Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

85 yrs old PSA 33

User
Posted 13 Nov 2016 at 20:56

84yr old with PSA of 33. Help Please.

Hello all. I am 84yrs old with an airway disease and IBS attacks. I saw the urology doctor who was keen for me to have bone scan Xrays and later prostate biopsy. I don#t really have many symtoms of urinary problems (PSA done on a whim, not because of any problems) I am fairly active (cyclist etc and am self caring in all activities) Problem is that should I enter into all the Xrays/Biopsies route or stay away hoping that I may have few years left in my present state. I find I seem to swing between the two answers, and as such cannot come to a conclusion. I am going to have to come to a decision within the next few weeks. So please you experts I am lost in confusion.

User
Posted 13 Nov 2016 at 20:56

84yr old with PSA of 33. Help Please.

Hello all. I am 84yrs old with an airway disease and IBS attacks. I saw the urology doctor who was keen for me to have bone scan Xrays and later prostate biopsy. I don#t really have many symtoms of urinary problems (PSA done on a whim, not because of any problems) I am fairly active (cyclist etc and am self caring in all activities) Problem is that should I enter into all the Xrays/Biopsies route or stay away hoping that I may have few years left in my present state. I find I seem to swing between the two answers, and as such cannot come to a conclusion. I am going to have to come to a decision within the next few weeks. So please you experts I am lost in confusion.

User
Posted 13 Nov 2016 at 21:24

Hi moofy,
we are not experts, just people living with the issues and implications. In the end it will be your decision but my thoughts are that the more information you have, the better equipped you are to deal with the problem. If the biopsy shows that you have a gentle pussy cat at Gleason 3+3, with good margins and low volume then active surveillance may keep you well and confident for the rest of your life, with no horrible shocks. If it shows a G5+5 or spread to other areas then you can make decisions about which treatments will best contain it with the least impact on your current lifestyle.

My father-in-law was diasgnosed at 79. He did have the biopsy which showed low volume, low aggressive cancer but with some lymph node involvement. He had the lymph nodes removed and some chemo but declined any of the usual treatments because he felt at his age his sex life and ability to play golf etc was more important than living for many years. As it happened, he only lived 4 years but definitely did things on his terms.

Just a note of information; cycling does raise the PSA - professional cyclists have higher rates than other men - but there is no suggestion that cycling increases the risk of prostate cancer. However, 33 might be a bit high for blaming a bike!

I hope that helps in some way?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Nov 2016 at 22:18

Hi Ron

An uninformed decision is no better than spinning a coin. Which is fine if that's the way you want to play life. Scans are quick and painless, biopsy is usually no more than a discomfort. For me I would have the tests so at least you know the odds. If treatment was advised with HT (Hormone Therapy ) being an option you can always come of it if the side effects are too severe.

Ray

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Nov 2016 at 21:24

Hi moofy,
we are not experts, just people living with the issues and implications. In the end it will be your decision but my thoughts are that the more information you have, the better equipped you are to deal with the problem. If the biopsy shows that you have a gentle pussy cat at Gleason 3+3, with good margins and low volume then active surveillance may keep you well and confident for the rest of your life, with no horrible shocks. If it shows a G5+5 or spread to other areas then you can make decisions about which treatments will best contain it with the least impact on your current lifestyle.

My father-in-law was diasgnosed at 79. He did have the biopsy which showed low volume, low aggressive cancer but with some lymph node involvement. He had the lymph nodes removed and some chemo but declined any of the usual treatments because he felt at his age his sex life and ability to play golf etc was more important than living for many years. As it happened, he only lived 4 years but definitely did things on his terms.

Just a note of information; cycling does raise the PSA - professional cyclists have higher rates than other men - but there is no suggestion that cycling increases the risk of prostate cancer. However, 33 might be a bit high for blaming a bike!

I hope that helps in some way?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Nov 2016 at 22:18

Hi Ron

An uninformed decision is no better than spinning a coin. Which is fine if that's the way you want to play life. Scans are quick and painless, biopsy is usually no more than a discomfort. For me I would have the tests so at least you know the odds. If treatment was advised with HT (Hormone Therapy ) being an option you can always come of it if the side effects are too severe.

Ray

User
Posted 14 Nov 2016 at 16:23

I think the following comment may be the catalyst that stirs me into doing something about this and not just sitting here whining about it all.....An uninformed decision is no better than spinning a coin. Which is fine if that's the way you want to play life........Thank you for this stark but true statement. .