I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Freshly Diagnosed - Hormone Therapy,Radiotherapy IMRT

User
Posted 18 Nov 2016 at 19:59

Hi, have just found this group!  I was diagnosed with advance Prostate Cancer in June 2016, PSA was 13 and Gleason Score 9.  I am 71 years old.  Subsequent bone and body scans proved negative for any spread.

I have now had 2 x 3 monthly Prostap hormone injections and 7.5 weeks of radiotherapy.  I have needed to be catheterised several times during the radiotherapy, but this is getting better with 2 doses of Tamsulosin a day!  During radiotherapy, I slept like a baby, but since then I am having trouble sleeping.

I am worried about real nagging pain in my right breast, which is gradually getting worse.  I was told the hormone therapy might cause sore nipples, but this is the whole breast!  My GP is suggesting I have strained a muscle!

I am looking forward to reading other conversations etc. and hope to learn more about this affliction.

User
Posted 18 Nov 2016 at 22:50

Hi and welcome

HT including Prostap can cause breast enlargement which might be the cause of your aches. Perhaps your GP could look up the side effects .

Good luck

Ray

User
Posted 19 Nov 2016 at 10:31

Just to say welcome Peter.

You'll find a wealth of knowledge and support on here

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 07:10

Sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with advance Prostate Cancer. Hope you will recover soon and take care.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 09:28

Welcome and I hope you get help with the pain in your breast.
On a positive note it doesn't sound like you have advanced prostate cancer. The scans were clear and they have initiated the RT which presumably is to try and get rid of the cancer.

Bri

User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 11:42

A scan can be negative for any spread but positive for breaching the capsule, perineural invasion, seminal vesicle involvement, etc etc. It clearly wasn't diagnosed as advanced PCa as curative RT was offered but the biopsy, DRE and/or scan could determine it was locally advanced.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 Nov 2018 at 09:28

Please see my updated profile, cancer has spread, but various doses of radiotherapy to Sacrum, Ilium, Upper Femur, and Ribs have reduced the pain considerably to the exrent I can drive again (no morphine!).

User
Posted 20 Nov 2018 at 16:51
Peter, are you still on enzalutamide? Docetaxel can be repeated, but if it didn't work first time around, I guess your oncologist would be averse to a second go. May be time some lateral thinking? Gemcitabine offers some hope, perhaps in combination with other agents. Also platinum based drugs like Cisplatin are effective in some in reducing PSA. Are there any trials available to you?

AC