Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The Great North Run (GNR) 2017

User
Posted 08 Nov 2016 at 12:51

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd mention that I started my GNR 2017 training today.  Just two miles in 27 minutes which is a start.  It's just faster than a quick walk so I did need to jog now and then.  I only had my op on Sept 1st so thought I would give it a try.

It wasn't too bad really, mostly walking with the occasional job to keep within the time.  I was only aware of a leak/dribble once and that was the first time I broke into a jog.  After that I could prepare and tense myself a bit.  A bit out of breath whilst jogging but being an ex-marathon runner, I know that as my fitness improves, it will get much easier.

I'm running this for Prostate Cancer UK and have received my pack and running vest.  I hope to raise in excess of £300 but would really like to raise a lot more.

If anyone else is thinking of trying the Great North Run next September, now is the time to start training, especially if you have had the RP.  If there is anyone who'd like to give it a go, it would be great if we could all run as a group.   Please contact me if you'd like to run with me.  As Del Trotter used to say, "Who dares, wins!", lol.

I'll keep you posted as to my progress but I've already made up my mind.  I AM GOING TO DO IT!

Glen

User
Posted 08 Nov 2016 at 19:22

Hi Glen
Good for you.
My last GNR was last year but since have developed a cardio problem so am sticking to hiking. I have an appointment with cardiologist next month and if he can sort me out then I'd like to have another go. Next onco appointment is in 2 weeks as well.

What time are you aiming for?
What's you fundraising page?

Best of luck with the training.

Paul

User
Posted 08 Nov 2016 at 20:17

Cheers Paul,

Not got an official fundraising page yet as it's a bit early for "Justgiving" to have the GNR on their list. However, if you'd like to have a look at my Facebook page, I have a sponsor form on there: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013826803028

Hope all goes well with you onco app.

Please keep in touch.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Nov 2016 at 20:44
Well done, Dave.

Go for it!

Steve