I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Confused by PSA scores

User
Posted 07 Nov 2016 at 13:32
Having been diagnosed in September with aggressive prostrate cancel my PSA level result from my lst blood test was 37.1 . Have Been put on hormone injections. 6 weeks ago my recent PSA score was an amazing 0.48 . I am so very confused how this can be such a dramatic drop in such a short time .Especially as l,m supposed to be on injections for 3 months before radiotherapy . Can anybody throw sum light on this?
User
Posted 07 Nov 2016 at 14:33

HT as intended substantially reduced testosterone production which in turn reduced PSA. Your drop is par for the course for those like you who responded well to HT. Long may that continue.

Ray

User
Posted 07 Nov 2016 at 15:00

Thanks for the info I'm encouraged by that. I'm being considered for the stampede trials arm k at the moment due to see the onco beginning of December for possibly taking metformin .So hopefully that and the radiotherapy will reduce the tumour .

User
Posted 17 Nov 2016 at 00:00
When I was diagnosed I chose to have RT. I was initially surprised and worried because they proposed several months wait till the start of the RT treatment. But they did start HT straight away and my PSA fell to immeasurable. They said the delay was intentional to allow the HT to shrink the gland and so make a better target for the RT machine and reduce the risk of collateral damage. That was all 3 years ago and it's all worked out fine. Good luck Adrian