Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tiredness after treatment

User
Posted 27 Sep 2016 at 11:44

Hi,

Just checking out some side effects. I finished my Chemo around seven months ago and still on the Decapeptyl HT injections every three months.

Everything appears ok but I cant seem to shake my tiredness no matter what I try. I get reasonable sleep 7-8 hrs and up mostly once sometimes twice a night. I am working ok and exercising (walking Jogging etc) but I just feel completely knackered. At work sometimes pull over and stop the car for a 20 mins nap and when I get home by 9pm I am I cant keep my eyes open. Weekend also go for a nap. I can do it ok but its beginning to get on OH nerves.

Anyone else feeling tired six months after treatment?

Steven

User
Posted 27 Sep 2016 at 12:37

Just a general observation Steven but of my three family members who had chemo tiredness was a definite.

You have to remember that although your  chemo may have finished 7 months ago, your body still has to repair itself.  Chemo is a drastic treatment, aimed at destroying cells. It will destroy some good as well as bad and your body is playing catch up.

Just because you are back at work (long days they seem to me) and look OK doesn't mean you automatically  have to be. You are also exercising which is also stressing your body.

Give yourself and your body time to recuperate.

I'm sure those who have gone your route will be along to advise you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 03 Oct 2016 at 15:19

Hi my OH finished early chemo in June and had very few side effects still working everyday in a hard manual job ,3 weeks after chemo finished he started on arm j of stampede trial and he feels more tired taking the drugs than the effects of chemo .we're not sure if this will eventually subside or if this is life now .like you he has naps which help slightly but with 3 lots of hormones going into his body it's got to take its toll ,also the constant hot flushes which do seem to be fewer now but also the lose of strength which he finds frustrating .we're learning to lead our life a bit slower and go out earlier in the evening for meals etc ,also he doesn't work 6/7 days a week now only doing overtime if he feels upto it .
Best wishes to you
Debby

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Sep 2016 at 12:37

Just a general observation Steven but of my three family members who had chemo tiredness was a definite.

You have to remember that although your  chemo may have finished 7 months ago, your body still has to repair itself.  Chemo is a drastic treatment, aimed at destroying cells. It will destroy some good as well as bad and your body is playing catch up.

Just because you are back at work (long days they seem to me) and look OK doesn't mean you automatically  have to be. You are also exercising which is also stressing your body.

Give yourself and your body time to recuperate.

I'm sure those who have gone your route will be along to advise you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 03 Oct 2016 at 15:19

Hi my OH finished early chemo in June and had very few side effects still working everyday in a hard manual job ,3 weeks after chemo finished he started on arm j of stampede trial and he feels more tired taking the drugs than the effects of chemo .we're not sure if this will eventually subside or if this is life now .like you he has naps which help slightly but with 3 lots of hormones going into his body it's got to take its toll ,also the constant hot flushes which do seem to be fewer now but also the lose of strength which he finds frustrating .we're learning to lead our life a bit slower and go out earlier in the evening for meals etc ,also he doesn't work 6/7 days a week now only doing overtime if he feels upto it .
Best wishes to you
Debby

User
Posted 04 Oct 2016 at 22:35

Thanks Debby, I know I have to take it easier which is always easier said than done. I know you OH was on the same track as myself and likewise my flushes are beginning to reduce (thank goodness for chilly Scotland!). Can I just ask why OH went on the arm J? When I finished chemo and PSA went down to 3.8 it was recommended that we just keep an eye on things and get tested every 4 months.
Glad it's going well.

Steven

User
Posted 07 Oct 2016 at 16:06
Hi when Gary went on his initial chemo app it was put to us that being on the trial (if allocated) would improve /contain the cancer for longer ,we were really just taking every opertunity to improve the outcome knowing it wasn't curable , we don't know if this will prove true only time will tell .the downside is the tiredness .whether or not will Gary can cope with this I don't know but he's willing to give it a year before making any future decision ,

Were you offered it or did you decide it wasn't for you ?

Thanks Debby