I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My Dads treatment

User
Posted 04 Nov 2016 at 22:18

Hello, I am new to this, didn't know it existed until now. My Dad has just passed away from advanced prostate cancer. The medical certificate said acute kidney failure, hypercalcemia and secondary metastases to lungs and liver. Whilst I understand he was very very ill, I do not understand why the medical team didn't put a drain or stent into the kidney long before. Then at least he might have had a bit more time, even just to finish his gardening instructions or to say goodbye properly.  Has anyone else had such an experience, or to offer some insight please ?

User
Posted 04 Nov 2016 at 22:18

Hello, I am new to this, didn't know it existed until now. My Dad has just passed away from advanced prostate cancer. The medical certificate said acute kidney failure, hypercalcemia and secondary metastases to lungs and liver. Whilst I understand he was very very ill, I do not understand why the medical team didn't put a drain or stent into the kidney long before. Then at least he might have had a bit more time, even just to finish his gardening instructions or to say goodbye properly.  Has anyone else had such an experience, or to offer some insight please ?

User
Posted 05 Nov 2016 at 23:43

Hi Alexandra, what is put on the death certificate is the detail of why the body stopped that day. Men do not die of prostate cancer - they die because the organs stop coping. Your dad's kidney failure may only have happened in the very last hours of his illness when he was far too ill to survive general anaesthetic or cope with the aftermath of surgery.

My father-in-law went from reasonably well to dead in just over 24 hours - a scan on the last day showed that the cancer had gone to his liver, kidneys etc without anyone realising. We knew his kidneys were struggling because he was swollen up with lymphodema but a stent doesn't solve lymphodema and the kidneys just got overwhelmed.

I hope that helps, even a tiny bit.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Nov 2016 at 23:43

Hi Alexandra, what is put on the death certificate is the detail of why the body stopped that day. Men do not die of prostate cancer - they die because the organs stop coping. Your dad's kidney failure may only have happened in the very last hours of his illness when he was far too ill to survive general anaesthetic or cope with the aftermath of surgery.

My father-in-law went from reasonably well to dead in just over 24 hours - a scan on the last day showed that the cancer had gone to his liver, kidneys etc without anyone realising. We knew his kidneys were struggling because he was swollen up with lymphodema but a stent doesn't solve lymphodema and the kidneys just got overwhelmed.

I hope that helps, even a tiny bit.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Nov 2016 at 00:31

Thankyou for your information. I have since read about hypercalcemia, which my Dad had suddenly developed, and it says that kidneys cannot remove such a large amount of calcium from the blood, where it becomes toxic.

It is all very sad. The funeral is on Friday, he planned it all himself so I hope he is watching it from above and I hope he likes it.