Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Best option after surgery if psa still not normal

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 07:51
Hi,

Could anyone tell me what's the best route to go down if your psa isn't quite down to where it should be?

What is the official psa number hospitals work too ? To be classed as undetectable or clear

Can a man have a psa reading after it has been removed without it being cancer cells?

I'm only 45 so would like to try and get it cleared now rather than waiting for it to rise before treatment is considered.

What questions should I ask my urologists when I go back in December ?

Thanks

John

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 11:35

my surgeon says if the worst happens and the PSA rises I will have salvage RT to mop up any left over cells. I hope it never comes to this. I have changed my diet, next to no diary products, take an aspirin, Pomi-t and curcumin supplements everyday. I eat less red meat and more fish and veg. I also drink green tea at least 4 times a day.

Does this work? I have no idea but I will try anything to avoid having RT if at all possible. To be honest I should of done this years ago as I feel far better for the changes.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 12:03

If you have very low PSA post surgery and then it slowly rises to approx 0.2 , then they normally recommend RT , which can still be curative.
My post op was 1.5 and four weeks later 2.4. They offered RT but stated it wouldn't be curative. So I rejected it outright. I've been on HT and will be having new scans soon as they suspect advanced spread :-((. I'm only 49.
Good luck on your journey

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 15:01

Hi John I was offered adjuvant RT even with a undetectable PSA post op due to positive margins being found trials show promising results from early RT, so I would ask about this at your next appointment in December also ask as your PSA seems to be slightly above ideal that is it more likely to be in your prostrate bed and would early RT be the best course.I do take a daily aspirin told consultant this and was ok with it .all the best Andy

Edited by member 09 Nov 2016 at 19:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 16:24
Hi John

Just read your other entry. Clarify with your MDP contact that lab only records to one decimal place. Ie tenths. That's the lowest you can be given then. What incidentally were your biopsy results. ie T number and Gleason values. PSA is naturally produced. . your body isn't fighting it. The aim of the surgeon was to remove all cells. . normal or tumourous. So in theory our PSA should be now be zero. I could have pushed for RT or joined a trial so you do have influence . I chose never. Technology seems to be progressing with finer detail. The key for thousands of us is be able to target and seek out any rogue cells and deal with accordingly. This awful disease will be beaten. All the very best. ..Gordon

Edited by member 09 Nov 2016 at 16:25  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 11:35

my surgeon says if the worst happens and the PSA rises I will have salvage RT to mop up any left over cells. I hope it never comes to this. I have changed my diet, next to no diary products, take an aspirin, Pomi-t and curcumin supplements everyday. I eat less red meat and more fish and veg. I also drink green tea at least 4 times a day.

Does this work? I have no idea but I will try anything to avoid having RT if at all possible. To be honest I should of done this years ago as I feel far better for the changes.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 12:03

If you have very low PSA post surgery and then it slowly rises to approx 0.2 , then they normally recommend RT , which can still be curative.
My post op was 1.5 and four weeks later 2.4. They offered RT but stated it wouldn't be curative. So I rejected it outright. I've been on HT and will be having new scans soon as they suspect advanced spread :-((. I'm only 49.
Good luck on your journey

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 12:40
Hi John

Are you willing to post your results ? As I assume you will have PSA at 6 weeks post op. And 3 monthly.

. As Chris states 0.2

MDP will advise and react accordingly.

As you probably know different labs work to differing decimal places.

Best wishes

Gordon

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 14:18
Hi Goron

7 weeks post op it was at 0.4 then 12 weeks after down to 0.2 and now at 0.1 , this was why I asked in my original post as to what is classed as cancer there but not detectable and what scoring is classed as a clear

Changing the subject a little I see some people are taking aspirin daily , this is not something I haven't heard of

All my margins where clear with no signs it has spread according to my mri scan

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 15:01

Hi John I was offered adjuvant RT even with a undetectable PSA post op due to positive margins being found trials show promising results from early RT, so I would ask about this at your next appointment in December also ask as your PSA seems to be slightly above ideal that is it more likely to be in your prostrate bed and would early RT be the best course.I do take a daily aspirin told consultant this and was ok with it .all the best Andy

Edited by member 09 Nov 2016 at 19:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 15:36
Can you insist on further treatment or do they tell you when and what you can have ?

You don't know what to do for the best being on the younger side should it be treated differently ?

With the psa coming down on last three does that mean my body has found a way to fight it or what?

Thanks

John

Edited by member 09 Nov 2016 at 15:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 15:47
Hi John.

Just check your lab only shows to one decimal place. I'm nearly 2 years post RP and mine were 0.04 and 0.01 since. However I've seen some forum members post 0.001 . As long as yours remains at 0.1 then fine, as it's probably the lowest that lab reports. Depending on your pre op PSA level the body will take time to remove. Again some PSA may be being produced and not a sign of cancerous activity. You are very young so assume 3 monthly testing will continue for some time. I think and others may correct me, aspirin study related to those who had additional treatment after RP. . I take zero meds. The only adjustment I've made is try and relax more and generally eat less. I know there are benefits taken some aspirin and some red wine. I 'call' my own 3 monthly PSA test ; within reason as don't see my consultant until next Feb/March. So don't know if I schedule for week before Christmas or leave to Jan. Seems more intense impact on my wife than me now . All the best. .

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 15:56
Thanks for reply

The test I was given at Sheffield hallamshire hospital was supposed to be ultra sensitive but urologist said its come back at 0.1

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 16:24
Hi John

Just read your other entry. Clarify with your MDP contact that lab only records to one decimal place. Ie tenths. That's the lowest you can be given then. What incidentally were your biopsy results. ie T number and Gleason values. PSA is naturally produced. . your body isn't fighting it. The aim of the surgeon was to remove all cells. . normal or tumourous. So in theory our PSA should be now be zero. I could have pushed for RT or joined a trial so you do have influence . I chose never. Technology seems to be progressing with finer detail. The key for thousands of us is be able to target and seek out any rogue cells and deal with accordingly. This awful disease will be beaten. All the very best. ..Gordon

Edited by member 09 Nov 2016 at 16:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 16:49
Hi

My Gleason score was 3+4

Psa pre op was 7.2

T2 grade

User
Posted 09 Nov 2016 at 19:28

John it may help to read my profile

Brian