I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

One week to go

User
Posted 08 Oct 2016 at 13:57
Well after 32 sessions I have 5 more to go to complete my treatment and I am really looking forward to Friday 14th.

It has been a bit of a roller coaster ride these past 7 weeks, some good, some ok and some not good at all, but there are people who have had more problems than me so I shouldn't complain.

Other than the usual worsening tierdness I have been relatively lucky up until this week which has unfortunately has been my worst one so far.

The radiation irritation has at long last come to 'Bite' me and I am experiencing severe internal pain around the rectum/bowl which is making me very sore and passing urine is very uncomfortable.

I am told by the Radiographers that this is fairly common towards the end of treatment and they are going to ask the planning team if the paramitors of my treatment can be alterd for the last week, larticually as I am having real trouble holding my bladder while waiting for my treatment session.

They tell me that the blaader is only 80-85% full but I don't seem to be able to hold it as I feel as if I am bursting - Does anyone else experience this???

Anyway hope my bit of a blog is helpful to people just starting treatment to what to expect and best wishes to all my fellow sufferers, hoping your doing well.

keep strong and beat it.......

Harley

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 18:05
Hi Harley

Like Andrew I found that I had to give the old bladder a talking to and so once it had been emptied, no matter what it was telling me I told it that it would have to wait 2 hours before going again. Naturally this depended on what volume of fluids I had been drinking. I can't say it was easy but it worked for me in the end.

After the RT my insides felt a bit messed up so the answer to that was get up, have a shower, have breakfast and then out on the motorbike for an hour and a half to shake the insides into submission. Mind you an hour and a half on a Royal Enfield is going to shake things up a bit more than a Harley (that could just be sheer envy talking). Three and a bit months after the end of RT I feel good and the insides are feeling better than at any time since the RALP 14 months ago. Hang on in there as I am sure there is light at the end of the tunnel.

All the best.

Kevan

Edited by member 09 Oct 2016 at 18:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 09:38

Hello Harley and thanks for the update.

I'm sure those already on or just about to embark on their journey will benefit from the knowledge.

Hope you get the radiation irritation sorted asap.

Good luck for the 14th.

All the best

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 10:01

I found holding on got more difficult towards the end - and indeed, for some months afterwards. The trick, weirdly, is to drink plenty and force yourself to override the feeling (when you are sure it's a false signal!).

i got so I could drink a couple of pints at the pub with no worries, but as soon as I was 100 metres from home, I was hit by an amazing urgency. Don't ask me what's going on, but I've always taken it to be the radiotherapy damaging the "Time To Go" mechanism, and having to retrain it ... works for me!

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 19:12

Hi Harley.

For your severe internal pain around the rectum ask your RT team to prescribe some Proctocedyl Suppositories.. I found these extreme;y effective.

Alan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 09:38

Hello Harley and thanks for the update.

I'm sure those already on or just about to embark on their journey will benefit from the knowledge.

Hope you get the radiation irritation sorted asap.

Good luck for the 14th.

All the best

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 10:01

I found holding on got more difficult towards the end - and indeed, for some months afterwards. The trick, weirdly, is to drink plenty and force yourself to override the feeling (when you are sure it's a false signal!).

i got so I could drink a couple of pints at the pub with no worries, but as soon as I was 100 metres from home, I was hit by an amazing urgency. Don't ask me what's going on, but I've always taken it to be the radiotherapy damaging the "Time To Go" mechanism, and having to retrain it ... works for me!

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 18:05
Hi Harley

Like Andrew I found that I had to give the old bladder a talking to and so once it had been emptied, no matter what it was telling me I told it that it would have to wait 2 hours before going again. Naturally this depended on what volume of fluids I had been drinking. I can't say it was easy but it worked for me in the end.

After the RT my insides felt a bit messed up so the answer to that was get up, have a shower, have breakfast and then out on the motorbike for an hour and a half to shake the insides into submission. Mind you an hour and a half on a Royal Enfield is going to shake things up a bit more than a Harley (that could just be sheer envy talking). Three and a bit months after the end of RT I feel good and the insides are feeling better than at any time since the RALP 14 months ago. Hang on in there as I am sure there is light at the end of the tunnel.

All the best.

Kevan

Edited by member 09 Oct 2016 at 18:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 19:12

Hi Harley.

For your severe internal pain around the rectum ask your RT team to prescribe some Proctocedyl Suppositories.. I found these extreme;y effective.

Alan

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 20:49
Thanks for that Alan, I will ask tomorrow, appreciate the neads up.