoughts, I will raise a glass in memory of Phil and wish him to rest in peace,but I also raise that glass to you tonight.

no more words now just a great big hug and a few shared tears with me.

xxxxxxx
Mo

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 21:14

Oh Glen, I'm absolutely gutted for you.

I so well remember when I first was starting out on the magic beans (as you called them) and I was searching around on the forum for other people's experiences of Enzo. I found your posts when Phil was at an early stage with Enzo that said "My OH is cock-a-hoop". You gave me such hope. Thank you to both of you for that.

I earnestly hope that you find peace. I have no doubt that all the other ladies on this forum who have preceded you in going down this path will provide you with loving support.

David

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 21:24

Sorry to hear this GlenT,

really sad

you will prevail.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 21:52

Very sorry to hear your sad news Glen,
You are in my thoughts and prayers tonight, Rest easy Phil and enjoy your beautiful walks with Wesley on those fells, no pain just peace 🙏🏼
I raise a glass to you both

X

The only time you should look back is to see how far you have come
User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 22:15
So very sorry to hear this Glen.

My sincere condolences...

KRO..
User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 22:17

Oh Glen,

I'm so sorry to hear of Phil's passing today. My sincere condolences to you and your family members.

I'm sure the fact that you were able to be with him for his last night would have meant so much for you and him.

The Lake District is one of my favourite places.  To me it is Heaven on Earth.  So nice to imagine that he is there walking the fells.

Thinking of you.

Steve x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 22:45

I am so sorry to hear your sad news Glen. As others have said he is at peace now. It is now time to just make sure you take good care of yourself.

Big hugs

Rosy x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 23:27
Glen, so sorry to hear your news.
Take care.
Linda
User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 02:01

So sorry Phil lost out to this rotten disease. My condolences to family and friends.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 06:50
Wainwright said about the walk from Maiden Moor to Catbells "it must be something like this in heaven". May you find peace and comfort in the thought of Phil walking there.

Arthur

Edited by member 24 Sep 2016 at 07:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 09:05
Very sorry to hear of your loss Glen. Our thoughts are with you and your family. Jayne x
User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 09:10

So sorry to hear this, Glen. Sounds like Phil was ready to 'let go'. Glad you trusted you instincts to be with him. I send you my love and condolences.

Fiona. xxx

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 16:14
Dear Glen
My sincere condolences on the loss of Phil. I've been following your story with increasing concern, knowing the inevitable outcome but hoping for the best. You are a strong, brave woman but this has been a traumatic time for you all. I'm very glad your instincts told you to stay over that night, it will be a comfort I'm sure, in the days ahead. Rest in Peace among the gorgeous views in the Lakes Phil, wishing you some rest and peace too Glen.

Thinking of you. I'm so sorry.

Love Allison xxxxx
User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 18:56
Dear Glen, I am so sorry to read if your sad loss, my sincere condolences, so sad.
Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 19:31

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. I'm ok at the moment with arrangements and admin to focus on but I will feel the loss more once the funeral is over with on 7 October.

One really nice thing for me is that the Funeral Directors will be collecting his ashes and mixing them with those of Wesley the Westie so they can be scattered around Catbells and surrounding fells together.

Catbells itself was not usually our main focus, but the walks we did often seemed to take in Catbells such as Dale Head, High Spy, Maiden Moor (AWR1946 Arthur) then Catbells back to Keswick. It seems appropriate with the views from there to all the fells we did around 360 degrees.

Love

Glen

xxx

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 20:32

So very sorry Glen...Beautiful idea to scatter his ashes in a place that has given you both so much joy.

Thank you for the help and support you have given others on this forum. I hope that there are lots of people around to support you at this sad time.

Eleanor

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 22:19
Oh Glen,
It never gets any easier to read of another man down to this terrible disease, I have been thinking of you since your last post and hoping and wishing that Phil would rally .
I am thinking of you at this sad time.
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 16:43

Oh Glen, I am so sorry to see this. Not much comfort to you right now, but the fact that Phil threw himself into the Stampede trial, and was involved in the early stages of Enzo, will hopefully ease the way for the thousands of men who will need treatment in the future. I am thankful that he died peacefully, with your love wrapped around him.

You have seemed so calmly strong since you joined us here - I pray for you to find just a little more of that strength to get you through the coming days, weeks and years.

Take care,
Lyn x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 19:47

Glendale,
So very sorry to read of Phil's travelling upstairs, at least his is now pain free and gone to join all those gone before, we send you our very sincere condolences.

RIP Phil.
God Bless.p>

Chris.

Just about to add his name to my Absent Friends5

Edited by member 25 Sep 2016 at 19:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 20:56

So sorry to hear this terrible news about Phil. So sad to see another man go and it must be such. Difficult time for you. He is at peace and hopefully the funeral can give you a time to let him go to those hills you both loved so much. Thinking of you at this time, glen. RIP PHil.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 21:08
Saddened. Another brother gone. But boy what a gathering there is on the other side. Stay strong.

Bazza
User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 21:18

I've only just seen your post, Glen, and I am sitting here trying to hold back the tears, as Tony is sitting nearby, and your case has been running parallel to ours. I have mentioned you to him and I don't want to have to share your sad news with him now.
I am so very sad for you. Stay strong. I hope you can stay around here and keep us in touch with your feelings and your progress, but I will totally understand if you don't want to. Big hugs.
Marje

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 22:25

Dear Glen
I'm so saddened to read of your loss and send you my sincere condolences.

Paul xx

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 22:48

So sorry xx

User
Posted 03 Oct 2016 at 19:54

So sorry to hear of Phils death Glen. Kev followed Phils travails avidly because he seemed to be on a par with him. Kev now struggling through Cabazitaxel but not going well.
I hope you find the strength to cope with such a great loss.

Max
"You can only play the hand you're dealt"
User
Posted 19 Oct 2016 at 20:26
Hi Glen
I'm sorry this comes a bit belated, haven't been around around on the forum recently as needed to temporarily step away. Please accept my sincerest condolences.
All my love
Lesley xx