Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

another clear test

User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 10:29

Hi

Three years since robotic surgery. Had latest blood test results last week. Another undetectable.so relieved.

will continue with 6 monthly blood tests but doctor does not want to see me for a year.

dont think about results until day i attend. then the nerves kick in!! i always hope i will be clear but i know that it can come back and i am ready for bad news. i remember going into the same hospital 3 years ago and getting the shock news so i am always prepared.

hardly any problems with incontinence apart from occasional small leak.

feel physically so well and doing more than i did before the op

lets hope it continues

User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 11:29
Hi

May it continue. . Yes fully understand. A balancing act which I know now effects my wife even more. Ie always think positive yet prepare for other as you say. Incidentally I just ring up GP and speak to 'receptionist' 3 days after. They use the phrase. ..'satisfactory' and then I have to prompt for value. Little do they realise the potential life changing impact I assume. Amuses the wife when I say 'satisfactory' ....

Edited by member 05 Oct 2016 at 11:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 12:36

Well done on the good news John.

Robgsr, my John was the same when he rang for results "Oh that's OK, they said it was satisfactory"

No no no. Not an answer as far as I 'm concerned. What EXACTLY is the "satisfactory" result

He's getting the idea now though!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 12:57
Ben Stiller.. Under 50 at dx.

https://medium.com/cancer-moonshot/the-prostate-cancer-test-that-saved-my-life-613feb3f7c00#.v9f4ki2l9

My surgeon gave guesstimate. Mine may have started 7 to 8 years previous. Without father having PC I wouldn't have had tests. I think it was pure luck a friend mentioned PSA to me.

User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 19:06

Great news John really pleased for you Andy

User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 19:25
Well done John, long may it continue.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 21:37
Well done John... excellent news!

KRO..

User
Posted 06 Oct 2016 at 08:55

I've never rung my GP for a result; I know they'll contact me if it's a problem - or I'll find out next time I have my Zoladex ... which is soon enough for one 'suspect' result.

Life is way too short too obsess over a result that is likely meaningless - and will need repeating, anyway.

Live while you can - you're a long time dead!

User
Posted 06 Oct 2016 at 22:41

Thanks everyone. its good to pass on good news especially if there are any newly diagnosed reading here.

i like the idea of just ringing up and getting result. would spare me all the travelling and waiting outside the doctors door. well this will happen with my next blood test result. yes and i will ask for the exact reading.

i look back and think "what a nightmare". how did i get through it all? but you have to accept it all and get on with it all. I made the right choice with the type of surgery and the surgeon. no family history or symptoms so why did i get it?? it doesnt make sense. You hear of others getting cancer and you think thank god its not me...then its you!!! i admit i have been lucky with a great recovery and lucky is the right word.

User
Posted 06 Oct 2016 at 23:18

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I've never rung my GP for a result; I know they'll contact me if it's a problem - or I'll find out next time I have my Zoladex ... which is soon enough for one 'suspect' result.

Life is way too short too obsess over a result that is likely meaningless - and will need repeating, anyway.

Live while you can - you're a long time dead!

Not the same for everyone Heenan and we certainly don't obsess in our house! Our GP has never really been involved in John's care - John rings reception to get the result and then phones the urologist and the oncologist's secretaries to let them know the result. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Mar 2017 at 08:09

Hi

My latest 6 monthly test and clear again. 

As mentioned in my last post I dont have to see my doctor until July. So this time I didn't have to go through the usual wait in the waiting room. I just spoke to my local gp's receptionist and got the good news. But I must admit i delayed ringing as we went away for a few days and i didn't want any possible bad news. I still delayed it for a few days after returning!!

so 3 more tests left. I remember being told after the op that i would have 5 years of testing. It seemed so daunting. But you get to accept it. I have been lucky in getting good results and it has made me positive and led to continuing my life as normally as I can.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2017 at 11:03
Great news. It's what we all hope for.
User
Posted 09 Mar 2017 at 14:03

Sorry and I don't won't to put a downer on your excellent news. But it is my understanding we will continue needing a PSA test for life. These will in all likelihood go to annual tests but will still be required
Bri

User
Posted 09 Mar 2017 at 18:44

Great news John - way to go!

I'd want to get a few more years of testing in, just in case, it seems it can be a sneaky b******* at times!

Flexi

User
Posted 09 Mar 2017 at 19:52

You will need to be tested at least annually for the rest of your life John - my dad had 13 years of undetectable PSA and then it came back. Fortunately, the annual testing picked it up and for the time being we are just keeping an eye on it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Oct 2017 at 13:13

just had test and clear again.

just seen replies to my last message.

i didnt know annual tests continued but probably a good idea. Thanks for updates.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2017 at 17:25
Great news,

Congratulations - long may it continue, it sure is an anxious time waiting for these blood tests

User
Posted 20 Oct 2017 at 07:24

Congratulations John and may it continue

Kevin