I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA still rising

User
Posted 10 Oct 2016 at 18:50

After my template biopsy in April and being discharged from Urology, I have just had my six month follow up PSA test and it has risen yet again, so I am now waiting to see if I will be referred back to Urology.  Up from 15.0 in January to 15.8

April 2015 PSA 8.9

May 2015 TRUS biopsy - High grade PIN in one core

September 2015 PSA 14.7

October 2015 PSA 15.0

November 2015 MRI scan - PI-RADS = 2

January 2016 PSA 15.0

April 2016 Template biopsy - High grade PIN and some evidence of prostatitis

October 2016 PSA 15.8

User
Posted 10 Oct 2016 at 20:35

Bumping you Alan

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 Oct 2016 at 01:57

Alan,

Not a dramatic rise in your PSA but worth asking how your consultant sees it.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Oct 2016 at 10:52

I agree, not a huge rise, but given there has still be no real explanation for the initial high reading of 8.9 and then the jump to 15, I am still no further forward, but I have stopped worrying about it as there is nothing I can do.  I just live in hope that I am one of the few people who have high PSA readings without PCa

User
Posted 11 Oct 2016 at 19:44

A friend of mine was diagnosed with PIN about 6 years ago. His PSA at the time was about 5.8. This gradually increased over about 4 years until it got into the sevens. He was told that no action would be considered until it reached 10. However, although it has gone up and down slightly it has remained in the sevens not going higher at any time since. He has had no treatment of any kind since. Some patients who have PIN don't go on to get PCa whilst others do. PCa can advance showing only a low PSA but more often an advance in PCa in terms of aggressiveness and or spread tends to result in an increase in measured PSA.

Barry
User
Posted 14 Nov 2016 at 19:56

Following my last PSA test (15.8 up from 15.0), my doctor wrote to the consultant advising little change in PSA and we have been awaiting a reply.  Out of the blue on Friday I received an outpatients appointment in the post for today.  I saw the consultant for the first time (previously just had telephone appointments) and he reassured me that there was no cancer.  There was prostatitis and my prostate is quite large (60) which he is confident is the reason for the raised PSA.  We discussed my urinary problems and he suggested we try Finasteride to reduce the size of my prostate and to improve urinary flow, so that is the plan for the next six months.  After todays meeting I feel much happier and more confident that my problems are BPH and prostaitis related and not PCa.

Edited by member 24 Nov 2016 at 19:58  | Reason: Not specified