Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

it's back

User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 09:26

Hi,

I was wondering whether anybody could shed some light/comments/thoughts re recurrent PCA.

I was treated for PCA 6 1/2 years ago, with HIFU - I have recently had another small TURP procedure to try and sort out some of my peeing problems (urgency, multiple pees at night, dribbling etc etc ) and my urologist told me at an emergency follow up (  due to me peeing a lot of blood ) that my PCA had come back... 

To be honest I don't have huge recall of what he said at the meeting, as I was in shock and didn't really take in what he was saying - the only thing I do remember him talking about was MRI scans...

I am due to see him on Wed evening - any thoughts/comments on things I should look to discuss, would be most welcome..

Many thanks

andyc

User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 10:44

Hi Andy,

I was initially diagnosed in 2007 (G9T3N?M0) and treated with HT and RT.

In 2011 I came off HT and my PSA remained low, under 2, throughout 2011 and 2012, I dared to think I may have been cured.

Then in 2013 PSA started to rise and I subsequently had salvage HDR brachytherapy (full detail in profile).

When my PCa 'came back', I asked the doctors whether it was the original cancer that had survived the RT and HT and was now growing again, or whether it was an altogether new cancer that had grown from nothing in what had previously been otherwise healthy prostate tissue?

I was told that there is no way of knowing the answer to that question.

In my case because I had previously had RT, they didn't repeat the TRUS biopsy and didn't establish a Gleason grade of the new/recurrent cancer, as apparently once radiated prostate cells don't look the same, and second bout PCa cannot be graded in the same way.

But there are lots of 'salvage' options available, maybe RP, definitely RT/Brachytherapy.

I find it useful to make a few notes prior to seeing my consultant, a sort of shopping list which I take into the meeting, that way I make sure that I ask all of the questions I wanted to ask.  

Best of luck.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 23:51

Andy,

You could ask whether a further treatment with HIFU would be appropriate as this is a repeatable form of treatment for suitable candidates providing the tumour is where the HIFU probe can focus. (You will already will know what the procedure involves and what side effects to expect.) You may also be offered RT or even Prostatectomy but you will doubtless seek advice from your consultants as to what they consider your best option. Ask whether you would have HT and for how long if you have RT.

Dave,

Very sorry you are having to contemplate further treatment and interested to learn how this works out. Perhaps a moot point but following my failed RT they did establish my Gleason fromTemplate Biopsy prior to my HIFU salvage op. This was 3+4=7, the same figures as from my original Biopsy in 2007.

Edited by member 15 Nov 2016 at 23:56  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 19:15

Hi Barry,

I am sorry if my previous post was a bit ambiguous, I am not currently contemplating further treatment, I was merely giving Andy an account of my salvage options when my PCa 'came back' in 2013.

Right at the moment, I am 'fingers crossed', waiting on my next PSA test, and hoping for the best.  All the signs are that my second bout of salvage RT worked as good as, and hopefully better than, the first.

I am however realistic, from the outset my Consultant left me in no doubt that G9 was basically incurable, and my destiny was to die with it, or of it.  But that was 9 years ago, 2016 has ben a good year for me, I may not have won the battle with cancer, but I am definitely ahead on points. 

:)

Dave